IGNORED

F1 Chat

Martin Brundle's analysis...

"Vettel was close out of Turn 10 and into the slipstream of his team-mate heading at 200mph towards the obvious overtaking point of the 60mph Turn 12 hairpin.

Webber instinctively defended and left an F1 car-sized gap at the side of the road on the dirty, unused part of the track. Vettel chose to take it and moved alongside and then slightly ahead.

At this point the German either realised he would never stop in time, or he wanted to muscle and intimidate Webber across the road to ensure a better line into the hairpin.

It was a deliberate move of the wheel from Vettel, not a slide under braking.

Unsurprisingly, Webber never moved, contact was made, Vettel was out of the race and Webber's car was damaged.

I spoke with Christian Horner and Helmut Marko of Red Bull immediately after the race.

They asked how I called it on TV and I told them I said it was 100% Vettel's fault for swerving into Webber.

They clearly disagreed and said that Webber should never have been squeezing his team-mate onto the dirty part of the race track when as a team they needed to be defending against the ever-present McLarens.

There's some substance to that argument but the bottom line is that Vettel turning right into the side of Webber's car was not the right answer. He so nearly wiped him out for a second time in the run-off area at the hairpin, too.

The team can't expect Webber to score three consecutive dominant pole positions and wipe the floor with all comers, including his team-mate, in the previous two races in Spain and Monaco and then suddenly turn all passive the first time Vettel makes a move on him.

If Webber had lifted or moved over he may as well have just handed the world championship trophy to his team-mate and headed back to Australia.

The problem Red Bull have is that it seems clear they favour their protégé Vettel to take the title over Webber, who is 11 years older.

They can't claim to treat both drivers equally and then apparently favour one because the whole situation will implode between the two sides of the garage."

Sounds pretty spo on to me.

The thing is though Webber didn't squeeze Vettel, he just held his position, it wasn't him that moved. I think it's a disgrace the way Red Bull are treating Webber tbh, and it's going to cause problems - a bit like Alonso and Hamilton at McLaren.

I agree.

Good blog.

i enjoyed that race a hell of a lot, thats how motor racing should be, just so entertaining. but the red bull team are absolute gob shites to be taking that stance! i think vettel should count himself lucky webber stayed in the race. if they would have both been walking back to the pits id expect to see it come to blows, and that little shit wouldnt stand a chance if webber got hold of him.

vettel pulled a horrible move and fucked up the race for his whole team, webber done brilliant to still finish 3rd after that. webber should be asking serious questions of his team after all these comments, not the other way round.

i enjoyed that race a hell of a lot, thats how motor racing should be, just so entertaining. but the red bull team are absolute gob shites to be taking that stance! i think vettel should count himself lucky webber stayed in the race. if they would have both been walking back to the pits id expect to see it come to blows, and that little shit wouldnt stand a chance if webber got hold of him.

vettel pulled a horrible move and fucked up the race for his whole team, webber done brilliant to still finish 3rd after that. webber should be asking serious questions of his team after all these comments, not the other way round.

Sums it up for me.

Vettel comes across as one arrogant sod. Reminds me of another German racer in some ways on that score. Next year I am sure Webber will move on. (Perhaps replacing Massa at Ferrari?) If he does leave Red Bull, I hope he gets a good car wherever he ends up.

Anyway they all earn massive wages so a little shunt like that should be pushed aside (no pun intended) Any of those drivers are wealthy enough to retire at any time and live in luxury for the rest of their lives.

Exciting race today :) .

Proof positive of team orders at Red Bull though (which no-one on the TV has yet pointed out).

Vettel 4th and Webber 5th for the last 15/16 laps and the more Vettel slowed down (with a problem) the slower Webber (on new tyres) was able to go :rolleyes: ....so much so that on the last lap Vettel went ten seconds slower than the fastest lap of the race while Webber went only two seconds faster than him to finish 1.4 seconds behind. Didn't think that was allowed :mellow: ?

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted Vettel to hit a wall and get no points because of the blatant favouritism shown by Red Bull once again.

He got lucky with the safety car or he'd have got none. I was concerned he was going to get fourth or fifth the way he came back at the end but Sutil did a great job holding him up for six or seven laps :) .

I would like Button to retain the title, but failing that I would like Webber to win it for the following reasons.

Despite foreign ownership, Red Bull is a British team based in Britain (Just down the road from Silverstone as it happens) Red Bull is a private concern and hence a "small" team. And as already stated Mark Webber lives in Britain and comes across as a no compromise hard nosed nice guy, if such a thing sounds right.

I would like Button to retain the title, but failing that I would like Webber to win it...

I'd go along with that....though I'm warming to Hamilton having not liked him at all in the past so it wouldn't be the end of the world if he won it.

Just not Vettel or Alonso.

• 2 weeks later...

Post the Ferrari bullshit today....

$100,000 fine is a slap on the wrist....I wouldn't mind if they were honest about it but the post race Rob Smedley interview was one of the most excruciating things I've ever seen.

Everyone knows he's lying, he knows that everyone knows he's lying, but he has to pretend.

Aside from that a very tedious race.

Having watched that unfold I have reached two conclusions.

1) Ferrari have too much political pull in F1.

2) Alonso is being pandered to by Ferrari.

In my opinion, Massa is the only one to come out of this with any dignity at all, and even he has to admit to doing wrong by slowing down.

I just wonder, it was so obviously done deliberately, did Massa do it so obviously as a kind of protest, in the hope that someone in the higher echelons of F1 would do something???

Said in one of the papers that now that F1 govening body has hit Ferrari with a fine, the world motorsport govening body is looking into the incident too. No results of this will be shown until the three week break after the next race.

(Sorry I can't remember which paper it was as I 'borrowed' one in work.) :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Four races left and twenty-five points (ten in old money) covering the top five.

The most exciting climax to a season ever possibly.

I'm a big Jenson fan but he's got to be the outsider, and if it's not him I'd be quite happy for Webber to take it. Very tough one to call though.

• 1 month later...