Sign in to follow this  
Pat

What Are You Watching?

48 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

His dark materials.  6/10, last episode was a massive let down, series as a whole had massive plot holes.  I won’t be watching the second season.

Second series may fill the plot holes😉

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

Second series may fill the plot holes😉

It was basic stuff like bad guys can’t find person x.  Episodes later bad guys fly directly to person x front door without saying how they know where he is and how they got that info.  This is one of many just basic story holes that had me not a fan of this show.  

On the way home I watched a Documentary film called big farm little farm, it was filmed over 7 years, I won’t go into details in case you haven’t seen it, but please watch it you will be so clad you did it’s an incredible story. 

If you do get the opportunity to watch it you’re want to tell others it’s so inspirational. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

On the way home I watched a Documentary film called big farm little farm, it was filmed over 7 years, I won’t go into details in case you haven’t seen it, but please watch it you will be so clad you did it’s an incredible story. 

If you do get the opportunity to watch it you’re want to tell others it’s so inspirational. 

Do you mean "The Biggest Little Farm"?

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Yes mate sorry 😐 have you seen it. 

No just looking for it and saw the trailer on YouTube, wife watching over my shoulder said she'd like to see it too so I'll get it today. 

On 09/01/2020 at 19:22, markjazzbassist said:

His dark materials.  6/10, last episode was a massive let down, series as a whole had massive plot holes.  I won’t be watching the second season.

It's a kids show, that's what I got from it. My daughter liked it. Main character is a Mary Sue but, being a kids show, I let that slide.

It's not really my cup of tea but my kid likes watching it with me so I'll keep up with it.

I'm watching the latest series of Vikings on Prime. It seems now it is getting really long in the teeth. The characters are becoming more and more obnoxious in the same way they did in Game of Thrones. I want them all to die in the show now.

I finished season 4 of The Expanse. I really like sci-fi so it has helped satiate my hunger because of the absolute trash fire that is Star Trek on Netshits.

I've got 2 episodes of the Witcher to finish also. Have been left very underwhelmed with the show, find Yennifer preachy and obnoxious. Funny because whilst she was a cripple I felt sorry for her but my sister mentioned she became unlikeable and she was bang on.

Watched all of the Mandalorian whilst on the High Seas. It wasn't particularly bad, considering how awful the movies are, it wasn't particularly great. It was pretty basic with a "fetch quest" plot line.

I'm not being particularly negative but if you look at today's fair and compare it back to the last ten years with shows like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Band Of Brothers etc. I think the quality has really taken a hit and everything has gotten a bit "preachy". I'm looking at you Dr Who!

38 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I think the quality has really taken a hit and everything has gotten a bit "preachy". I'm looking at you Dr Who!

Sunday's episode, oh dear.

I thought the opening two-parter was OK and quite clever with the 007 nods (actually more lump-hammer blows than nods) and I have no real problem with Jodie Whittaker but the "companions" need to be ditched completely, Bradley Walsh front and centre.

Just now, MikeO said:

Sunday's episode, oh dear. I thought the opening two-parter was OK and quite clever with the 007 nods (actually more lump-hammer blows than nods) and I have no real problem with Jodie Whittaker but the "companions" need to be ditched completely, Bradley Walsh front and centre.

I don't know why I put myself through them, especially anything by the BBC. I am a massive fan of War Of The Worlds so was eagerly anticipating the 3 parter over Christmas. First episode was okay, I accepted they wanted to adapt it and change some of the roles. Then episode 2 I noticed it going sideways. Episode 3 was a car crash. The main character became utterly pathetic. I've not even bothered with Dracula, another classic they are going to "adapt"

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Sunday's episode, oh dear.

I thought the opening two-parter was OK and quite clever with the 007 nods (actually more lump-hammer blows than nods) and I have no real problem with Jodie Whittaker but the "companions" need to be ditched completely, Bradley Walsh front and centre.

I stopped watching after 2 episodes of Whittaker’s run. It’s shite. 

