IGNORED

Sheffield United (Away) Monday July 20th

markjazzbassist

they got beat by leicester today and we drew with villa.  they are still fighting for a Europa league spot and our season is over just fighting to stay in 11th really.  I hope we come out motivated again and fight.  i'm guessing holgate will be injured for this one and Mina too.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Branthwaite Digne

Walcott Davies Gomes Gordon

DCL Richarlison

On 16/07/2020 at 20:01, markjazzbassist said:

they got beat by leicester today and we drew with villa.  they are still fighting for a Europa league spot and our season is over just fighting to stay in 11th really.  I hope we come out motivated again and fight.  i'm guessing holgate will be injured for this one and Mina too.

Pickford

Coleman Keane Branthwaite Digne

Walcott Davies Gomes Gordon

DCL Richarlison

I suppose that's the best team we could pick all in all. At least we'd get to see Branthwait and Gordon have a run out again. Would possibly like to see Kean start ahead of Dom if I'm being picky.  Nothing to play for anymore not even our pride apparently. 

There's literally nothing we're playing for these next 2 games (the bit of extra prize money for a place or two higher is nothing compared to the value of having a better idea for next season; plus, our owner is loaded). I want us to start Moise Kean (especially him), Branthwaite, Beni and Gordon.  I know what Davies, DCL and Walcott can do, I don't know what Beni, Gordon and Kean can do. Fuck these last 2 games, this has been a miserable season that will be erased from my memory the moment the final whistle blows against Bournemouth. Showcase the kids. The shower of shit that apparently comprises our "best team" has had all season to show what they can do, and it turns out they can't do much.  

We need to win before the end of the season otherwise we could be looking at another hard season next year. 

I think people under estimate how much a good end to the season can make especially with this shorter than normal break and how it will look to potential incoming signings (albeit the latter boat has now sailed). 

We should be going a out to win these two games, however we end up having to do it.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

We need to win before the end of the season otherwise we could be looking at another hard season next year. 

I think people under estimate how much a good end to the season can make especially with this shorter than normal break and how it will look to potential incoming signings (albeit the latter boat has now sailed). 

We should be going a out to win these two games, however we end up having to do it.

This. Or it's poor old Everton, never quite there. OK we aren't but a couple of wins boosts morale (especially of us long-suffering supporters).

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I’m worried, too, about what threatens to be a continuation of our end-of-season collapse.  Two final humiliating defeats would mean a pathetic 2 points taken from our final 6 matches.  Other than the 3 relegated clubs, our Toffees are the next most embarrassing story.  

I don’t expect to win tomorrow, but I hope Ancelotti will think outside the box to give us a better chance.  Desperately plugging this player or that into a 4-4-2 is more of the same, and not promising just now.

So, my (also admittedly desperate) take on Bailey’s “however we end up having to do it” looks like this —

1. 4-3-1-2

Pickford

Coleman   Keane   Branthwaite   Baines

Walcott           Gomes               Digne

Gordon

Kean                Richarlison

2. The width to be provided by Walcott and Digne, not Coleman and Baines.  For tomorrow’s match, our fullbacks cannot attack.  If we get a penalty — fat chance — let Baines take it.

3. We have no capable DM, period.  Great hope Gbamin injured all season, desperate hope Delph injured much of the season, missing hope Baningime not part of Ancelotti’s plan this season, jack-of-some-trades Davies has shown he can’t ply his trade defensively, and Gomes can only be effective as playmaker in the middle 50 yards of the pitch.  In the absence of any plausible DM, therefore, all 4 defenders must stay home, crossing midfield in only very limited circumstances, e.g., Keane and Branthwaite in the box for corners.

4. Walcott and Digne have to run the touchline all match long.  Attack and defend.  They’ll need the water breaks.

5. Gordon as a 10.  He seems to possess some creativity, courage.

6. If behind on 60 minutes, subs from Sigurdsson (who cannot defend but can turn and blast and can score from a free kick), Sidibé (who might put in a good cross), DCL.

33 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

We have no capable DM, period.  Great hope Gbamin injured all season, desperate hope Delph injured much of the season, missing hope Baningime not part of Ancelotti’s plan this season, jack-of-some-trades Davies has shown he can’t ply his trade defensively, and Gomes can only be effective as playmaker in the middle 50 yards of the pitch.  In the absence of any plausible DM, therefore, all 4 defenders must stay home, crossing midfield in only very limited circumstances, e.g., Keane and Branthwaite in the box for corners.

Davies has been better defensively, putting a tackle in and not getting ran past like he isn't even there, and offensively, picking a pass and actually getting his arse over the half way line, than Gomes. 

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Davies has been better defensively, putting a tackle in and not getting ran past like he isn't even there, and offensively, picking a pass and actually getting his arse over the half way line, than Gomes. 

I repeat that Gomes seems effective only in the middle 50 yards of the pitch, as a playmaker.  For me, he’s far superior to Davies as passer-playmaker.  I agree with you that Davies is the better defender of the 2, but it’s a low standard, so I won’t say Davies is a solid DM.

My 4-3-1-2 depends on all 4 backline defenders staying back.  No FBs going forward, or rarely.

I don’t predict Ancelotti will follow my advice.  I’d guess he’ll plug this usual suspect or that into a 4-4-2.  Maybe it will work.  I’d settle for a spirited effort and a point.  But that would be settling, as we need a couple of wins, a dramatic turnaround to our embarrassing storyline.

54 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Pete, neither one of them completed a tackle against Villa. Not a single one.

Something different.

Pickford

coleman Braithwaite Keane Digne 

Baines

Gomes              Gordon 

Iwobi              Kean              Richarlison 

17 hours ago, pete0 said:

You obviously didn't watch him against Villa.

12 hours ago, Btay said:

Something different.

Pickford

coleman Braithwaite Keane Digne 

Baines

Gomes              Gordon 

Iwobi              Kean              Richarlison 

Quite like that but I’d still have DCL up and centre with Kean shifted over to replace Iwobi

15 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Blecchhh!  Don’t see any outside-the-box thinking by Ancelotti here.  Sidibé is no RB.  Sigurdsson is no LW.  Kean not even on bench.  Injured?  Gordon should start.  Mostly bummed about this look.  Thrilled with a win, hope for a point, expect to lose with little fight.

Kean picked up an injury in training according to the club. 

I at least hope that its 3 in midfield with two wide men but I doubt it.

If its not we are going to get massively over run in midfield against their 3, plus their wing backs, plus their overlapping centre back. 

As much as I have criticised them recently Gomes and Davies have no chance.