IGNORED

How Did Wright Do Against Manu?

java2001e

One swallow does'nt make a summer but he did have a good game. He looked confident and just as important, his defenders looked as though they were confident in him. Did enough to justify selection for the next game but now needs a run of consistent performances to repay Moyes faith in him.

he did what he had to do competently, nothing spectacular. let's face it, people are saying he had a good game only because he didn't f*ck up or let 5 goals in! it would have been an average game for Nige.

Wright was termendous - easily his best ever EFC performance - and Sir Alc's comments at the end of the game about him 'being inspired' by old trafford were simply unfair.

There were no 'heroics' from wright - just straight forward goal keeping, parrying the ball when needed, catching when he could. Sprinting out towards an attacker when needed etc.etc.

It was a good performance from Wright - and he is certainly more agile than Martyn. I hope that he gets another chance against West Ham to prove his worth to the home crowd.

Would be nice to see him do well. (He gets a lot of stick! no pun intended!)

Guest fozzie22

Before we get to carried away may i remind you 7-0 last season..

A lepoard cant change his spots after all,he owes a season of blinders because lets be fair he's cost us more points than he's saved us.

To be honest I think the biggest thing with Wright is the facts that his confidence is low. He always seems to get his chance when the team arn't doing particulaly well, so he seem to always let a lot of goals in personally.

Yesterday, we played a team that again on paper at home could have put three or four past us. I though Wright played his part and was not a weak link we all feared.

Lets hope this game builds his confidence for the next few games, and allows him to kick start his Goodison career. I think bedding in as a keeper is the most difficult position to slot in to, because you need to have a good undertanding of the players around you and visa versa. It does take a 12 or so games.

Jury is still out as only one game, but I am all for giving the lad a far crack at the whip. It would be nice if he got his confidence back and becomes the keeper that was challenging for an England spot three or four years ago.

We will see, I would say he HASto play well enough to keep Martyn out of the side until well into the New Year to give Moyes enough confidence to not buy a new number 1 to replace Martyn. I hope he does it as I would like to see half a dozen clean sheet over the next month.

Good Luck Wrighty

Guest fozzie22

I take your point Rob,but lets remeber big nige was brought in to replace him,and he's no spring chicken.

DM,it seems to me has to play him,he's his man after all,and we dont have the cash to waste like other clubs.

Before we get to carried away may i remind you 7-0 last season..

A lepoard cant change his spots after all,he owes a season of blinders because lets be fair he's cost us more points than he's saved us.

COME OFF IT FOZZIE, you can not blame that 7-0 on wright, no way, there were another 10 players chasing shadows that day, its still burnt into my memory

Good performance by wright, some good saves and it should boost his confidence, but I think he is prone to blunders, he will play against WHam on Wednesday, and if he plays well then he will play at the weekend. We all know how fickle we can be, you never know we will be calling for WRIGHT FOR ENGLAND SOON :o

I am not a Wright fan (as he hasn't given us Evertonians any encouragement to get behind him). He played well yesterday and will at least get another couple of games over the next week.

If he can keep a couple of clean sheets and not do any howlers over the next two games, then if I was Moyes I would leave him in the team to further build his confidence and see how he goes until the middle of January.

I think he will take a lot from yesterdays game (I wouldn't say he made a load of spectacular saves, but he deal well admirably with everything thrown at him, and that all you we can ask of him).

What I would like to see is a 'normalised' Wright. What I mean by that is a player who's confidence is not low , a player who has intergrated in to our backline (trains with the first choice backline and played a number of competative games with them) i.e a player who feels comfortable and at home as first choice keeper.

If I remember correct we have seen Wright play well in a Everton shirt (didn't he help us get to 7th place a few seasons ago).

To begin with he lost his place to Martyn through injury and largely down to Martyns great form hasn't had much of a prolonged chance between the sticks since that time.

As we have paid a fair few quid for him and paid his wages for a number of season, I think it would be a shame not to have a proper look at him again before we basically give him away.

Lets just see how he goes over then next couple of games and beyond, to see if he can gain our confidence - one in the hand is worth two in the bush as they say.

Firstly, the 7-0 v Arsenal was absolutely not Wrights fault.

He was brought in after not playing any games for ages - against the country's most established side (who were always going to beat us!) - with 4th spot secured and 3rd a million miles away, the team could not be bothered and turned up for the formality.

