IGNORED

Spurs (Away) 13.09.2020

Zoo 2.0

First game of the season, always something to look forward to regardless of the opposition or the summer we've had. I think that this is a tricky test for us given the side that they've got (regardless of how they're imploding under Mourinho) and with a 'clean slate' heading into this season will provide us with enough problems to think about. Playing Tottenham later in the season would have been ideal, but then on the flip side why not start the season with a win against tough opposition? There are no easy games in this league after all!

image.png.d6bd050443cf099792169454f3a861ca.png

My proposed XI is above; Pickford inbetween the sticks with Holgate and Keane in front of him as our initial centre-back partnership. I'm desperately hoping that Yerry can get a clean break this season and string together a decent amount of games as I'm adamant that there's a fantastic player in him, he's turned out to be one of the most frustrating signings for me as I was ecstatic when we bought him. Hopefully Holgate's injury isn't too bad and he can get himself fit for the opening game, he's turned into a really exciting prospect that could be gearing up for his breakout year, us playing out from the back via Holgate to the midfield is something that I really think we should be using. 

Digne starts on the left with Kenny on the right, I love Seamus Coleman but think that it's now or never if we're going to start phasing him out of the side. Jonjoe didn't do a bad job at all at Schalke, and they themselves confirmed that any second loan/permanent move was blocked as he's part of Carlo's plans, so why not us him from the start? Hopefully his energy is something that we can use to our advantage with both he and Lucas shuttling down the wings. 

I've gone for three in midfield, Allan as the holding midfielder to allow André and James (should he sign) freedom to operate in the attacking third. Our midfield was wafer thin last season and our biggest achilles heel so hopefully the inclusion of Allan in a deeper role allows us to have the stability that was so badly needed - I'm in the minority that actually thinks Gylfi has something about him, but I don't see how he fits into the Starting XI when everyone is fit, unless of course we move James out onto the right-wing. 

Speaking of the wing, Richarlison starts on the left with Bernard out on the right, I know that the latter is strongest on the opposite flank but would prefer to see him start over Gylfi (who would be totally out of position for me) and Theo who I just don't think is good enough for a guaranteed XI spot. Both would tuck inside as much as possible to leave the flank open for both Digne and Kenny to exploit the overlap. Domenic Calvert-Lewin as expected starts as the lone striker for me, I toyed with the idea of going with a 4-4-2 but just don't think we've seen enough of Moise Kean to justify him being a guaranteed starter, with all going well (fingers crossed) he can have the last half an hour coming on for DCL.

The key to winning this game will be nullifying the threat from the wing, a role which falls to our new signing, Allan. Holding the final third and stopping the likes of Lo Celso, Son and Moura from cutting inside will both stop the threats from they themselves and also reduce the amount of key chances that fall to Harry Kane. Personally, I'm not a massive fan of the Spurs side other than the players that operate in the final third so believe that stopping this threat will go a long way to winning this game. 

Those are just my thoughts though, put a gun to my head and I'll take a draw in truth but would obviously be ecstatic with the full three points. It doesn't quite feel like football is back yet with not having access to the stadium, but it's still the start of 'Act II' under Ancelotti, something which I'm waiting like a kid at Christmas for. 

• Zoo 2.0 changed the title to Spurs (Away) 13.09.2020

I'm not really a fan of Spurs either. I don't think they are a great side any more but they are still a pain in the arse to play against them. I thought the same at the end of last season though when they should have battered us but that just showed where we were at that point. 

I suspect Coleman will start rather than Kenny. Whoever plays wide will be a threat and Coleman is probably our best defensive full back. 

Keane is probably the only guarenteed centre back. Holgate, Mina and Branthwaite have knocks. I don’t think Holgate is good enough to be someone that you want him to be playing injured against Harry Kane and the likes. Id say the same about the other 2 centre backs as well. I think Branthwaite only had a minor knock so it would be between him and Gibson at a guess. 

Presumably Allan will be thrown straight in so that probably leaves Gomes and Siggy to start in the other midfield slots. I don't see it being anyone else bar Richarlison, DCL and Walcott playing in the most advanced positions. 

I would be surprised if James is thrown in for anything more than a few mins if / when he signs. He has a history of injuries and he has barely played football in the last two seasons. Doucoure is likely to need some time as well. 

Regardless of the score, I would like to see us play with some of the pace, dynamism and intent that we played with against Preston. 

I like the formation Zoo just a couple of changes for me Gylfi for James who I don’t think will start or make the bench, Iwobi for Bernard who feel is a stronger player and I believe Ancelotti likes, and Mina for Holgate who maybe struggling with the injury, and finally Coleman for Kenny. 
I think in your selection our right hand side would lack to much experience for a Spurs side and we would easily be exploited, if you are going to put Bernard or Iwobi out wide you would need the experience of Coleman behind, and at the moment if you played Kenny I feel you would need the experience of Walcott in front of him. 

