IGNORED

Weston McKennie

Would love to see us go for Weston. I think a partnership of he and Gomes would be stellar, as Weston is much more comfortable sitting in front of the back line, which would allow Andre more freedom to go forward. 

And of course I'm biased because he's a Yank, but even without these rose-colored glasses, he'd be a great signing.

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Would love to see us go for Weston. I think a partnership of he and Gomes would be stellar, as Weston is much more comfortable sitting in front of the back line, which would allow Andre more freedom to go forward. 

And of course I'm biased because he's a Yank, but even without these rose-colored glasses, he'd be a great signing.

I agree. He never stops running and is good in defense and attack. He can also score from set pieces which is a bonus. I I think he would complement Gomes very well. 

He’s an American we should sign him for that alone other than pulisic we’ll get a lot of press from the states (like we did with Howard).  Could be worthwhile investment that way.

as a player it’s a yes as well, this would be a great signing.  Speaks English and has played abroad in a top league already, it shouldn’t be a hard adjustment.

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

He’s an American we should sign him for that alone other than pulisic we’ll get a lot of press from the states (like we did with Howard).  Could be worthwhile investment that way.

as a player it’s a yes as well, this would be a great signing.  Speaks English and has played abroad in a top league already, it shouldn’t be a hard adjustment.

You’re also American. Should we sign you on that basis? 😂

1 hour ago, StevO said:

You’re also American. Should we sign you on that basis? 😂

I don’t have the profile he does, so no.  We have a lot of fans on here and matchdays at Goodison from America because of Howard.  It’s smart from a commercial perspective too (see man United’s kit sponsor) to get more visibility in the states.  I’m all for good players but surely moshiri and the board thinking of this marketing stuff as well?  Cahill got us a ton of Aussie fans, had Cenk kicked on wed have gotten Turks too.

im not saying sign people just because of this. But I would hope someone is thinking of this stuff and how to maximize profits.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I don’t have the profile he does, so no.  We have a lot of fans on here and matchdays at Goodison from America because of Howard.  It’s smart from a commercial perspective too (see man United’s kit sponsor) to get more visibility in the states.  I’m all for good players but surely moshiri and the board thinking of this marketing stuff as well?  Cahill got us a ton of Aussie fans, had Cenk kicked on wed have gotten Turks too.

im not saying sign people just because of this. But I would hope someone is thinking of this stuff and how to maximize profits.

Don’t buy players because of what they can do for the sales figures, buy them for what they call on the pitch. Even as a shareholder I don’t give a crap about the financial performance, I care about what happens on the pitch. 

I can guarantee when Moyes was looking at Tim Cahill he didn’t give one thought to the exposure in Australia. 
Turkish football fans are massively tribal, they follow their own clubs with huge passion. Doubt they will start worrying about buying Everton shirts because of Tosun. 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Don’t buy players because of what they can do for the sales figures, buy them for what they call on the pitch. Even as a shareholder I don’t give a crap about the financial performance, I care about what happens on the pitch. 

I can guarantee when Moyes was looking at Tim Cahill he didn’t give one thought to the exposure in Australia. 
Turkish football fans are massively tribal, they follow their own clubs with huge passion. Doubt they will start worrying about buying Everton shirts because of Tosun. 

I agree, performance is always number one.  But look at Juve with Ronaldo, what’s wrong when performance and marketing are both on your side?

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I agree, performance is always number one.  But look at Juve with Ronaldo, what’s wrong when performance and marketing are both on your side?

He’s the best player in the world and we aren’t in that market. 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I agree we’ve seen it with the likes of Beckham, that teams will pay big money for certain players based slightly on the knowledge that there shirt sales will rocket round the world, after all football is a business. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree we’ve seen it with the likes of Beckham, that teams will pay big money for certain players based slightly on the knowledge that there shirt sales will rocket round the world, after all football is a business. 

There is a massive difference when those players are Ronaldo and Beckham. You know they will perform just as good on the pitch as they did in the club shop. They were the best in the game. 

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

that is cheap for a talented up and coming player.  we should be all over that.  instead we will probabbly buy him from soton in 2 years for 50m and think we are hot shit.  FFS

That’s the problem ‘talented up and coming’... we need ready now, proven quality who Ancelotti can rely on straight away. We have talented young first team players in Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin, Holgate, Branthwaite, Gordon, Kean, Davies (!) even Iwobi and Gbamin - we need some more senior players ready to hit the ground running. In Allan, someone Ancelotti knows well, and Doucoure, someone who has looked very good in this league playing for an average Watford, there are 2 players at the ‘peak’ of their career who will hopefully help transform our pathetic midfield.

I will add, my preference is always signing young up and coming talent but I don’t think we’re in the position to sign another Kean who may need a year to get used to new country etc. we can do that next summer when we’ve got a settled squad (who have just won an FA Cup and finished in the top 4).

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

That’s the problem ‘talented up and coming’... we need ready now, proven quality who Ancelotti can rely on straight away. We have talented young first team players in Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin, Holgate, Branthwaite, Gordon, Kean, Davies (!) even Iwobi and Gbamin - we need some more senior players ready to hit the ground running. In Allan, someone Ancelotti knows well, and Doucoure, someone who has looked very good in this league playing for an average Watford, there are 2 players at the ‘peak’ of their career who will hopefully help transform our pathetic midfield.

i'm all for allan AND this guy.  have the steady vet play for 2-3 years with mckennie rotating in and then taking over the reigns.  with injuries, cup games and Carlo's standard rotation there should be plenty of action.

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

I would say putting the "up and coming" tag on him is a little unfair (although he is young and still has a lot of potential). He's been in the Schalke first team for a couple of years now starts pretty much every game for them. Physically he's definitely ready for this league as well. Then again, it is Schalke and they're in shambles atm. 

Kean had barely broken through to the first team when we signed up. 

Definitely no American bias on my part either. 🙄

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Haven’t they just made a sale to fund it ?

They sold Hojbjerg but have since signed Walker-Peters and a centre-back from La Liga. I think the big difference is that they don’t have the massively overpaid deadweight that we have. Players like Tosun, Bolasie, Bešić, Sandro, etc will have a massive influence on the moves we make this summer - fail to find solutions and it could prove very frustrating!