As for the rest of his appearances - hes not exactly had many to show us what he is made of.

It was the same with Simmo - not given the chance to show us what he could do...

not enough games I'm afraid. Keepers are NEVER starlets over night - it takes months, sometimes years to prove themselves and develop into reliable keepers.

Wright was quality yesterday - he produced the goods when we needed them most.

If BT matched his performance upfront to wrights in goal, we would have been 4 or 5 up yesterday.

Credit were credit is due.!

Guest fozzie22
wrighty's been there 4 years now.?  if he doesnt improve any, i think i would sack the goalkeeping coach, cos he can't be doing a very good job.

Keep nigel on as a coach. :P

Been saying that for awhile to be honest

Umm,dont blame teflon for the arsenal game..umm lets see how many did he let in when Nige was injured last season???

He's shit,all he had to do yesterday was get behind the shots that came his way,now granted he did that well,but he gets paid well for doing it,and given the nightmares he's had over the years he's cost us more points than he'll ever save us,If he was that good a keeper would Wenger let him go??no of course not,he's crap,simple as that.

The truth is as soon as nige is fit again he'll be straight back in,so please dont say the arsenal game wasnt his fault,TT are intelligent people thats for sure,just some of them have rather short memorys :P ,given the out cry after the highbury massacre.

Spot on fozzie.

In the position we are in at the moment, with the amount of games that are coming up, I'd be happier with Nige going straight back in when he is fit again. Save Wright for the FA Cup (possibly!?!)

I'm not saying for one minute that he is going to be some amazing keeper - what Am I saying is that he put in a sterling performance against Man U, knowing that he has to take every chance that comes his way.

The Arsenal game was definately not his fault - there was no defence that game and its as simple as that - the whole team, from the front to the keeper were dreadful and the travelling evertonians (inc. me!) should have been given tickets for another match as compensation!

I remember his blunders of the past when Martyn has been injured - the guy has a massive lack of confidence - but the United game will do wonders for that and we could see (and I mean COULD) a more rounded keeper in the shape of wright, shoudl he get more of a chance to shine (or fade).

Credit were credit is due. I was fully expecting a loss against Man Utd. Martyn isn't agile anymore and some of his dives remind me of Big Nev's towards the end of his career - just not quick enough. Martyn makes up for it becuase he can read the game and isn't lazy - unlike big nev!

Wright kept us in the game with some of his saves - there is no doubting that and nobody can take that away from him.

He might never be a world beater or on a par with Big Nev or nige - but nevertheless he did a more than satisfactory job on Sunday.

Guest fozzie22
I'm not saying for one minute that he is going to be some amazing keeper - what Am I saying is that he put in a sterling performance against Man U, knowing that he has to take every chance that comes his way.

The Arsenal game was definately not his fault - there was no defence that game and its as simple as that - the whole team, from the front to the keeper were dreadful and the travelling evertonians (inc. me!) should have been given tickets for another match as compensation!

I remember his blunders of the past when Martyn has been injured - the guy has a massive lack of confidence - but the United game will do wonders for that and we could see (and I mean COULD) a more rounded keeper in the shape of wright, shoudl he get more of a chance to shine (or fade).

Credit were credit is due. I was fully expecting a loss against Man Utd. Martyn isn't agile anymore and some of his dives remind me of Big Nev's towards the end of his career - just not quick enough. Martyn makes up for it becuase he can read the game and isn't lazy - unlike big nev!

Wright kept us in the game with some of his saves - there is no doubting that and nobody can take that away from him.

He might never be a world beater or on a par with Big Nev or nige - but nevertheless he did a more than satisfactory job on Sunday.

Big Nev lazy.. :)

Mind you,he could afford to be,the lad had more talent in his toe than Wright has in total

Guest fozzie22
you gotta give it to wright. his form that match might have been

a) the spur of getting regularly into the first team

B) prospect of world cup

c) martyn giving him advice and one on one training

Funny..4 more goals let in,7 in total in a week..

sell him,loan him,shoot him,

JUST GET RID.

Now come on Foz, Cant blame it all on Teflon, WEST BROM WALKED THROUGH US 2 WEEKS AGO, players pride made a better job of it at manure, but here we are two home games in a week and the whole team have lay down like a load of pussycats.

I cant see it getting any better, the whole club, on the field and off, needs a good sort out and start afresh in january.

If we had won those 2 home games we would be in the top ten tonight.