2 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I don't know why I put myself through them, especially anything by the BBC. I am a massive fan of War Of The Worlds so was eagerly anticipating the 3 parter over Christmas. First episode was okay, I accepted they wanted to adapt it and change some of the roles. Then episode 2 I noticed it going sideways. Episode 3 was a car crash. The main character became utterly pathetic. I've not even bothered with Dracula, another classic they are going to "adapt"

Don’t bother with Dracula, it was awful. You can see Moffat’s hands all over it. 

1 minute ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Completely with you on War of the Worlds, pitiful ending episode. I've not seen Dracula but it's got some very good reviews.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Don’t bother with Dracula, it was awful. You can see Moffat’s hands all over it. 

Just now, MikeO said:

Completely with you on War of the Worlds, pitiful ending episode. I've not seen Dracula but it's got some very good reviews.

Apart from Mark's😂

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

I have no faith in the BBCs ability to produce entertaining content anymore. I have no faith in reviewers. I can only judge with my own eyes and in my experience anything the Beeb outs out these days is laced with "woke" tropes.

Just found this comment on a review for Dracula and it made me chuckle

Submitted by Stephen McManus (not verified) on Wed, 01/01/2020 - 23:14
I don't often post comments on TV drama but I just watched BBC 'Dracula' and I am absolutely furious. It claims it is based on Bram Stoker's Dracula- a classic novel which I read that is absolutely enthralling. So I was excited to see a BBC adaptation of it. Instead I was subjected to an hour and a half of absolute bullshit which had nothing to do with the novel apart from the name! It didn't make sense and if ever there was a case for not paying your licence fee for BBC to produce utter crap and destroy good books this was it. It reflects nothing of the horror of the novel and other TV adaptations, of atmosphere of Transylvania of the fascinating build up of Dracula character. To clarify in simple terms Jonathon Harker was not drained of the lifeforce, didnt become a vampire. Dracula left him in the care of his three brides and he eventually escaped, recovered and married Mina. Van Helsing is a man not an atheist nun. Dracula did not go to a nunnery in Hungary to slaughter Nuns (why would he even bother to do so from Romania!). And if the screen writers are going to suggest Dracula would go to a nunnery he be cleverer ways to get in than coming out of a dog naked and trying to scare them in such a stupid way. Did the screen writers even read the Novel. The BBC should be ashamed of themselves for producing such nonsensical rubbish!

A little (lot) different to what we've been talking about but I just watched the first (of two) parts of the documentary "Exposed: The Church's Darkest Secret" on iPlayer; absolutely mind boggling.

21 hours ago, MikeO said:

A little (lot) different to what we've been talking about but I just watched the first (of two) parts of the documentary "Exposed: The Church's Darkest Secret" on iPlayer; absolutely mind boggling.

And now the second part, overall a disgraceful cover up and old boys network (including prince Charles and George Carey, ex Archbishop of Canterbury and still House of Lords member) which allowed predatory paedophiles to operate with the church with impunity in the C of E since the 1970s. Carey in particular withheld evidence, man should be in prison rather than the upper house.

Say what you want about Jodie Whittaker (who I personally don't mind in the role) and the current "companions" (who really do need binning) but that episode of Dr Who yesterday was outstanding! Brilliant story-line opening up many questions for future stuff. 

Rated at 8.2 out of 10 on imdb when a lot of her episodes have  been 3/4/5 and up with many episode ratings for past docs.

Even if you have stopped watching do yourself a favour; hold your nose, ignore the three stooges and give it a try. Josh had stopped watching completely but he loved it also.

30 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Someone hold my coat, we need to take this outside😂

Bring it old man!

Just don’t hit me, I break easily. Usually without anyone’s help...

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

And know Sabre lights or Ray guns allowed. 

Is this you talking fancy or has autocorrect done you over?

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Bring it old man!

Just don’t hit me, I break easily. Usually without anyone’s help...

Is this you talking fancy or has autocorrect done you over?

Me again😳

57 minutes ago, Bill said:

Another programme originally made for Kids, the minute i hear the intro i switch off. Not sure but i think it started off on kids TV, still for kids.

