• Lucas Digne
    • André Gomes
    • Gylfi Sigurðsson
    • Tom Davies
    • Dominic Calvert-Lewin
    • Theo Walcott
    • Richarlison
    • Anthony Gordon

Current Player of the Season standings....
Dominic Calvert-Lewin...102
Richarlison...101
Yerry Mina...90
Mason Holgate...67
Lucas Digne...67
Djibril Sidibé...56
Bernard...52
Tom Davies...51
Jordan Pickford...48
Séamus Coleman...45
Alex Iwobi...40
Michael Keane...36
André Gomes...31
Fabian Delph...25
Leighton Baines...21
Anthony Gordon...12
Morgan Schneiderlin...11
Theo Walcott...8
Jarrad Branthwaite...7
Moise Kean...6
Gylfi Sigurðsson...5
Cenk Tosun...4
Jean-Philippe Gbamin...1

Previous MOTM winners...
Aston Villa (H)*...Jarrad Branthwaite/Michael Keane tie
Wolves (A)*...Lucas Digne
Southampton (H)*...Richarlison
Tottenham Hotspur (A)*...Anthony Gordon
Leicester (H)*...Michael Keane
Norwich (A)*...Alex Iwobi
Liverpool (H)*...Seamus Coleman
Chelsea (A)...Jordan Pickford
Manchester United (H)...Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Arsenal (A)...Richarlison
Crystal Palace (H)...Richarlison
Watford (A)...Mason Holgate
Newcastle (H)...Bernard
Brighton (H)...Bernard
Liverpool (A FA Cup)...Conceded due to outbreak of African trypanosomiasis in EFC squad
Manchester City (A)...Seamus Coleman & Yerry Mina tie
Newcastle (A)...Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Burnley (H)...Djibril Sidibé
Arsenal (H)...Yerry Mina
Leicester City (H League Cup)...Leighton Baines
Manchester United (A)...Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Chelsea (H)...Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Liverpool (A)...Yerry Mina
Leicester (A)...Djibril Sidibé
Norwich (H)...Tom Davies
Southampton (A)...Tom Davies
Tottenham (H)...Tom Davies
Watford (H-League Cup)...Mason Holgate & Theo Walcott tie
Brighton (A)...Mason Holgate & Tom Davies tie
West Ham (H)...André Gomes
Burnley (A)...Yerri Mina
Manchester City (H)...Seamus Coleman
Sheffield Wednesday (A)...Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Sheffield United (H)...Lucas Digne
Bournemouth (A)...Lucas Digne
Wolves (H)...Fabian Delph
Lincoln City (A)...Lucas Digne
Aston Villa (A)...Yerry Mina
Watford (H)...Yerry Mina
Crystal Palace (A)...Jordan Pickford

*Behind closed doors

Went for Keane. Branthwaite was very good, but had a few shaky moments... Keane was solid throughout.

Richarlison was his usual self, nonstop.

Gomes was a different player tonight.

Digne was like a Duracell bunny.

Pickford was bored.

DCL just realised he is a big guy.

Well done boys.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Yeah the 4231 suits our players so much better.  Davies and Gylfi were a lot better too.  

We look so much better with 3 in midfield, we are more solid having more options in midfield. Davies and Gomes look so much more effective. Both were lacking confidence going into the match but looked better and better as the match went on.

19 hours ago, Shukes said:

Went for Keane. Branthwaite was very good, but had a few shaky moments... Keane was solid throughout.

Richarlison was his usual self, nonstop.

Gomes was a different player tonight.

Digne was like a Duracell bunny.

Pickford was bored.

DCL just realised he is a big guy.

Well done boys.

What did you think of Walcott Shukester, I never saw it some thought he had one of his better matches, you haven’t mentioned him?

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

What did you think of Walcott Shukester, I never saw it some thought he had one of his better matches, you haven’t mentioned him?

He was positive without being effective I thought. Didn’t have a bad match by any counts,  but failed when it counted. Him and DCL played a beautiful one two after some really good build up play, but he failed with the final ball while having space inside the area. But this isn’t saying he had a bad game at all, he was forward thinking and positive throughout.

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I did notice in match day that you thought he had played well for once, let’s hope it’s not just a flash in the pan, I’ve always known it was in him he just needs to be more consistent with it. 

yeah i'm very harsh on him, never rated him, but he was alright.  like i said i think he will be a valuable bench player for us in the coming season.  offers pace and a threat and kept their CB and LB occupied so we could rampage the midfield.

