IGNORED

20 Long Years

Zed

It suddenly dawned on me the other day that this is my 20th season going the match. This took me back to thinking about my first season 1986/87.

To be honest a lot of it is a blur now, but I do remember some highlights I didn’t realise until I thought long and hard about it, including my first game, which was against Notts Forest and we won 2-0

I also witnessed what is amongst the best goals I’ve seen at Goodison, it was against Norwich and was in the last minute. Heath passed it to Sheedy, ran through the Norwich defence, while Sheedy scooped the ball, lobbing the defenders for Heath to run onto and volley into the goal. It competed a convincing 4-0 score line

We were also in the super cup against the shite (as we were not in Europe) and we lost 4-1 to them and I think thats where the Rush scored 1 blah blah blah song comes from. We were in the Enclosure at the Park End end so we could have a go at the RS supporters, there used to be a big metal wall between the park end and the enclosure to separate the home and away fans

There was also the shite that was the full members cup (as we were not in Europe again), loosing on penalties to some shite team I can’t remember with about 8000 other Evertonians

Then there was the Derby, the biggest game of the season, especially as we were first and second in the league. I don’t remember a thing about the game, but remember a lad from my school (Denny Burke) standing on the bar at half time in the Gwladys and setting light to a RS scarf, god knows who he nicked it off.

I went to my first away game at Aston Villa, the moment of the day was Sheedys winner which kept us on track to win the league. Amazingly away tickets were quite easy to come by, but then so where home tickets, you could pay in all games and most only had attendances of 25-30 thousand. That season I stood in the Gwladys, the Paddock, the Enclosure, Main Stand and top balcony

I watched some of the second half of the season from the regal position of the directors box, courtesy of complimentary tickets obtained by my older cousin from his boss. The main memory was a hat-trick for Wayne Clarke against Newcastle, but that didn’t shut the Geordies up even when they were 3-0 down. Some things don’t change.

Best game of the year was against Luton, we had won the league the week before against Norwich away. But this was the day that they would parade the trophy. What an amazing sight from the Gwladys as the team walked around the ground on that sunny day. The image planted in my mind is of the Bullens stands clapping as the team walked by lifting the trophy. It was like a slow motion Mexican wave. My first and my best season

Lets hope its not another 20 years before I see anything like that at Goodison

Edited by Zed

Bugger, no-one liked my story then, and theres me getting all sentimental

On the contrary Zed, it was a great read and we could do with more of that kind of post. Maybe just difficult for people to comment on such a personal recollection, but I for one applaud you for posting it!

Edited by MikeO

damnnnn i wish i was there unfortunately, im a relatively new toffee compared to you, blue still fills my blood though. good stories to hear and i cant wait till moyes and his heroes make new memories! it must be so good to be at a game ive never been :< im going to england in a few years after tafe/uni and the first thing ill be buying is my season ticket!

Zed, it was a good read, but all I've experienced as an Everton fan is relegation battles, apart from the FA Cup win of course.

I'm waiting for us to be the team that most people on here saw in the 80's, then I'll post what it was like to watch a great team. Until then, I'll watch patiently while the team is building to be that team :huh:;)

One of you oldies will have to help me out here it was either August 89 or September 90, I was playing football in the back garden when my mum shouted me into the house, "your uncle steve is on the phone". The day my life changed forever!! Half an hour later and I was on my way to Goodison Park for the very first time, I had been a Blue since a young age with my Grandad & 2 uncles winning the battle of wills against my red shite dad. I walked up Gwladys Street that day and Steve bought me a little white Everton crest pin badge on our way to the Upper Bullens. Steve told me all the way up how his seats on the 18 yeard line at the Gwladys Street end were the best in the house but little did I realise what was about to happen to me. I walked up the stairs everything so big and old, I could feel the aura of the place as the light poured down the entrance stairs while I walked up to get my very first sight of the old lady :D

The match was against Southampton in the old first devision and we played a blinder winning 3-0 with a Tony Cottee hat trick, that was it I had my very first Everton hero nothing would ever be able to take away the feeling TC gave me that day. I wouldnt step foot inside Goodison park again until the back end of 1994 but after watching the sway, surge & cheer of the Lower Gwladys Street packed with all the lads I knew exactly which part of the ground I would be watching from, fuck steves "best seats in the house" I was Gwladys thro & thro without ever having set foot on it.

So the 94-95 season started and I was getting a little older, brought up by my mum with my 3 siblings I had very little cash & very little opportunity to get to the game but my big break came in the summer of 94 when I got a job on a catering van over at the local footie fields. Finaly I had money of my own and I knew exactly what I was gona do with it!!