4 minutes ago, comeonyouspurs said:

It should make for an interesting encounter on Sunday, I must admit I am going to have to show my bias and opt for a home win. Will be keen to see how both clubs fare and what kind of opening weekend marker they can lay down.

Its anyones game. Without a proper pre season and a lack of game time new signings have had you couldnt predict it. Hojbjerg has had time to bed in for you but im not sure if he will start or not. 

My guess is a cagey draw, if not spurs will edge it with the home advantage. 

4 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Its anyones game. Without a proper pre season and a lack of game time new signings have had you couldnt predict it. Hojbjerg has had time to bed in for you but im not sure if he will start or not. 

My guess is a cagey draw, if not spurs will edge it with the home advantage. 

Hojbjerg has not pulled up the most trees in pre-season (nor have we as a whole), so it will be interesting to see if selected, what he can do in a more competitive environment.

22 minutes ago, comeonyouspurs said:

Hojbjerg has not pulled up the most trees in pre-season (nor have we as a whole), so it will be interesting to see if selected, what he can do in a more competitive environment.

I am glad we didn't sign him. I think he flattered at Southampton...

Spurs are a big side and I wonder how he will fare. Not a bad signing but I think just a squad player. Not sure just my opinion. 

Spurs are a very good side, not sure how M will have them playing as Spurs have lots of firepower and he likes a good defensive side.

Should be a good game. Hope we play 2 of our new signings from the start. Thinking draw due to both sides lack of preseason. 

Hoping for an overdue Everton win tho!

3 hours ago, comeonyouspurs said:

Hi Guys, Spurs fan in peace – I write for a website spursforlife and just wanted to give a bit of opposition insight for the weekend ahead.

If the fixture was played last weekend, I’d be a lot more confident but now that you’ve got three new midfielders to call upon, that confidence has dissipated slightly and I think it will be a much closer encounter than when we met at the tail end of last season.

I think its fair to say both managers have had their “bedding in period” and now it is time to show what both Mourinho and Ancelotti can really do as the captains of their respective ships – with that said are their ultimate ambitions slightly different.

There’s always been an interesting link between the two clubs, as we’ve both been in the shadows of crosstown rivals and when you look at the league positions across the Premier League there is a relative amount of symmetry.

With that said, Tottenham have found an ascendency that Everton have been striving for over the past couple of seasons (albeit with our own element of regression to boot) and once again, it comes down to trying to break the glass ceiling as it were.

For Tottenham there is a sense that top four is the minimum but I don’t think that will be easy when you consider the business that the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United have carried out over the off-season.

While if you look at Everton, the first step will be a return to European football and who knows even a first trophy in more than 25 years (although I should not pontificate too much about trophies, as we’re not all that better in terms of drought).

It should make for an interesting encounter on Sunday, I must admit I am going to have to show my bias and opt for a home win. Will be keen to see how both clubs fare and what kind of opening weekend marker they can lay down.

Good post yes many of us see spurs in a sister club kind of way in how we should emulate rising back to the top. Honestly pre-mou I really liked your squad and loved potch but mou has been and will always be a guy who wins stuff while burning down the house.  Sadly it won’t be long before he has ruined a few players on his way out and spurs are left in shambles.  I just don’t get the hiring, Levy is shrewd as it gets but mou made no sense.  Complete opposite of potch tactically and man management wise. Oh well.  On paper you have some nice players in Kane son alderwiereled lo celso.  I don’t rate lloris alli (he gonna show up this year?) or your fullbacks.  Mou pushing your record signing out in ndombele is classic mou.  I see a draw, I think the mou implosion already started some last year, if he can’t get Kane going I don’t think Moura is the answer (he loves moura doesn’t he).  As for Everton, new signings have no time, but Carlo had us defensively sound last year and if Allan plays he can help with them too.  I don’t fancy us to be creative attacking side just yet, more time is needed with James to do so. So I think it’s the classic cagey draw.  1-1 or something.  

Going to be a funny old first game of the season, very short break, no proper pre-season and without the presence of fans buzzing in anticipation of what the new season will bring. 

Spurs away is a fairly tough opening fixture,(we don't fair to well there!!) and our new midfeild will be a month away from any sort of 'game' understanding. I can't see all three starting. I think if Rodriguze starts it may be out on thw wing (to potentially provide a magic moment) rather than in the middle as any sort of orchastrating number 10.

What i would really like to see in todays game is a positive reaction from our incumbent players who let both themselves and us fans down last year. A lot might be playing for their future at the club. After last season, if see effort, passion and desire today i will be happy. I am confident that if this happens the good results will come, even if we just fall short today in this tricky fixture. 

Note: think Allan will start, but i really hope Rodriguze is ready to play!!!!  Can't wait to see him. 

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Untitled.png.eb13983e6e47c8305c438cc7197d491c.png

Don't expect to see all 3 signings start and am doubtful he will put both Allan and Doucoure together from the get go. 

Doucoure to come on and Gomes could be pushed out onto the left. 

Doucoure will play I think.  Premier league proven, naturally fit.  Doucoure and Allan partnership.