IGNORED

Arteta Hints He Wants New Contract

Louis

Mikel Arteta has hinted he is willing to discuss a new contract at Everton at the end of the season.

The Spanish midfielder has cut an impressive figure at Goodison Park this season and has been linked with a return home.

But rather than seek a move back to Spain, Arteta has revealed his happiness on Merseyside and his hope for a new deal.

"I've two years left on my contract, so there's no panic," Arteta told the Daily Star Sunday.

"I don't know what the club's idea is or what they want to do, but I am really happy and as long as the club want me to stay I don't have a problem.

"Maybe the talks could start in the summer. We don't have to get together till then."

Reports have claimed that Arteta would have to return to Spanish football to boost his international prospects.

While Arteta accepts playing for Everton does not help his profile in his homeland, he is determined to overcome that obstacle.

He added: "Maybe there's not too many games on television that they can watch in Spain. Obviously Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and United are the

most recognised teams.

"That means it's a bit harder for me, but I'm trying hard and one day hopefully I'll get the chance to play.

"I never said I needed to leave to play for the national team. I am really happy here and that is more important than going to the national team."