IGNORED

Robbie Keane? Not Too Sure!

OzDB

Hi guys, this is my first post but have been reading these boards for awhile.

In regard to a certain Robbie Keane. I have seen him play some good matches and obviously he is rated highly, but is he that good? It seems he has been around the block a few times and i just feel that if he cant make it stick at one club, maybe there is something we dont know about him. Perhaps he doesnt give it 100%?? Why else would so many clubs pick him up and then seem happy to pass him on/get rid of him. I know alot of you guys want him in quick smart but........im not too sure about him. Can someone convince me. :D:D

Hi guys, this is my first post but have been reading these boards for awhile.

In regard to a certain Robbie Keane. I have seen him play some good matches and obviously he is rated highly, but is he that good? It seems he has been around the block a few times and i just feel that if he cant make it stick at one club, maybe there is something we dont know about him. Perhaps he doesnt give it 100%?? Why else would so many clubs pick him up and then seem happy to pass him on/get rid of him. I know alot of you guys want him in quick smart but........im not too sure about him. Can someone convince me. :D   :D

I voiced the same concern a few weeks back. I think he is an excellent talent in front of goal however if you view the Football Frenzy then both Tottenham & Ireland fans do not rate him & worryingly say he is slow and lazy!

Having said that he scored again at the weekend!

tho Andy Johnson would be my choice.  100%. effort.

I'm starting to think along the same lines Licker. 6 in 7 is his reccord this season i think! AJ is the man for me and he would fit into the work ethic.

Can you imagin a slow, lazy Robbie Keane with Roy Kean behind him! :D

Then again can you imagin the lazy irish poacher with big dunc / BT knocking them down!

What a bitch of a choice.

I have never been a huge Keane fan to be honest. He is not a bad Premiership striker, but nieither is he one of the best to be honest. We desperately needed a striker at the end of last season, and having missed out on so many other, I would have been glad to get Keane. Trouble is half the season will be gone, we know it takes time to bed a new player in, especially one brought in January.

Trouble is if we buy keane and the wages he will demand (he will definately be up there as one of the highest paid if not THE Highest paid) It sort of shuts the door on bringing in other players, paritulaly a decent striker in the summer.

I am a huge AJ fan, and would love to see him at Goodison - We know he is on about £25,000 at Palace - so we are not going to have to break the wage structure to get him. But I can't see us going for him if Keane comes to us in January. With hindsight, I think we should have tried a lot harder to sign him last summer.

I would prefer to wait until the summer and take a gamble on Trundle or Nugent in January. Vaughan is due back soon and McFadden is beginning to look a lot better playing up front. Lets see how the team does in the next 7-8 games before we try and bring Keane to the club in January.

AJ is well known for pace, hard work and scoring goals, he is also young.

I would rather wait until the summer for AJ, than a panic Keane purchase in January. Ideally, I would like AJ brought to Goodison in January.

Would anybody take Keane ahead of AJ???

RK is BTs ideal partner in my eyes

why has he had so many clubs

wolves - coventry were in the prem, was a step up for him. £6m

coventry - scored loads of goals, inter came in, no questions asked he left as u would. £13m

inter - was doin well, the they signed Vieri, i think he'd keep most out of a side, came back to the prem. £12m

leeds - as always, scored goals! leeds lost shit loads of cash, started sellin off players. £7m

spurs - still there now, scored 4 in last 6.

edit

he is the highest scorin player for his country

Edited by StevO_BluE

Cheers for the welcome toffee. I am not against RK but am pretty worried that we seem to be hoping a journeyman will be our saviour. We need to think much bigger, surely we still have some cash that can be spent, i am of the opinion that we need to spend to get a real class act to capitalise on the good work being done in midfield by the likes of Arteta and co. Having said that im not too sure who that would be, but i think in the past we have been guilty of not aiming high enough. Of the current debate, personally i would prefer AJ over RK soley for his workrate and high tempo which i think would suit our current side. I would however prefer we splashed out an extra $4-5m on top of the money rumoured for AJ/RK and got someone else. We dont need another striker of the same approximate class as our current crop, we need someone far better. What do you guys think............aim higher??

I'm always of the opinion to aim higher OzDB, but the reality of the situation is that we are sat in 15th spot in the Prem with no European football to speak of. Hopefully this situation will have changed by the end of the season, but if you are aiming at getting someone in, in Jan, we've not got a lot to offer the big hitters. Look at the trouble we had trying to get players when we had champs league to offer, players of the calibre of RK and AJ are realistic targets (I hope!)

Its also a case of whats available I think that Beattie and Keane would be a good partnership. Keane isnt lazy by any means. I am living in Dublin and see alot of their internations and his work rate is second to none, he is a menace and excellent in front of goal aswell as being able to hold up the ball and bring others into play. He is keeping Defoe out of the Spuds team at the mo. AJ in my eyes in unproven and most of his goals came from the pen spot, given he is fast but he isnt as prolific as keane. As Stevo said Keane may be a journey man but he has never instagated a move apart from to better himself ie Wolves which he cant be blaimed for.