IGNORED

Corona Virus

Palfy

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

My sister in law is going through a course of chemotherapy she had a double mastectomy about 8 weeks ago, now she’s got the added worry of catching Coronavirus with her immune system at its lowest. We are not visiting her just in case we infect her. 

Wise move I think, was my mother-in-law's 89th birthday yesterday but didn't visit. She has daily care but hopefully those that visit are taking the right precautions, sure they are.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Tough times for so many Matt, really wish you the best. I actually feel quite numb to all of this at the mo and quite "fortunate". My mum's death a couple of years back has left us financially quite comfortable (rather be poor and still have my mum but it is what it is); my life hasn't really changed....yet.

Neither has ours yet. Maybe I’m just being paranoid but basics have become my concern. Weird considering we’re quite isolated anyway and have been fortunate enough to have a reasonable income (relatively speaking) for so long. We’re both seeing this as an opportunity though; both time together for the first time in years and a chance to appreciate everything around us (provided we can shop and actually go out!)

Cancelled my two hospital appointments this week (fitting a heart monitor and ECG).  Have decided to self isolate (84 tomorrow) will only leave the house for really urgent issues. We are fortunate in that we are fairly well stocked up and have two daughters who are brilliant.  All the neighbours are retired and we have been exchanging phone numbers,  email addresses.  We are lucky to have very good neighbours.

10 minutes ago, johnh said:

Cancelled my two hospital appointments this week (fitting a heart monitor and ECG).  Have decided to self isolate (84 tomorrow) will only leave the house for really urgent issues. We are fortunate in that we are fairly well stocked up and have two daughters who are brilliant.  All the neighbours are retired and we have been exchanging phone numbers,  email addresses.  We are lucky to have very good neighbours.

Sounds good John, hope you can have a good birthday tomorrow given the circumstances; maybe just for once in your life try a second glass!👍

9 minutes ago, johnh said:

Have already been told to expect a delivery tomorrow -  bottle of single malt!  Good chance of a second glass.

Love a single malt (can't stand the blended stuff) and was introduced to Tamnavulin last year in Glencoe; absolute nectar. As long as there are no travel restrictions we'll be on Skye next month for a fortnight so will visit the Talisker distillery, that's another wondrous brand. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the cure for Covid-19!

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Love a single malt (can't stand the blended stuff) and was introduced to Tamnavulin last year in Glencoe; absolute nectar. As long as there are no travel restrictions we'll be on Skye next month for a fortnight so will visit the Talisker distillery, that's another wondrous brand. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the cure for Covid-19!

Talisker is my “I feel a bit iffy, better cleanse the body” choice. I think I may well choose to be a bit iffy more often than I should be, because it’s a bloody good excuse for a glass of that. One of the best “mottos” too, along with Patek Philipe

I would love to be able to drink whiskey. Or any drink for that matter but old habits/age/ responsibilities mean I made the decision to put alcohol out my life.  Just a few drinks brings out the black dog - as Winston Churchill called it.  Awful anxiety and depression for 2 to 3 days after. Happened when I hit 40.  To be fair i had spent the previous 18 years drinking too much and I think my body told me to piss off. 

40 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Guys, you better prepare to stay at home for the rest of the year at least. This thing is not going to disappear in a few weeks.

How are things in Bulgaria @Haiku? When I was there empty shelves were the norm....but you were still behind the Iron Curtain then so a bit different.:(

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

Springbank (Campbelltown)  is one of my favourites, though my last couple of presents have been Bunnahabhain (Isle of Islay) which I have acquired quite a taste for.

14 hours ago, MikeO said:

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Springbank (Campbelltown)  is one of my favourites, though my last couple of presents have been Bunnahabhain (Isle of Islay) which I have acquired quite a taste for.

Happy birthday John, fair play to you boys and your Whiskey 🥃 I can’t stomach it really have no taste for it what so ever. 

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

same here then they will re-evaluate which means for another couple of months.

Yep -- depending on how much progress we've made (or lack thereof) will determine what comes next. Thankful I'm able to work from home in times like these. My daughter is getting pretty bored though, since we can't really go out and do anything. 

