Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gwlad all over

F1 Chat

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Palfy said:

Hamilton only needs 4 points to take the driver’s title, good luck to him he’s had a fantastic season, it’s refreshing to see a Brit dominating his sport for years. 

He's been incredible this season, he normally has a so-so first half before absolutely smashing it in the second. Even at circuits that he's not expected to do well (Singapore last season, Mexico this) he pulls it out of the bag and delivers. Consistency is the key and this season he hasn't put a foot wrong, four points will seal it this weekend and make him champion again. Great to see a British driver dominating and clearly someone who will go down in F1 folklore. 

Just by breathing he rattles to likes of Mike too which is brilliant. Makes you want to support him even more. 

21 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Mexican grand prix. Yawn

Wasn't the best, thought that Verstappen was unlucky to get a puncture from his move on Bottas which in the end put an end to any podium hopes he had. Did well to recover though and finish alongside Albon. 

Have to feel sorry for Lando Norris, DNF'ing through no fault of his own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Just by breathing he rattles to likes of Mike too which is brilliant.

Well put😂

I'm quite happy for him to breathe (and even drive), I just wish he wouldn't talk.

Actually, as I'm being lumped in a generalisation pot can you explain how you define the "likes of" me?

And if you go back to the start of this thread you'll notice that he's earned my disdain, he didn't have it from the start, quite the opposite.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/topic/5155-f1-chat/?do=findComment&comment=87158

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Have to feel sorry for Lando Norris, DNF'ing through no fault of his own. 

McLaren were way off the pace anyway sadly, not sure where their practice and qualifying pace went. Pretty secure 4th in the constructors title though still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Calling him a Brit is a bit much. His home is Monoco (apparently). Doesn't pay his taxes, doesn't deserve our support. Also not helped by him being a massive whopper in general. 

Monaco seems to be the choice of a lot of F1 drivers doesn’t make them bad people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Monaco seems to be the choice of a lot of F1 drivers doesn’t make them bad people. 

Does when the only reason is greed, he's not actually living there, as most he's just got a home for tax purposes aka so he doesn't have to contribute his fair share to the UK. 

Absolute joke that he calls himself from a working class background and tries to get more fans on the back of it. He's never done a real day's work in his life and was sponsored from a very early age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Does when the only reason is greed, he's not actually living there, as most he's just got a home for tax purposes aka so he doesn't have to contribute his fair share to the UK. 

Absolute joke that he calls himself from a working class background and tries to get more fans on the back of it. He's never done a real day's work in his life and was sponsored from a very early age. 

It's the courting, embracing and immersion in "celebrity" culture as much as anything for me, and that I despise. He also puts on a fake PR face because (going back the the religion thing) he has "God is great" or similar tattooed on his neck but ditched thanking his maker in interviews many years ago because it doesn't work well for a Brit, unlike Americans.

The majority of the grid seem like guys you could go down to the pub with and chat about racing; Hamilton would be too busy at a Khardashian vegan fundraiser to talk to the likes of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pete0 said:

Does when the only reason is greed, he's not actually living there, as most he's just got a home for tax purposes aka so he doesn't have to contribute his fair share to the UK. 

Absolute joke that he calls himself from a working class background and tries to get more fans on the back of it. He's never done a real day's work in his life and was sponsored from a very early age. 

 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

It's the courting, embracing and immersion in "celebrity" culture as much as anything for me, and that I despise. He also puts on a fake PR face because (going back the the religion thing) he has "God is great" or similar tattooed on his neck but ditched thanking his maker in interviews many years ago because it doesn't work well for a Brit, unlike Americans.

The majority of the grid seem like guys you could go down to the pub with and chat about racing; Hamilton would be too busy at a Khardashian vegan fundraiser to talk to the likes of us.

Boys okay I get it you don’t like him as a person I think 🤔
But as a driver which is what I’m talking about he is class and his sheer determination and belief in his own ability helps him beat his opponents before the race has started, that and the fact he has a good car and team helps as well, but remember this is a money driven sport and the best manufacturer’s can’t afford to play about they have to have the best drivers which he is, regardless of his faith and tax affairs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

 

Boys okay I get it you don’t like him as a person I think 🤔
But as a driver which is what I’m talking about he is class and his sheer determination and belief in his own ability helps him beat his opponents before the race has started, that and the fact he has a good car and team helps as well, but remember this is a money driven sport and the best manufacturer’s can’t afford to play about they have to have the best drivers which he is, regardless of his faith and tax affairs. 