As my user name suggests I am extreamly sketchy with my memory but over that cup winning season I went to several games soaking up the atmosphere and learning the score with going the game. The only thing I can remember from that season inside Goodison was playing Southampton (again!) the week before the cup final. The game was a 0-0 but the atmosphere was electric, "Tell me ma, me ma.....", "Its a long way to wembly stadium......" & "We're on the march with Joeys army...." I left that match for the first but definatly not the last time with a splitting head ache, a croaking voice & feeling on top of the world. I had found my singing voice & the match would never be the same!!

I watched the cup final on TV that year I had no ticket & the uncles & all my mates did do it started off a very sad day indeed but once mid day came I was a wreck with nerves. Mum had picked that day of all to decorate the living room and refused point blank to let me move the big telly into the back room so I watched nervously on the portable in the back room whilst videoing so I could watch it back. Stewart hit the bar, Rideout jumped and the rest is ancient history :D at the final whistle I couldnt contain myself and rather than watching us lift the cup I ran around the estate singing songs & pretending I was Paul Rideout (hero number 3, 2 had already been claimed by Duncan).

I worked my little socks off all summer with the sole aim of purchasing a season ticked for the start of the 95-96 season I think it only cost me about £100-130 or sumat like that. That was it I was a Gwladys street season ticket holder, I sat in the middle at the back, I stood on my seat & I sung until my voice gave up every single game. I went to my first away game at Blackburn that season with a few lads form school & sat in the upper stand at Ewood & have gone regularly away ever since.

What gets me about the match isnt the football its the fans, the common aim, the strange friendships you form & the glue of Everton that bonds us all together. I love to hear the lads in full voice, I love to jump and be jumped on when a goal is scored, I love the feeling of helplessness when you fall over the seat behind whilst celebrating and a total stranger picks you up before giving you a "football hug" and bounding off but most of all I love the roar that goes up when the chips are down and the team starts fighting. You all know what I mean it's the moment one of our lads gets stuck into one of their lads and you just know thats it, no one is sitting down for the rest of the game and we the Evertonians are gona carry our team across the finish line whatever it takes. Win loose or draw for those final 20 minutes or whatever it is Everton football club, manager, players, fans, ball boys, toffee lady, wooden seats, obstructed view posts, Glawdys church & the ghosts of the school of science are all one for the good of our team. That is Everton for me it's like a drug I cant be away from it even if I try.

So you have the build up and I have lots of work to do but when I get another chance I'll fill you in on my most prominent memories from my time as a proud holder of an Everton season ticket!

Great Recolections their

What gets me about the match isnt the football its the fans, the common aim, the strange friendships you form & the glue of Everton that bonds us all together. I love to hear the lads in full voice, I love to jump and be jumped on when a goal is scored, I love the feeling of helplessness when you fall over the seat behind whilst celebrating and a total stranger picks you up before giving you a "football hug" and bounding off but most of all I love the roar that goes up when the chips are down and the team starts fighting. You all know what I mean it's the moment one of our lads gets stuck into one of their lads and you just know thats it, no one is sitting down for the rest of the game and we the Evertonians are gona carry our team across the finish line whatever it takes. Win loose or draw for those final 20 minutes or whatever it is Everton football club, manager, players, fans, ball boys, toffee lady, wooden seats, obstructed view posts, Glawdys church & the ghosts of the school of science are all one for the good of our team. That is Everton for me it's like a drug I cant be away from it even if I try.

And that sums it up for me too.

Ive been going the game with a gang of lads for about 12-13 years now, we all met on an away mid week game to York back in the day, there was about 3 to 4 groups who got introduced on that day and we've stayed mates since and most of us are all still there. That was an amazing day and if I had half a brain I 'd write a story about it.

My love affair began in 1970, the only thing my useless Father ever gave me was my football club, and for that I thank him.

We were off to the game, my first game, Everton and Arsenal, I had only just got to grips with the concept of football, I played it and I loved it.

The crowd was milling around and the smell of beery breath seemed to be everywhere and everyone was so big, I was picked up by my Dad and carried to one end of the ground, my beloved Glwadys St. The steps going up into the stadium were gigantic and I was being buffeted all over the shop, I looked up and saw the sky and it was so unexpected and as we got closer to the top of the stairs the whole ground appeared before me. Very slowly the floodlights hit me and I drank it in with bright young eyes, never have I seen grass so green, or a pitch so big.

