IGNORED

I've Heard A Rumour And It's Mindblowing

Louis

Rumours are rife in Scotland that the next shirt sponsor of Everton could be Edinburgh's Royal Bank of Scotland.

In a bizarre occurrence it is believed that no money will be changing hands, in fact it is said that RBS have offered the club a corporate account with no penalty charges or interest payable in exchange for shirt sponsorship for as long as the club remains in the Premier League. It's thought that deal may have been brokered by Tesco Chief Executive Terry Leahy who has a working relationship with RBS through Tesco Personal Finance which has become very popular and handed RBS a healthy profit of £69 million last year.

The Royal Bank of Scotland have been looking into football sponsorship for a while now and it is thought that a club sponsorship deal opportunity has never arisen before - they wanted to sponsor a competition. It seems like a very good partnership for both parties as Evertonians will be happy because a big name company is taking an interest in the club, the club will be happy as the loan payments will decrease and it secures a long term sponsorship, as Everton are very unlikely to be relegated in the near future!

Coincidentally(or deliberate?) Everton are sometimes referred to as the Royal Blues - the very colours of the bank's logo and it’s also a none too subtle reference to RBS' royal charter.

funnily enough,ive heard this one floating around pubs and taxi ranks, god knows where this ones going to go :S

What are you doing hanging around taxi ranks?

I'd be well chuffed if this comes of, our last 3 sponsors have been hardly houshold names, this is the sort of corporation we want to be involved with

Any shortfall because of loan payments is likely to be covered by the Chang Sponsorship so it evens out. According to those at the shareholders meeting the loan payments cost £2.7million (fixed payment) a year and the Chang deal brings in around 2million a year so we could be better off by £700,000 a year.. it's the equivalent of having a £2.7million sponsorship deal and kills two birds with one stone.

This does sound like a good deal in principle, big company and all and it seems that at the beginning we would save £££ on interest payments. But surely one of our main aims is to clear this debt and if the deal is long term IE until we get relegated, in 5 years time when the debt is down to say £500k a year interest payments we would be losing £1.5m a year compared to the Chang deal!

I say take cash, leave the repayments separate...unless they are giving us an unlimited overdraft and waving the interest...until we go down...in other words never (i hope)

From what I was told the loan interest in a year is a fixed at something like £225,000 a monthmeaning that every year exactly the same figure is paid back to the Bank of Ireland(?), that figure includes loan interest and the original money we borrowed returned.

I understand why you're saying that.. but the additional £700,000 saved per annum until that point would more than cover that, surely?

Let's say it takes ten years to clear the debt (optimistic) it could be an additional £7million into the club.

The only disadvantage I can see is if sponsorship deals take off like the sky money has, we would have missed out big time but personally I can't see there being a sponsorship money boom.

im from scotland myself peeps and I too have heard that this will be announced in april/may this year, heard on radio, as for no money from sponsorship it didnt mention anything about how much everton were or werent to receive but this looks likely according to reports up here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...