IGNORED

F1 Chat

Button on the most important pole of the season, nice one Jenson, Hammo back in 16th

I'm quite interested to see just how much difference the difffusers will make in this race. Since the changes in aerodynamics were meant to make overtakings easier, cars with diffusers won't be as easy to overtake.

I'm quite interested to see just how much difference the difffusers will make in this race. Since the changes in aerodynamics were meant to make overtakings easier, cars with diffusers won't be as easy to overtake.

Vitually impossible to overtake at Monoco onder any reguations.

Michael Schumacher in a Ferrari would struggle to get past me in my 306 :P .

Vitually impossible to overtake at Monoco onder any reguations.

Michael Schumacher in a Ferrari would struggle to get past me in my 306 :P .

I think there were 2 spots where takeovers were possible, but have since dissapeared, because the drag caused by the leading car on the front car as been greatly reduced, and the speed boost the trailing car got because of the reduced air friction from beeing behind another car is virtually gone.

The new regs probably will mean that cars with no diffusers just might be vulnerable enough to be overtaken. I certainly hope so, Monaco has been boring due to this. Of course, the crashes and highly tactical races are still exciting, but they lack the appeal of the races back in the 90s...

Jenson has more fuel on board than anyone else in the top eight. Alonso in 9th is the first car that can run further than him.

Makes that lap even more spectacular. Should win again, barring breakdown/accident.

(BBC TV disagreeing with the BBC website, they say Barichello has a lap more fuel than Jenson, web says he has a lap less)

In a nutshell, what are the new rules that has seen Button improve so drastically?

Technical tweaks Louis really; aerodynamic changes, slick tyres returned.

The reason (one of them) that Brawn have done so well is that Honda gave up on last season very early on when they realised they were crap and threw all their weight behind developing this years car.

Not just that, it's a bloody great car and Button has shown himself to be a top notch driver given decent equipment. Up with the best he's ever worked with according to Brawn, and as that includes Schumacher thet's praise indeed.

Technical tweaks Louis really; aerodynamic changes, slick tyres returned.

The reason (one of them) that Brawn have done so well is that Honda gave up on last season very early on when they realised they were crap and threw all their weight behind developing this years car.

Not just that, it's a bloody great car and Button has shown himself to be a top notch driver given decent equipment. Up with the best he's ever worked with according to Brawn, and as that includes Schumacher thet's praise indeed.

Pretty much. The diffusers help a bunch too, since they give a boost of roughly half a second per lap, and a lot of teams didn't start the season with them, and are doing a lot of catch-up now.

And yeah, Button is a good driver, better than Massa, Hamilton and pretty much everyone. I'd say Kimmi is the closest to him in the circuit at the moment, and it was nice to see Ferrari up there again.

And it turns out that the speed boost and easier overtaking didn't come into play, since the top cars all had them, so once again, the grid defined the outcome, no surprises in the pit stops.

• 2 weeks later...
Vettel pipped Jenson to pole for the race tomorrow, but Jenson has a couple of laps extra fuel on board (one lap more than Rubens in third) so he's still got to be favourite for the race :) .

I agree. Although Jenson doesn't need to push the car, he can just cruise till the season's end. Ferrari seem to be improving, 3rd/4th row start, and what the hell is wrong with McLaren??? This is much more than feedback from the rules' changes, the drivers aren't that bad, the car seems to be at it's limit...

hamiltons quote from today "I didn't have anything left and that's why I'm kind of smiling now - I think I fulfilled my driver potential.

"Our biggest problem is that, for example, I was losing nearly 0.5 seconds through Turn Eight. The car feels heavy. I'm trying to get the thing round but it just won't go any faster."

that doesnt sound very good

hamiltons quote from today "I didn't have anything left and that's why I'm kind of smiling now - I think I fulfilled my driver potential.

"Our biggest problem is that, for example, I was losing nearly 0.5 seconds through Turn Eight. The car feels heavy. I'm trying to get the thing round but it just won't go any faster."

that doesnt sound very good

Agreed Steve but did you hear what he said immediately before the race started, "I wish those in the front the best of luck" and it was said in the most pissed off manner you could imagine.

IMO Button was brilliant today absolutely brilliant :D

6 wins out of 7, it's too late for any real competition, unless someone can dominate like he's been doing.

This season is over.

Exactly, it's a load of crap now. Don't get me wrong, I want Button to win the Championship but it's not even a competition and it's boring as hell to watch.