Dad was telling me to take in everything, the sights and smells. He placed me in front of a barrier stantion and took hold of my coat and lifted me up onto the barrier itself, and then the most fantastic tune belted out of massive speakers high above me, I knew the tune but couldn't place it, but I knew I loved it. The noise that followed the appearence of the blue shirted and red and white players was incredible, I had never heard anything like it.

The match was a blur, I was pushed and shoved all over the place I missed 3 of the 4 goals scored that day, but it didn't matter, I was at the match and it blew my little mind.

I have loved more than one woman in my life, but there has only ever been one club, and they have given me highs and lows that equal any other experiences in my life.

I was born to be a Blue, will live as a Blue and will die a Blue.

ATB

Mac

sounds a good story mate :)

Makes me think now how lucky I was to get a season ticket 4 years back, we couldnt get one because there was none anywer at the time, and my uncle sent a story about when he was little and he went to the boys pen or something.(im to young to have been there) then BK send a letter back saying he will see what he can do about a season ticket. Then a week or 2 later we were there picking a ticket in the mainstand which was good.

Even though my opinions change alot I have to thank BK for getting us one.

Edited by Blue4Ever

It suddenly dawned on me the other day that this is my 20th season going the match. This took me back to thinking about my first season 1986/87.

To be honest a lot of it is a blur now, but I do remember some highlights I didn’t realise until I thought long and hard about it, including my first game, which was against Notts Forest and we won 2-0

I also witnessed what is amongst the best goals I’ve seen at Goodison, it was against Norwich and was in the last minute. Heath passed it to Sheedy, ran through the Norwich defence, while Sheedy scooped the ball, lobbing the defenders for Heath to run onto and volley into the goal. It competed a convincing 4-0 score line

We were also in the super cup against the shite (as we were not in Europe) and we lost 4-1 to them and I think thats where the Rush scored 1 blah blah blah song comes from. We were in the Enclosure at the Park End end so we could have a go at the RS supporters, there used to be a big metal wall between the park end and the enclosure to separate the home and away fans

There was also the shite that was the full members cup (as we were not in Europe again), loosing on penalties to some shite team I can’t remember with about 8000 other Evertonians

Then there was the Derby, the biggest game of the season, especially as we were first and second in the league. I don’t remember a thing about the game, but remember a lad from my school (Denny Burke) standing on the bar at half time in the Gwladys and setting light to a RS scarf, god knows who he nicked it off.

I went to my first away game at Aston Villa, the moment of the day was Sheedys winner which kept us on track to win the league. Amazingly away tickets were quite easy to come by, but then so where home tickets, you could pay in all games and most only had attendances of 25-30 thousand. That season I stood in the Gwladys, the Paddock, the Enclosure, Main Stand and top balcony

I watched some of the second half of the season from the regal position of the directors box, courtesy of complimentary tickets obtained by my older cousin from his boss. The main memory was a hat-trick for Wayne Clarke against Newcastle, but that didn’t shut the Geordies up even when they were 3-0 down. Some things don’t change.

Best game of the year was against Luton, we had won the league the week before against Norwich away. But this was the day that they would parade the trophy. What an amazing sight from the Gwladys as the team walked around the ground on that sunny day. The image planted in my mind is of the Bullens stands clapping as the team walked by lifting the trophy. It was like a slow motion Mexican wave. My first and my best season

Lets hope its not another 20 years before I see anything like that at Goodison

This brought back a few memories and I find it amazing that I can still remember some of these games so vividly but asked me who knocked us out the cup last season and I'll struggle.

I started going regularly a couple od seasons earlier at the beginning of the 84/85 season (lucky eh?) but was old enough in the season remembered above to go to most of the away games on my own (I was 16) so this for me is remembered with more affection.

The Norwich game was a cracker topped off by that goal but we seemed to be beating everyone 3 or 4 nil in that era so doesn't stand out as a 'great'

I remember going to both legs of the Super Cup final, we lost 3 -1 a analfield with Sheedy scoring a free kick past Hooper (as he did in the corresponding league game there with the same scoreline) and Rush scoring two for them and yes 4 - 1 in the second leg with a Rush hat trick (Sharp last minute penalty for us and Steven missed a pen I think). I think the Rush song is from the 5 - 0 derby though when big nose scored 4 (what a twit he was against us)??

I think the Goodison derby that year was a bore 0 0 draw but didn't they beat us in the league and FA cup that season too (we played them 7 times I think including charity shield without winning any, the only team we didn't beat that season and the only downside to a memorable campaign).

The Full Members Cup game was against Charlton, and the three things I remember about that night are big Nev scoring a penalty, the game (with extra time, penalties etc. ) went on until about 11.30pm (on a school night!!) and it was ABSOLUTELY FREEZING)!!