Nope. Never kid's TV.

"The programme was originally intended to appeal to a family audience as an educational programme using time travel as a means to explore scientific ideas and famous moments in history."

Seriously those that have missed out on the joy of it from 1963 are the losers in my opinion (not singleing you out Bill because I respect and accept your view).

True Romance. Was on a list of blockbuster classics and I couldn't remember if I'd watched it before from the name. The scene with the dad tied to the chair jogged my memory though. 

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Dr Who Maybe didn't start out on kids TV but it was aimed at kids, and still is.

Children's programmes on the BBC are shown on CBBC nowadays Bill, not prime time Sunday evening on BBC1. It's aimed at families (but not at grouch-bags;)).

List of BBC kids progs has animated versions on it but not the real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BBC_children's_television_programmes#D

Saw 1917 today and was disappointed given the reviews I've seen. The "one take" way they did it was clever but for me it didn't convey the true horror of the time, and at times it was very pedestrian with the odd pointless scene thrown in as well.

Shame because I was looking forward to it. 

Catching up with Star Wars - Picard, watched the first two or three when they were first aired but then forgot about it for some reason. Very enjoyable but stunned by one thing in particular!

Jeri Ryan hasn't aged a bit, incredible for a woman in her fifties.

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

I'm back on the Man in the High Castle. Currently on Ep. 2 of Season 3. It's a great concept. 

Yeah I watched  series 1 and 2 some time ago but never got round to watching the 3rd.

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i finished it, it was alright.  first season was excellent but i felt the other seasons never really lived up to that again.  

Currently watching - High Fidelity (Hulu show not the movie) and Devs.  Both are excellent.

That's what I'm worried about. The first season was really good, and the second season was too but not as good. I hope it doesn't continue that trend. 

I plan to start Westworld over next. I've seen the first season but not the 2nd and 3rd. 

6 hours ago, Sibdane said:

That's what I'm worried about. The first season was really good, and the second season was too but not as good. I hope it doesn't continue that trend. 

I plan to start Westworld over next. I've seen the first season but not the 2nd and 3rd. 

The third season of TMITHC is the final one so I’m hoping it’s good.

I watch Westworld and am up to date on it but despite being in the third season (and last as well) I still can’t work out if I even like it. 

21 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I watch Westworld and am up to date on it but despite being in the third season (and last as well) I still can’t work out if I even like it. 

Gave up on Westworld very quickly, not a fan at all; just watched the final episode of Picard, liked it a lot other than one ridiculous scene in an earlier episode. Won't detail but no idea what the director was thinking.

50 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

So far, so good on the third season. 

...And that's how I felt about the first season of Westworld. I was interested when it first came out but I have been able to motivate myself to watch the other seasons for some reason. 

In between watching Boardwalk Empire again I watched the Start of Stan Lees Lucky Man, I'm not very keen on Nesbit as a serious actor but I think he's brilliant in this. So much so that I've just started the second series, worth watching if you haven't seen it.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

In between watching Boardwalk Empire again I watched the Start of Stan Lees Lucky Man, I'm not very keen on Nesbit as a serious actor but I think he's brilliant in this. So much so that I've just started the second series, worth watching if you haven't seen it.

The first series of Lucky Man was excellent but didn’t find the second as good, so dipped out of it early on. 

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

Wife has watched Boardwalk Empire god knows how many times but I just can't get into it, I find the acting really wooden personally but I know many (wife included) love it.

I'm actually finding it hard to get excited by anything the way things are; feels (for me) a bit like time spent in hospital and bored to tears but doing anything seems like too much hard work. Completely counter-intuitive I know but it must be something in my psyche, the one thing I have achieved is expanding my family tree back to 1751 which is eight generations back now.👍

18 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Any surprises Mike that’s a long way back. 

Not really analysed it a lot yet Palf; the software I'm using has provided a couple of chunks of hits so it now has 115 people on it going back in one branch to one William White born in 1751. I've got a bit of Inman in me (Cold Mountain anyone?) and also some Sharp, must get in touch with cousin Graeme!:P