Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

German Bundesliga resumes tomorrow, for better or worse. A bit of a trip down Memory Lane for me as I can watch Borussia Monchengladbach at Eintracht Frankfurt. I was a massive fan of BMG during the seventies. They had an amazing team and produced some world class players (Netzer, Bonhof, Matthaus, Heynckes, Effenberg, to name a few). I looked back at some of my old Shoot magazines from the 70s (a good way of keeping up with what was going on in Europe and a good Geography lesson, too - lost count of the amount of times a teacher would ask if anyone knew where Nantes or Ostrava or Tblisi was, and I knew them from the football map!) to refresh my memory. They played Everton in the European Cup in 1970, I think (Everton won on penalties, I believe - the first ever shootout). Probably best known in this country for losing to Liverpool in the 77 European Cup Final. They were favourites going into it but had injuries and played poorly. It wasn't just Everton that came unstuck in Finals against Liverpool. Anyway, will watch on Saturday and will cheer them on. If you don't know much about them, worth checking them out on YouTube. They had a brilliant team.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Formby said:

German Bundesliga resumes tomorrow, for better or worse. A bit of a trip down Memory Lane for me as I can watch Borussia Monchengladbach at Eintracht Frankfurt. I was a massive fan of BMG during the seventies. They had an amazing team and produced some world class players (Netzer, Bonhof, Matthaus, Heynckes, Effenberg, to name a few). I looked back at some of my old Shoot magazines from the 70s (a good way of keeping up with what was going on in Europe and a good Geography lesson, too - lost count of the amount of times a teacher would ask if anywhere knew where Nantes or Ostrava or Tblisi was, and I knew them from the football map!) to refresh my memory. They played Everton in the European Cup in 1970, I think (Everton won on penalties, I believe - the first ever shootout). Probably best known in this country for losing to Liverpool in the 77 European Cup Final. They were favourites going into it but had injuries and played poorly. It wasn't just Everton that came unstuck in Finals against Liverpool. Anyway, will watch on Saturday and will cheer them on. If you don't know much about them, worth checking them out on YouTube. They had a brilliant team.   

Remember Andy Rankin made the save to win it at Goodison after two 1-1 draws. Gordon West was injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Remember Andy Rankin made the save to win it at Goodison after two 1-1 draws. Gordon West was injured.

Were you there, Mike?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Formby said:

Were you there, Mike?

No, I wish. Was only ten, can't even remember whether it was on TV or radio or, as was often the case for evening kick offs back then I only found out when I looked an the paper the following morning. Found it (with German commentary), shoot-out was chaotic in comparison to the modern version.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52632680

Schalke - managed by ex-Huddersfield boss David Wagner - have two British players - first-choice right-back Jonjoe Kenny (on loan from Everton) and Wales international Rabbi Matondo. They are the third-most popular team in Germany but have never won the Bundesliga since its formation in 1963.

If they were an English team: Everton (they play in blue, have Kenny and are rivals to Borussia Dortmund, who we compared to Liverpool earlier)

Why should you support Schalke? They have two British players, they have a big fanbase, you support Huddersfield

Why shouldn't you support Schalke? You like goals. Their 33 goals is one of the lowest totals in the league and only two teams have taken fewer shots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

No, I wish. Was only ten, can't even remember whether it was on TV or radio or, as was often the case for evening kick offs back then I only found out when I looked an the paper the following morning. Found it (with German commentary), shoot-out was chaotic in comparison to the modern version.

 

Yes, some dodgy goalkeeping on both sides there. Was West injured or dropped? Read he had a howler in the previous round, which is why Rankin was in? Everton and BMG were probably two of the best three in the tournament so it was deflating we couldn't get past Panathinaikos in the next round. Catterick was sure the referee was bought, though, and Brian Glanville wrote that he outrageously favoured them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Formby said:

Yes, some dodgy goalkeeping on both sides there. Was West injured or dropped? Read he had a howler in the previous round, which is why Rankin was in? Everton and BMG were probably two of the best three in the tournament so it was deflating we couldn't get past Panathinaikos in the next round. Catterick was sure the referee was bought, though, and Brian Glanville wrote that he outrageously favoured them. 

Not sure, just assumed. West's last appearance for us at the time was in the first leg of the previous round when we beat Keflavik 6-2 at Goodison (he scored an own goal admittedly) so Rankin was on a run of ten games by the second Borussia match and in fact he played every other game that season. 71/72 West was back in from the beginning, so maybe it was injury or maybe not; I'll do a bit more digging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...