I was right in the middle of the Witton Lane end for that Villa game when Sheedy scored a volley from the edge of the area and still put it down to my best ever away game. There was rumoured to be 12-15 thousand Everton fans there which is incredible.

Newcastle game sticks in my mind because it was 0 0 and very nervous until about 25 mins from the end which was a contrast to the next game home to West Ham where we led 4 0 after half an hour (including a Peter Reid left foot curler).

The great thing about that season though was the way the red shite capitulated after losing the league cup final to Arsenal. They were 9 points clear of us towards the end of March (although we had 2 games in hand) but seemed to lose almost every game after that whereas we were just coming into form.

My biggest regret from that season, football in general and possibly life came after travelling to the Norwich game when we clinched the league. I left just after the final whistle to try and stock up on some booze for the coach home (which I couldn't cos the shop had closed) and got back to the coach to hear that the players were back on the pitch and being carried around by the supporters. I was sitting on the coach (yep just me and the driver) close to tears with frustration and anger.

Anyhoo, hopefully I'll get the chance to see it again some day and can banish those demons once and for all (next season maybe :huh: )

Great memories though all the same!

Edited by sheedysheedysheedy

i remember my first game we was at home to Chelsea, was in 1998. My dad (who was a RS) took me as i was a blue (only one in the family then) and it was one of the best expirences of my life, i had been following everton since i started taking a liking to football at the age of around 3 or 4.

remember sitting in the main stand, just about level with the half way line.

we won the game 3-1 which was a good result.

My love affair began in 1970, the only thing my useless Father ever gave me was my football club, and for that I thank him.

We were off to the game, my first game, Everton and Arsenal, I had only just got to grips with the concept of football, I played it and I loved it.

The crowd was milling around and the smell of beery breath seemed to be everywhere and everyone was so big, I was picked up by my Dad and carried to one end of the ground, my beloved Glwadys St. The steps going up into the stadium were gigantic and I was being buffeted all over the shop, I looked up and saw the sky and it was so unexpected and as we got closer to the top of the stairs the whole ground appeared before me. Very slowly the floodlights hit me and I drank it in with bright young eyes, never have I seen grass so green, or a pitch so big.

Dad was telling me to take in everything, the sights and smells. He placed me in front of a barrier stantion and took hold of my coat and lifted me up onto the barrier itself, and then the most fantastic tune belted out of massive speakers high above me, I knew the tune but couldn't place it, but I knew I loved it. The noise that followed the appearence of the blue shirted and red and white players was incredible, I had never heard anything like it.

The match was a blur, I was pushed and shoved all over the place I missed 3 of the 4 goals scored that day, but it didn't matter, I was at the match and it blew my little mind.

I have loved more than one woman in my life, but there has only ever been one club, and they have given me highs and lows that equal any other experiences in my life.

I was born to be a Blue, will live as a Blue and will die a Blue.

ATB

Mac

FOFF Mac, you put me to shame with your well thought out, poiniant story, talk about painting a picture <_<

The Full Members Cup game was against Charlton, and the three things I remember about that night are big Nev scoring a penalty, the game (with extra time, penalties etc. ) went on until about 11.30pm (on a school night!!) and it was ABSOLUTELY FREEZING)!!

The great thing about that season though was the way the red shite capitulated after losing the league cup final to Arsenal. They were 9 points clear of us towards the end of March (although we had 2 games in hand) but seemed to lose almost every game after that whereas we were just coming into form.

Sheedy - You remember well, reading your story brought back my memories of BIG NEVS penelty, if the keeper had have got his hands to it he would have ended up in the back of the net too

Also you last point above is funny, becasue many red claimed they lost the league and we never won it, the fact that we won 10 out of our last 12 games with one draw and one loss says it all (the cunts)

Sheedy - You remember well, reading your story brought back my memories of BIG NEVS penelty, if the keeper had have got his hands to it he would have ended up in the back of the net too

Also you last point above is funny, becasue many red claimed they lost the league and we never won it, the fact that we won 10 out of our last 12 games with one draw and one loss says it all (the cunts)

Of course we could say the same thing about the previous season. We'd just beaten them 2 0 at analfield when Nev got injured playing for Wales (under a challenge from that twit Aldridge) and from then on we were never the same (sorry Bobby Mimms but..). I was at that Oxford game at the Manor Ground when we virtually lost the league (was it Brian Hamilton 4 mins from end?) and it must go down as one of the worst (thankfully I never made it to Wembley)

Fuckin hell I'm depressed now!!