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

ill add that he put some nice balls in the box, no one there to get on the end of them but it's nice to see that instaed of tippy tappy around the box.

I can't think of any off of the top of my head that were any good. I remember he had a couple of fairly easy balls to square but failed at that.

He is such a frustrating player because he plays so much within himself.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I can't think of any off of the top of my head that were any good. I remember he had a couple of fairly easy balls to square but failed at that.

he put 2 perfectly in the box that the keeper couldn't get and didn't get.  sadly DCL and richarlison were no where to be found.  one was a low cross the other was a swerving high cross that would have been a sitter at the back post

The low cross was from the through ball from DCL wasn’t it? DCL then ran towards the penalty spot area and the ball was played along the six yard box. 
I agree it was good to see him playing balls into the box though. Keep doing that and strikers will start to bust a lung to get on there.

Forwards have to work together to make it work.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

Didn't he put in the one that DC-L hit the post with? On the subject of putting the balls into the right area isn't it as much about the winger looking up and seeing what his options are rather than hit and hope that one of the strikers will be on the end of it? The strikers have a lot of area to cover. If you go back to the likes of Trevor Steven his crosses invariably found a man and that was as much down to him as it was his strikers.

22 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

he put 2 perfectly in the box that the keeper couldn't get and didn't get.  sadly DCL and richarlison were no where to be found.  one was a low cross the other was a swerving high cross that would have been a sitter at the back post

If the players arent there its tough to describe them as good balls. I agree that it can be the fault of both though.

18 hours ago, MikeO said:

Didn't he put in the one that DC-L hit the post with? On the subject of putting the balls into the right area isn't it as much about the winger looking up and seeing what his options are rather than hit and hope that one of the strikers will be on the end of it? The strikers have a lot of area to cover. If you go back to the likes of Trevor Steven his crosses invariably found a man and that was as much down to him as it was his strikers.

Yeh that was a good ball. I thought I edited my post to include that but after checking I didn't! Having said that though, he had all the time in the world to put the ball in but I had that argument with a Sidibe assist earlier in the year without success so I won't try it again!

I agree completely with the second part of your post. A lot of the time its down the relationship between the strikers and winger. Ultimately the striker needs to know when the ball is going to be crossed so that they can time their run. If a balls goes in and no-one is there its usually because the striker didn't think the winger was going to play the ball at that point or at that part of the goal. Personally I think the best wingers get the space and just put the ball in. None of this trickery when they get to the byline, stopping and starting or checking onto a different foot.

In the year that Rooney scored loads of goals for Utd him and Valencia felt like they had a telepathic relationship as every cross Valencia hit felt like it went to Rooney. It was simply that Rooney knew when Valencia was going to put the ball in the box and Valencia was good enough to anticipate his run and put the ball in that area.

Martinez said in an interview years ago that his forwards need to make the same runs time and time again so the wingers need to know exactly where to put the ball. 
Ideally someone running front post, someone back post and someone hanging on the penalty spot. Then a winger can pick one of three options every time. 
Im sure the theory works, but no doubt with Martinez there wasn’t anyone cover a counter attack the back. 

9 hours ago, StevO said:

Martinez said in an interview years ago that his forwards need to make the same runs time and time again so the wingers need to know exactly where to put the ball. 
Ideally someone running front post, someone back post and someone hanging on the penalty spot. Then a winger can pick one of three options every time. 
Im sure the theory works, but no doubt with Martinez there wasn’t anyone cover a counter attack the back. 

Martinez really did know his shit for some things, and in others he was hopelessly naive.

He winds me up because if he'd been less rigid we really could, and should, have achieved a lot under him.

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Martinez really did know his shit for some things, and in others he was hopelessly naive.

He winds me up because if he'd been less rigid we really could, and should, have achieved a lot under him.

The nearly men every year under him... nearly top 4 in his first season playing some phenomenal football, looked like we could have gone all the way in Europe the next, then 2 domestic semis in this final season... he just didn’t have that little bit of whatever was needed to turn his ‘encouraging’ era into a legacy. So frustrating on reflection but watching us, especially towards the end of his time, was painful... and sadly a sign of things to come!!!