Exactly, it's a load of crap now. Don't get me wrong, I want Button to win the Championship but it's not even a competition and it's boring as hell to watch.

Said it before but I disagree.

If Everton won the first twenty-five games of the season and put us thirty points clear at the top of the table would you be bored?

I wouldn't.

It's pure sporting excellence; love it. Hope he keeps it up for the rest of the season and obliterates every record in the book.

Said it before but I disagree.

If Everton won the first twenty-five games of the season and put us thirty points clear at the top of the table would you be bored?

I wouldn't.

It's pure sporting excellence; love it. Hope he keeps it up for the rest of the season and obliterates every record in the book.

I couldn't agree more Mike, he still has to get into the car and win. If some of the comments made here had been made after him winning twenty or thirty races like MS did then I could understand that but we have a guy emerging from the shadows in a totally brand new team producing absolutely flawless racing, we Brits should be shouting our heads off for him :P

I couldn't agree more Mike, he still has to get into the car and win. If some of the comments made here had been made after him winning twenty or thirty races like MS did then I could understand that but we have a guy emerging from the shadows in a totally brand new team producing absolutely flawless racing, we Brits should be shouting our heads off for him :P

While there's still a lot of points for the taking, the massive advantage Brawn has is practically enough for a victory. Vattel is 32 points behind, it would take a pretty big disaster for Brawn to loose that big a lead.

But you're right, it's still fun to watch. I'm especially looking forward to the night races later in the season.

• 2 weeks later...

A group of leading Formula One teams are to quit the sport and set up a rival championship next year.

The Turkish Grand Prix

Many of the teams who competed in the Turkish Grand Prix will not be in F1 in 2010

Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso have all declined to enter F1 for 2010.

The eight teams, which together form the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), failed to reach a compromise with FIA president Max Mosley over plans for a £40m budget cap.

The governing body of motor sports had issued a deadline of Friday for teams to enter next year's championship unconditionally.

If Lewis and Jenson were in the same car then Lewis would beat him.

Former F1 driver Eddie Irvine

FOTA said it had tried to work with the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone, who holds the commercial rights to F1, to "develop and improve the sport" since forming last September.

But it added in a statement: "It has become clear, however, the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 world championship.

"These teams, therefore, have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners."

Many of the team bosses, including Brawn GP's Ross Brawn, were originally in favour of the voluntary budget limit, although Ferrari were not.

Sportslines Blog

Sportslines Blog red chevron

Read the latest insights from the Sky News sport team on football, cricket, tennis and more.

FOTA said it had already achieved "substantial measures to reduce costs" and had agreed on further voluntary budget cuts.

But Mosley angered the teams when he announced the introduction of a cap at the end of April without consulting them.

The teams accused the FIA boss and Ecclestone of trying to divide them and ignoring their views on the future of the sport.

As things stand, next year's F1 championship now consists of Williams and Force India, along with the three new teams, USF1, Campos and Manor.

Two separate championships? Following in the footsteps of darts & boxing. Ridiculous....pull your fingers out people and sort it.

If Lewis and Jenson were in the same car then Lewis would beat him.

Former F1 driver Eddie Irvine

That bit made me laugh....looked up the full article HERE.

WTF would Eddie Irvine know about good drivers :lol: ? He was a waste of rubber.

FIA (Mosley) planning legal action against the teams...

"The actions of Fota as a whole, and Ferrari in particular, amount to serious violations of law including wilful interference with contractual relations, direct breaches of Ferrari's legal obligations and a grave violation of competition law.

"Preparations for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship continue but publication of the final 2010 entry list will be put on hold while the FIA asserts its legal rights."

Should have got rid of him when he was caught dressing up as a nazi with the prostitutes, I'm convinced this would never have happened if he'd been sacked. He's as much of a megalomaniac as his father <_< .

FIA (Mosley) planning legal action against the teams...

"The actions of Fota as a whole, and Ferrari in particular, amount to serious violations of law including wilful interference with contractual relations, direct breaches of Ferrari's legal obligations and a grave violation of competition law.

"Preparations for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship continue but publication of the final 2010 entry list will be put on hold while the FIA asserts its legal rights."

Should have got rid of him when he was caught dressing up as a nazi with the prostitutes, I'm convinced this would never have happened if he'd been sacked. He's as much of a megalomaniac as his father <_< .

That's what happens when the ones calling the shots are not the ones out there competing. As it stands, with all the engine manufacturers behind FOTA, I'm curious to see what engines the F1 cars are gonna have next season... :D