Good reading these. Can't resist adding a few. Age 37 now, started supporting the Blues in 78 and started going 83, so got to enjoy the 80's Blues.

In no particular order;

1) Consecutuve weekends, October 84: first, my only ever time on The Kop, for Sharpy's moment! Fantastic. Next time you see a clip of that goal watch the 7 or 8 Blues on the pitch celebrating (none me of course) - most celebrate with the players but my favourite was the lad who did an impression of an aeroplane fly-by as way of celebration. The following weekend being on the Gwladys St to see us trounce United 5-0.

2) Ripping Sunderland apart at home 4-0 that season, including a great team goal involving Steven, Reid and bullet header from Gray.

3) Bayern Munich. Say no more. I'll probably think about that night in my final hours on this earth should my eventual departure be a gradual one.

4) Away at Spurs, Easter - as good as won the title that night. When 2-1 up and under pressure Nev's save that night was unreal. Spurs fans threw snooker balls at us that night and it was scary trying to get back to the coach but at 15 counts as education!

5) Jumping to the 87 season - I went to Highbury late in the season. Train delayed meant got into the ground after 10 minutes having missed the only goal of the game (Wayne Clarke for us) - but I'll always believe I was the first Blue to jump up and down that day when I heard on the radio that Wimbledon went ahead at Anfield - informing my fellow Blues with my big mouth and seeing them celebrate with our players looking around in disbelief!

But, celebrating at Chelsea last Sunday...I'm telling you, success for us is coming soon..

Good reading these. Can't resist adding a few. Age 37 now, started supporting the Blues in 78 and started going 83, so got to enjoy the 80's Blues.

5) Jumping to the 87 season - I went to Highbury late in the season. Train delayed meant got into the ground after 10 minutes having missed the only goal of the game (Wayne Clarke for us) - but I'll always believe I was the first Blue to jump up and down that day when I heard on the radio that Wimbledon went ahead at Anfield - informing my fellow Blues with my big mouth and seeing them celebrate with our players looking around in disbelief!

Forgot about that one, another of my favourites. remember being in an uncovered end and it was pissing down! Arse fans singin " gettin wet, gettin wet, gettin wet"!

Remember walking back to the coach praying that Rush had scored for the shite and "that" record had finally gone! It hadn't (dalglish I think) but it did a few weeks later in the League Cup then again in the league a couple of weeks later (against Norwich or Coventry?)

Edited by sheedysheedysheedy

some great memories there lads!

i cant remember my first game, i just always remember ive been to Goodison all my life!

but my earliest memory i remember was when i heard my dad swear for the first time!

we were sat in the lower bullens, we were playing leeds, we had a man sent off and we were 2-0 up.

some gobshite leeds fans were shouting shit over the fence. my dad got up on his own...

"fuck off dickhead, what are you shouting for? your getting beat by ten men! fuck off!

theres been plenty of days/nites since then.

the johnson protest. everyone was running on the pitch, i looked at my dad, he told me "go 'ed mate!"

so i ran on the pitch, dug a big lump of turf out of the ground, stuffed it into my tracky and put it in a bowl in my room. about a week later it started to stink big time, i was gutted when my mum threw it away!

wasnt much to celebrate through most of my time as a blue, im envious of the fellas who got to see the great players who built this club. i had an uncle who sadly past on about 8 years ago, used to tell me if he tried to explain just how good dixie was he couldnt come close with words. so he just left it as he was the best of his time, and he hasnt seen anyone as good since.

now days i go the match with my mate, his dad and smoe of his mates. they always tell us about some of the players of their childhood, the holy trinity - the 80's - the trips to away games - hitch hiking to wembley. im sure i was born about 30 years too late

Those times will return for you Steve, and i agree with Blue-4-ever this should be a sticky.

Yeah some great memories amongst them and i remember them all, if i get a few days to spare i can add some wonderfull memories to those, cos after 50 odd years of Everton in my blood there has been lots more.

Takes me a bit of time to seperate them all these days cos all my recollections are unfortunately mixed up in the Mist of a fading memory, great times indeed but I'm finding it harder to write into a single story.

Keep up the good work lads, it helps me to say, oh yeah I remember that, COS I WAS THERE. :D

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

The one that I wasn't at, but would like to hear about is January 1984, FA Cup 3rd Round, away at Stoke. We filled the away end and as the story goes, Kendall didn't do a teamtalk, he instead opened the window of the changing rooms and let the players hear our support.

That must have been a good singsong you boys that were there. Did us proud!