IGNORED

What Are You Watching?

Pat

Past few weeks (and months) guess I'll riff a list makes it easier:

Breaking Bad - hadn't seen it at all and watched every episode up to the latest one within about 3 weeks. An abnormally good tv show. The everyday fear in society caked in from the aftermath of post 9/11 america is captured perfectly. Cranston has exceeded all expectations and literally turned the character from a rebellious hero to a monster. I doubt anyone else could have pulled it off to be fair. Can't wait for the final episodes.

The Prestige - One of two Noaln films, the other being insomina, that I still hadn't seen. Really liked it, but was a bit disappointed by the ending. Not so much with the revelation about Borden but the resolution with Angier. I kind of felt like the last reveal could have been done different, after all it ends with the line from Cutter "But you're not looking for the secret, youw ant to be fooled..." when I understood literally everything that happened. Either way, it was a very good film, but particularly if you like Nolan's style.

Bowling for Columbine/Fahrenheit 9/11 - Seen both before. Columbine still holds up but Fahrenheit loses some of it's impact. The whole "mother losing her son" finale was a micrcosm of the effects of war and a not so sly move by Moore to generate sympathy for his argument. The same thing I hated at the end of Columbine with the whole "leaving the picture of the sad kid".

Brasseye - Great tv series from the 90's spoofing panorama style doc's. Literally one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Saw it back in the day, still hysterical now. If you haven't seen it, check out the episode on Drugs.

Edited by The Regulator

I've had trouble with the edit function recently, although only a minor irritation

1980s night again on Greatest Hits TV. Got nothing to do with any participants respective age, it was simply a good decade for music.

Elton John on now. Even bet commercials will be on next.

Even the worst commercials are better than eighties Elton John.

I guess that's why they call it the blues, was the best (1980s) one he ever did, may well have bought it on release. It's actually a fine song.

Kim Wilde, Kids in America is on now. Did actually buy this one when it was first released, takes you back a bit.

could have been a decent pin-up, but took a career as a gardener of all things.

I guess that's why they call it the blues, was the best (1980s) one he ever did, may well have bought it on release. It's actually a fine song.

Wouldn't disagree with that, but one half decent song in ten years is a pretty poor return for such a prolific musician; and I could easily name fifty or sixty tracks from the seventies (and a number from the sixties) that blow it out of the (Madman across the) water.

Kim Wilde, Kids in America is on now. Did actually buy this one when it was first released, takes you back a bit.

could have been a decent pin-up, but took a career as a gardener of all things.

I played with Kim as an infant apparently (though I don't remember it). We were born in the same year and our fathers were friends :).

There's a lot of things I did at a younger age that I can't quite recall either. Memory's not quite what it once was.

I like Kim Wilde, she's one decent indiviudal and singer, but never really got the recognition she deserved.

The Police is on now, but I don't like anything they did, apart from Invisible Sun. You don't hear much about Sting anymore

• 2 weeks later...

The Running Man - Flim Four

Typical violent 1980s Schwarzenegger nonsense that I saw on original release and just looks terribly dated from todays perspective but it's not a bad watch. Won't be watching for long though, calling it a night damn soon, but still worth a watch if you've never seen it.

Die Hard With A Vengeance

Better than the first and fourth although not as good as the second. Haven't seen the fifth.

This was the point in time (1995) that Willis should have stepped down as McClane, or better still, bring this series to an end. Evidently too old for the part by the time of next release. Seen this about 300 times and it's one damn fine movie.

The first three die hards are very very good. As you say he's way past it in the fourth and fifth and it should have ended on die hard with a vengance. Think the first one's my favourite.

I'm a Die Hard enthusiast, hence watching this yet again, although know it inside out. Always time for other interest in this franchise.

First one is good, but too boring. You spend the whole time in one location, and Alan Rickman simply doesn't convice as a german terrorist.

And here's what's wrong with the third, we have a stupid ending in Canada with some helicopters, and all this because McClane finds an obscure aspirin bottle. Great (third) release. Lousy fucking ending

Now that's over I switched through channels and found Cliffhanger on ITV4+1. As a rule, I never watch anything on that awful channel but this is something else. One of my favorite movies and one of the best releases of the 1990s. An underrated classic. That will be all for tonight though, just a great watch to round off the night, even if goddamn commercials will be frequent as it's underway. Highly recommended.

Cliffhanger.png

Watched Despicable Me 2 last night. Another fantastic watch, brilliant for the younger ones.

The minions steal the show yet again. Love them!!

Watched the first with the little girl the other day which was great and every time the add is on for the second she shouts me "daddy watch" she's only just over two so would be hard work at the pictures so found a great copy of Monsters University and put that on for her last night which i think we both enjoyed :)

You can't beat some of the kids animated stuff

Scum (1979) but seen this before so don't really need to watch further. May continue until losing interest. Still a decent watch but not for everyone. A look back at the time when Margaret Thatcher came into power and the subsequent closure of the Borstal institutions. Interesting time capsule of a film piece, and a history lesson.

"Davis, what are you doing down there ?. This isn't Kew Gardens. On your feet"

Day of the Dead (1985)

Some say this is the best zombie movie ever made, and they even tried a spoof of this about 20 years later and it was a big commercial success but simply wasn't as good as this one. Seen this before many years ago, and while no stranger to macabre sights and seen just about everything cinema has to offer, this is a particularly nasty entry and gets a bit messy by the end.

Not a movie for kids