14 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Yep -- depending on how much progress we've made (or lack thereof) will determine what comes next. Thankful I'm able to work from home in times like these. My daughter is getting pretty bored though, since we can't really go out and do anything. 

yeah.  we've got a little check list for the kids.  one learning activity (read, worksheets, art), one outside time (go for a walk, play on the swingset), one ipad learning activity (there are tons of apps that are fun and educational), and one creative time (play lego, play with toys, etc).  after that they can get the ipad and watch disney plus and the like, but it helps to keep it organized and help them to have "school" type things where their brains are still active.  i told my wife we are not teachers so if the plan goes out the window occasionally thats fine.  thankfully i can work from home too, more to help with the kids than anything.  

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah.  we've got a little check list for the kids.  one learning activity (read, worksheets, art), one outside time (go for a walk, play on the swingset), one ipad learning activity (there are tons of apps that are fun and educational), and one creative time (play lego, play with toys, etc).  after that they can get the ipad and watch disney plus and the like, but it helps to keep it organized and help them to have "school" type things where their brains are still active.  i told my wife we are not teachers so if the plan goes out the window occasionally thats fine.  thankfully i can work from home too, more to help with the kids than anything.  

Sounds like you got all sorted mate 👍

I'm working from home from Thursday till a week Monday later. 

Personally I'm very likely to get it.  The train I get is chocka in the mornings until today. 

My wife is a nurse and she thinks she had this virus at the start of November, awful headaches and fever. Said the headache was like nothing she's had before. 

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

How are things in Bulgaria @Haiku? When I was there empty shelves were the norm....but you were still behind the Iron Curtain then so a bit different.:(

These were times I barely have any memory of since I was very young back then. We are currently not much different than most countries in Europe. Of course these are stressful times for everyone, but grocery stores are stocked up and there's plenty of food for everyone. My biggest concern is that our healthcare system, knowing how fragile and underfunded is, will collapse pretty quick when cases rise. Hope that doesn't happen though.

Wife doesn't want to go to Skye next month because she thinks we're "safer" at home; personally I'd still like to go and she said to go on my own but that's not going to happen. Fortunately the site we booked through is allowing people to change their dates at no extra cost (it's already fully paid for) so I think we're going to put it back a year and go April 2021; shame, was really looking forward to it. As it stands we won't get anything back on our hotel in Lockerbie which was a stopover both going and coming back but that's not a big amount.

So now we wait and see how things develop as to whether we get to Greece in September. I have my doubts.

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

All schools to shut after Friday, this is bad news for a lot of families who will struggle with child care, as grandparents we will have to pickup the slack if our health allows it. 

But given the virus is more dangerous the older you get that's not a sensible option for most; certainly not for us with pre-existing medical stuff, my lungs were permanently damaged after pneumonia nearly got me in 1994 and even if we were A1 health-wise there are ten of them and we have a two bed semi so nowhere to put them. Tough times ahead.

19 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Wife doesn't want to go to Skye next month because she thinks we're "safer" at home; personally I'd still like to go and she said to go on my own but that's not going to happen. Fortunately the site we booked through is allowing people to change their dates at no extra cost (it's already fully paid for) so I think we're going to put it back a year and go April 2021; shame, was really looking forward to it. As it stands we won't get anything back on our hotel in Lockerbie which was a stopover both going and coming back but that's not a big amount.

So now we wait and see how things develop as to whether we get to Greece in September. I have my doubts.

But given the virus is more dangerous the older you get that's not a sensible option for most; certainly not for us with pre-existing medical stuff, my lungs were permanently damaged after pneumonia nearly got me in 1994 and even if we were A1 health-wise there are ten of them and we have a two bed semi so nowhere to put them. Tough times ahead.

Very tough times ahead mate, with out trying to sound to melodramatic about things, it’s going to be like writing this year off when it comes to doing the normal day to day things we take for granted. 

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Zero new cases in China yesterday for the first time, has to be a good sign doesn't it?

It does mate, now the world are waiting to see that if they go clear for a week or so, and if so whether a fresh outbreak will startup if it does that will be bad news for us all, and will probably mean this virus could be with us for a long time.