IGNORED

Crystal Palace (Away) Saturday September 26th

markjazzbassist

Another winnable game here and if we want Europe we should win this.  Not a great side, one dimensional with Zaha falling over trying to win pens for Milivohoveic to bang in.  Play the regular XI and go for the jugular

Pickford

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

Allan

Doucoure Gomes

James        DCL   Richarlison

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Palace can be a tough nut to crack and it will be interesting to see how they get on against Utd but we definitely cannot allow the Palace wide men to counter us like West Brom did at times. 

Looks like their tails will be in the air after the united result too. Zaha looks incredibly dangerous he will pose a big threat to Mina and Keane. Expect us to surrender quite a bit of possession and defend a bit deeper. 

50 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Looks like their tails will be in the air after the united result too. Zaha looks incredibly dangerous he will pose a big threat to Mina and Keane. Expect us to surrender quite a bit of possession and defend a bit deeper. 

It will be interesting to see what we do because Palace almost beckoned United onto them and then nicked possession and counter attacked time and time again. Our defenders are probably less equipped than Utds to defend in those 1 v 1 situations at speed, especially Mina if today is anything to go by. We would almost want to have Seamus marking him.

Palace's midfield is underrated. McCarthy and Macarthur were great together at Wigan and they were brilliant together again today. They wont cover loads of ground at pace but if they can sit in their shape and shuffle across they are one of the best pairings in the league as they are very intelligent players.

40 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Was it because they are actually good or just that man United is massively overrated?   I didn’t watch, took a nap instead, I’m feeling good about my choice

Man Utd were poor, no doubt about it. It looked like they weren't up to speed yet and I also think Ole played into their hands by playing quite a narrow side. Palace sit deep and dig in and Ole played Rashford, James and then Greenwood wide who all want to come inside and play close to the striker so instead of stretching the pitch they made it smaller and easier for Palace to defend the 18 yard box. 

With that in mind it will be another interesting tactical decision for Carlo because our threats either want to cut inside or get in behind. If they cut inside they will be faced by Palace defenders and they won't have the space to get in behind. 

Palace are probably the best counter attacking teams below the top 2. They cause problems for every decent side that plays them and it will be a big test for us. 

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

It will be interesting to see what we do because Palace almost beckoned United onto them and then nicked possession and counter attacked time and time again. Our defenders are probably less equipped than Utds to defend in those 1 v 1 situations at speed, especially Mina if today is anything to go by. We would almost want to have Seamus marking him.

Palace's midfield is underrated. McCarthy and Macarthur were great together at Wigan and they were brilliant together again today. They wont cover loads of ground at pace but if they can sit in their shape and shuffle across they are one of the best pairings in the league as they are very intelligent players.

Man Utd were poor, no doubt about it. It looked like they weren't up to speed yet and I also think Ole played into their hands by playing quite a narrow side. Palace sit deep and dig in and Ole played Rashford, James and then Greenwood wide who all want to come inside and play close to the striker so instead of stretching the pitch they made it smaller and easier for Palace to defend the 18 yard box. 

With that in mind it will be another interesting tactical decision for Carlo because our threats either want to cut inside or get in behind. If they cut inside they will be faced by Palace defenders and they won't have the space to get in behind. 

Palace are probably the best counter attacking teams below the top 2. They cause problems for every decent side that plays them and it will be a big test for us. 

For me Bailey I think we are seeing strange results because some of the big players in bigger clubs are struggling to perform without the crowd, it’s like they can’t turn up without the adulation and support of the supporters, the missing of the 12th man is affecting some teams more than others, I know it shouldn’t and it’s an equal playing field but for me it does. 

3 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

Is that. Cunning plan Baldrick?

Seamus has Zaha in his pocket at Goodison last season, made him look very average, hoping for the same on Saturday.

Problem is Zaha has been floating around the formation rather than just playing left. If I was Hodgson I would get him at Keane and Mina because he could have a field day.

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Problem is Zaha has been floating around the formation rather than just playing left. If I was Hodgson I would get him at Keane and Mina because he could have a field day.

If he plays anywhere near the middle in front of Keane and Mina, Allan will force him out the game, in my eyes nothing to worry about if he plays there probably better for us if he does. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

If he plays anywhere near the middle in front of Keane and Mina, Allan will force him out the game, in my eyes nothing to worry about if he plays there probably better for us if he does. 

Not if Allan is supporting the attack like he was at times against West Brom. Plus Zaha is quicker than him in space and deceptively strong. The one thing I do know is that Allan will be well up for the fight. Should be a good contest!

23 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Not if Allan is supporting the attack like he was at times against West Brom. Plus Zaha is quicker than him in space and deceptively strong. The one thing I do know is that Allan will be well up for the fight. Should be a good contest!

I’m looking forward to it, there haven’t been many times I would have said that in the last 4 years. 

Match them for 442.

Pickford 

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

James Allan Doucoure Nkoun

Richy DCL

Allan can get on Zaha and follow him around the pitch as Doucoure supports the attack. Expect to see our full backs a little deeper in this game so I've gone for the pace of Nkounkou on the left to get at them. Doubt we will see this line up but its the one id like to see. 

Imagine those balls James would play to Nkoun from right to left for him to get on to! 

38 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Match them for 442.

Pickford 

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

Richy DCL

Allan can get on Zaha and follow him around the pitch as Doucoure supports the attack. Expect to see our full backs a little deeper in this game so I've gone for the pace of Nkounkou on the left to get at them. Doubt we will see this line up but its the one id like to see. 

Imagine those balls James would play to Nkoun from right to left for him to get on to! 

You are spot on about Allan mate he’s got to be given the job of stopping Zaha, stop him and you stop Palace it’s as simple as that. 

16 hours ago, Aidan said:

Match them for 442.

Pickford 

Coleman Keane Mina Digne

Richy DCL

I really like this idea - replacing Gomes with Nkounkou. It's just the kind of creative thinking - and added energy - that's needed to win what's likely to be a tough game.

46 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I really like this idea - replacing Gomes with Nkounkou. It's just the kind of creative thinking - and added energy - that's needed to win what's likely to be a tough game.

Would be really interesting though I'd switch Richarlison and DCL to give the kid a little more help and continue to develop that combination. Was great watching those overlaps vs Fleetwood

Not sure we will tweak anything or should from the league's two starting XIs to date - if we did tweak though I'd be tempted to bring Bernard in for Gomes and play him in the middle as the advanced MF.

This will be a tough game as we have both started very well and I dont think we have done too well in recent travels to Selhurst Park (different team and ethos now though so whether thats relevant I dont know).

The battle on the wings for both teams is key to this game - Whoever's wide midfielders overcome the oppositions full backs will win this one