He's not as great as people make out though. He's the fastest without other cars on the track but for me he's not a racer and relies on others moving out the way rather than racing nous. Easiest way to show his lack of overtaking abilities is when he shared the same cars as Button. Hamilton started in pole position 23 times to Button's 9, yet button managed more points over the three seasons. Add to that button had more technical issues compared to Hamilton's whose were mostly self inflicted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MikeO said:

It's the courting, embracing and immersion in "celebrity" culture as much as anything for me, and that I despise. He also puts on a fake PR face because (going back the the religion thing) he has "God is great" or similar tattooed on his neck but ditched thanking his maker in interviews many years ago because it doesn't work well for a Brit, unlike Americans.

The majority of the grid seem like guys you could go down to the pub with and chat about racing; Hamilton would be too busy at a Khardashian vegan fundraiser to talk to the likes of us.

Or staring at his iPhone. I don't deny he's a good driver but he's had the best car for years so no competition, except Rosberg. He claims to relish fights with other drivers but when he does he complains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Plans to revolutionise Formula 1 in 2021 have been revealed by the sport's bosses on the eve of the US Grand Prix.

New technical, sporting and financial rules will be introduced to try to make racing closer and more dramatic.

Jean Todt, president of governing body the FIA, said the rules had been unanimously approved by the World Council, F1's legislative body, on Thursday.

Key changes are a new aerodynamic concept and a $175m (£135m) budget cap.

The three leading teams - Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull - have opposed the new rules and believe they are fundamentally flawed.

But Todt described it as "a very special day for our sport", adding: "The goal is to have a closer championship and more unpredictable [racing] on track."

Ferrari had opposed the rules, and has the option to veto them within five days. But in a statement the team said: "What has been voted is a good starting point. We'll work together to improve them even further."'

For which read, "The three leading teams - Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull - have opposed the new rules because they don't want anyone breaking up their party!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Going on the pictures released the cars are going to look good and hopefully they will actually be able to follow each other better and actually race as predicted. 

Everything crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Going on the pictures released the cars are going to look good and hopefully they will actually be able to follow each other better and actually race as predicted. 

To be fair they say that almost every time there is a rule change but it doesn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

To be fair they say that almost every time there is a rule change but it doesn't happen.

The teams haven’t fought tooth and nail to kick those rule changes to the curb before though. Which suggests these actually have a good  chance of evening the playing field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

He's done it, 6th title. Any of 3 or 4 drivers could've done it with the Merc at their disposal. Can't stand the soundbites that he spouts when interviewed.

Turned it off well before that, just pleased Lando got a decent haul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/11/2019 at 23:27, Gwlad all over said:

He's done it, 6th title. Any of 3 or 4 drivers could've done it with the Merc at their disposal. Can't stand the soundbites that he spouts when interviewed.

Apart from Bottas...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

He's not one of the three or four though, plus he'd have been closer had it not been for team orders.

Closer but still nowhere near and from my recollection team orders were once Hamilton was in the ascendancy. 

The Mercedes probably isn't even the fastest car this year but Ferrari kept shooting themselves in the foot. It reminded me of the year Hamilton lost to Button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Thing is do I waste 7 hours+ on alternate weekends next year on f1?

Been saying that myself for years but can't help it; McLaren getting so much better this year has been the high point for me, I'll still be watching (much to my wife's annoyance😂).

Still need to see a race live one of these days, was all set up for Silverstone in 2014 for my lad's 18th but me getting ill screwed that. It's definitely on the bucket list though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Been saying that myself for years but can't help it; McLaren getting so much better this year has been the high point for me, I'll still be watching (much to my wife's annoyance😂).

Still need to see a race live one of these days, was all set up for Silverstone in 2014 for my lad's 18th but me getting ill screwed that. It's definitely on the bucket list though.

I went to Monaco about 21 years ago and watched it on a friend’s yacht which he had just bought second hand for 2.5 million give or take a few thousand, which was moored in Monaco by the previous owner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been to several races, best was 2003 Monaco back in the day when the V10 engine sound really impacted on the atmosphere there. This season Sainz Norris double act was a highlight, followed by Johnny Herbert and Rachel Brookes. Sky coverage formulaic and though at least the line ups did vary slightly, Simon Lazenby annoys me intensely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brazil, exciting race. It's a passing track so why don't the powers that be realise that is what the paying public want? Ferrari drivers shooting themselves in the foot - admire Binnoto for his composure! Go Red Bull/Torro,  McLaren keep it up. Next season can't come soon enough though my sporting suffering will continue with EFC till May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

Season's over again, 15 weeks to go until Australia. RB and Max and Ferrari and Leclerc must take it to Merc or else it will be same old...…..yawn

Was gutted for Lando losing out to Perez on the last lap; he drove a brilliant race on very old tyres and would've held on for 7th (and a top ten championship finish) had they not come up behind a Williams on the last lap. That said great overtake from Sainz on the last lap to secure 6th over the year, really hoping McLaren can step up again next season.

That aside the front of the race was a bit of a bore-fest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...