IGNORED

Moyes: Victor's Key Role

Cloud

David Moyes has predicted teenage striker Victor Anichebe will have a vital role to play for Everton this term.

The 18-year-old ended pre-season as top scorer but had to wait until the midweek Carling Cup clash with Peterborough before getting his first start for Everton's senior side in a competitive match.

He produced a typically robust and threatening performance and played a key role in the winning goal, which was eventually turned in from close range by Tim Cahill.

Moyes has been impressed by the Academy product's progress since joining the first-team squad on a regular basis last term.

And he is in no doubt the forward's power and pace will come in very useful for the Blues in the months ahead.

He revealed: "At Peterborough Victor did what he had been doing throughout pre-season. We know we have a really good player there and one that we will use at the right time. He will play his part this season and I actually expect him to play a good part and a big part at certain times."

However, Anichebe is likely to have to settle for a watching brief when the Blues travel to Newcastle on Saturday - provided he overcomes the back injury which has restricted his training pattern since the win at London Road.

But Moyes continues: "I think importantly, the squad here has to be used. If we kept using the same players in every game it may not catch up on us just now but it certainly will later on and so I felt it was right that players I felt were ready to play got an opportunity.

Sometimes it is difficult in those sort of games (Carling Cup) when you leave a few players out because it is a little unfair. But in the main one or two have stood up and done quite well."It was important we did keep things ticking over in midweek. We are beyond the start of the season now and you only need to look at some of the other midweek results to realise the one at Peterborough was a decent one."

--------------------------------------------------

I was very inpressed with him in the Carling Cup, he puts himself about alot and looked up for it. Posh couldn't handle him and was unlucky not to get a goal and at least 2 pens as he traied to turn the players but then had hold of him. But wa inpressed and would like him to be in the 16 man squad going to Newcastle

Yeah, if he continues to improve, we could have a Star in our ranks, and i think Victor may be on the Verge of putting himself ahead of James.

He's a big strong Fucka now, but in 12months time he'll be enormous.

I also hope Vaughan starts making it back into the Squad.

It seems we now have an embarassment of riches up front, makes a nice change dontchyathink. At some point Ginge has to release the boy on the Premiership.

AJ and Vic to start at Toon?. I hope so.

ATB

Mac

51577[/snapback]

I think not but he's definatly knocking on the door and giving the manager something to think about which can only be good for Everton as a whole :D

I think not but he's definatly knocking on the door and giving the manager something to think about which can only be good for Everton as a whole  :D

51581[/snapback]

I agree not to push too fast, maybe wait for the cup next round.

Back to 4-5-1 against the nukes stifle their m/field and we should do them.

I agree not to push too fast, maybe wait for the cup next round.

Back to 4-5-1 against the nukes stifle their m/field and we should do them.

51586[/snapback]

I wouldnt have a problem playing the lad but I dont think Moyes has the nuts to throw him straight in plus he's nursing that troublesom back again.

I'm kinda thinkin with their non existant defence 2 up front may be the way for this game, freshen things up a bit and hopefully bang a hat full past them. Either way you guys are gona have to give me a match report when I get home cos I'v got a crate of bud for my breakfast on the coach and we should be there by 1 so I imagin the game will be watched through a haze ;)

I thought this thread was going to say that Victor minds all the players keys and wallets in a big bag until the final whistle

Anyway, Moyes has gotta be careful, if AJ gets a knock or worse we are fooked at the mo up front, we will be back to just having Beattie and Vic ( who, may I add, was last years top scorer{beattie that is})

I really hope he goes with Beattie and AJ this week and Beattie gets the winner

The penelty he scored last week looked like it meant a lot to him, and im sure the own goal in mid week he will be calling "HIS" goal and rightly so

nah, hes a growing lad. most young players have growing pains troubling them. it happened top gerrard for a couple of years. they are growing their muscles faster than their bones are built to deal with, and they way he plays (back to goal and backing into defenders) is probably throwing fuel onto the fire with his back

At some point in the season suspensions and injuries will take there toll on the starting squad. So I am sure we will see Victor at some point in the Prem. And if we don't see him it will probabley be down to the fact Johnston, Beattie and McFadden are doing a excellent job between them all season - (and I could live with that).

With Johnson and Beattie fully fit then there is no need to rush him in to the first team, he really is a youngster

Not much presssure on him in the Carling Cup and the opposition and not quite up to Prem standard, allthough a lot tougher than the general opposition he has been up against to date. So really good steping stones for him.