IGNORED

James Mcfadden

If it means we can get a Fee for Billy in Jan then i'm all for it. I think this is similar to the Hahnemann deal, as in we get a decent player in on a free, okay wont make the first eleven unless we get a few injuries, but it means we can afford to sacrifice a few bit-part players and get a fee for them, either to fend off the bankers or to re-invest in Jan at the end of the season.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he does well for us but this can't be seen as anything but a step in the wrong direction. We sold players like McFadden (Beattie, Johnson etc) because we were steadily bringing in better players to replace them and move the squad forward.

Sums up our current predicament really and doesn't give much hope for Bily and Gueye?

Well it could possibly be the equivalent of having your mates megadrive off him for free, but when did we sell the PS3?

Sold arteta.

Whether he was a ps3 is down to opinion but I'm sorry McFadden as a signing just seriously highlights the problems ahem have. It smacks of desperation.

It's a shame I'd love to see gueye get a few starts, fresh legs and ideas.

My thoughts exactly. From the glimpses I have seen from the likes of Gueye, Drenthe & Barkley, they are already better players than McFadden and they will all bring something fresh and new that we havent seen before (or for a long time). McFadden is inconsistent and ineffectual 99% of the time, he might score a good goal here and there but he will give the ball away countless times, miss sitters and generally contribute nothing to the teams performance. A waste of wages as far as I am concerned, however I would loved to be proved wrong.

I really am gobsmaked regarding this one. Got Larsonn having blinders for sunderland - yes he may be on decent wages but sorry, McFadden I just don't get it, I wouldn't have him ahead of barkley, drenthe, Gueye, I hazard a guss thast soon enough we may have other youth option that would be better placed. The glass ceiling above gueyes head must be a concern.

Why all the doom n gloom? Additional depth to the squad plus hes a seasoned EPL pro capable of moments of genius - free! No brainer for me....

He may well be an addition to the squad but so would any player without a club be. I totally agree with Hafnia and Bailey regarding this smacking of deperation and MacFaddens' all round contribution of practically zilch. I don't see the queues of clubs looking to sign him. Hoping I am wrong but it will take something special to lift the doom and gloom from measures taken like this.

He may well be an addition to the squad but so would any player without a club be. I totally agree with Hafnia and Bailey regarding this smacking of deperation and MacFaddens' all round contribution of practically zilch. I don't see the queues of clubs looking to sign him. Hoping I am wrong but it will take something special to lift the doom and gloom from measures taken like this.

Just trying to find the positives in the situation mate. Think i found all of them though :(

This is a giant step backwards, Fulham say AJ can go for 2 million, and Beattie is on a free this season, i cant wait for the transfer window to come around.

At this rate they will be our "best buys" from the pound shop.

Edited by Bill

My thoughts exactly. From the glimpses I have seen from the likes of Gueye, Drenthe & Barkley, they are already better players than McFadden and they will all bring something fresh and new that we havent seen before (or for a long time). McFadden is inconsistent and ineffectual 99% of the time, he might score a good goal here and there but he will give the ball away countless times, miss sitters and generally contribute nothing to the teams performance. A waste of wages as far as I am concerned, however I would loved to be proved wrong.

Thought you might have been talking about Bily there! dry.png

Im not really that fussed myself

He could provide another option to Seamus on the right and he has only got a contract until the end of the season so I dont have a problem with it

(more or less) This!

As far as I'm concerned, we haven't got a pot to piss in, we're low on numbers, and to be frank, beggars can't be choosers. I wish him well and keep my fingers crossed he'll have a positive influence on the team and it's the results.

I just don't see the point.

Is he any better than what we have already got? No

Will he cost us anything? Yes, even if he is on relatively low wages of 10k per week thats still 500k in a year for nothing, or in other words Vellios + Coleman + 100k.

Do we have any good young players in his position? Yes, Baxter, Gueye, Barkley and Vellios spring to mind, these guys could find there appearences even more limited by the arrival of McFadden hampering there development.

The one thing we have going for us at the moment is the quality of youth development here and the reputation for giving youngsters a go, but this will only disgruntle the talented youngsters at the club and put off any thinking of joining, if we would rather take a risk on a 28 year old who has never quite cut it at this level than take a risk on a young play.

McFadden will never move this club forward, the likes of Vellios, Gueye, Barkley an Baxter will if they are developed properly.

Rant over, frustrations vented, good luck to you James, I hope you prove me wrong, COYB!

Ask yourself this -

He was going free - and there's a lot of other clubs about.

There appeared to be no queue for his services

Is that indicative of something?

ALL of that said - We did the same with Hargreaves, although you could say the gamble is different - it's more a gamble on fitness than on ability. But possibly similar.

Maybe he's worth a punt? It's a long season, injuries happen etc...