Sign in to follow this  
Louis

Uefa Cup

First potential opponents for the last 32 (draw Friday at 12.00) after groups E to H completed tonight are...

Zurich

Galatasaray

Anderlecht

Bolton finished third in Group F but pretty certain the rules say we can't play them at this stage.

I see why you said that Mark, but at the moment I feel we can take anybody on with a better than average chance of doing them. The way moral is at the moment it would be a great chance to beat anyone. Great days my Blue friends, great days indeed.

ATB

Mac

Galatasaray is always a dodgy place to go, but they were extremely luck to qualify....0-0 home draw against Austria Vienna last night and only Bordeaux coming from 2-0 down to beat Panionios put them through on goal difference with four points.

Aberdeen is another interesting possibility, if they beat Copenhagen tonight :) .

First potential opponents for the last 32 (draw Friday at 12.00) after groups E to H completed tonight are...

Zurich

Galatasaray

Anderlecht

Add...

Aberdeen

SK Brann

AEK Athens

Not sure if this Bayern team know each other well enough, and yes they have a season to do so, but there is also still the "Team Hollywood" atmosphere that seems to be there so I'm not sure they'd fancy it against our lads when we're up for it.

Villareal... They could lose sight of this competition and concentrate on the league, plus their better players can be injury-prone over a season.

Marseille... Not sure they have the quality to match our lads when we're having a good day.

Saying all that, and despite the fact that we have put ourselves in an excellent position, it is still a knock-out competition either way so luck will be a major factor.

How far can we go?

Can we really win it with Bayern Munich, Villareal, Marseille etc in it?

Course we can. Friggin' Bolton played Bayern Munich to a draw in Munich, so why should we be scared of them? Villareal is losing Riquelme in January and we're a much better team than the last time we played them. Marseille is sitting in 14th place in the French League. I respect all of our potential remaining opponents, because they're all good enough to dump us out if we don't play well, but I don't fear any of them, simply because I believe in this team and what they're capable of.

Out of the list, the only one I wouldnt fancy is Galatasary, only becasue its a horrible place to go, dont think their team is up to much atm

Of course we can win it, but it will take a bit of luck and we have a long long way to go yet, but why not!!!

You mention Villareal and Marseille, come on we ve got to fancy our chances against them. But it could be the team you leaast expect who give you a game (REMEMBER METALIST) they were better than anything we faced in this group

As always REALISTIC BUT OPTOMISTIC

Lets not get all carried away though and concentrate on the next game

Out of the list, the only one I wouldnt fancy is Galatasary, only becasue its a horrible place to go, dont think their team is up to much atm

Of course we can win it, but it will take a bit of luck and we have a long long way to go yet, but why not!!!

You mention Villareal and Marseille, come on we ve got to fancy our chances against them. But it could be the team you leaast expect who give you a game (REMEMBER METALIST) they were better than anything we faced in this group

As always REALISTIC BUT OPTOMISTIC

Lets not get all carried away though and concentrate on the next game

I like that Sentance.

Munich have decent players but Without Ribery they are nothing. And that will be the hard bit, Lescott will have to be top of his game to keep him from getting the box.

not to fussed who we get, i think we will beat any1 we face, When is the Draws?

good draw if you ask me, best we could have hoped for.

my local club glentoran, who i watch every week home and away, drew sk brann in 2006 uefa cup qualifying rounds, and we ran them close, only going down 0-2 on aggregate, bear in mind they a full time team in full flight of their season and we were part-timers just starting pre-season, and throughout my years watching the glens, they were one of the worst european teams i have seen at the oval.

stadium in bergen was decent, bergen and norway as a whole is very expensive.

good draw if you ask me, best we could have hoped for.

my local club glentoran, who i watch every week home and away, drew sk brann in 2006 uefa cup qualifying rounds, and we ran them close, only going down 0-2 on aggregate, bear in mind they a full time team in full flight of their season and we were part-timers just starting pre-season, and throughout my years watching the glens, they were one of the worst european teams i have seen at the oval.

Brann Stadium capacity 17.000. :huh:

think that fiorentina would be really difficult, if we get there

Same here Mate, but i think we have the better squad and should come out on top.

when is the next UEFA game?

1228: Marseille/Spartak Moscow v Zenit/Villarreal.

1227: Slavia Prague/Tottenham v PSV/Helsingborgs.

1226: Rosenborg/Fiorentina v Brann/Everton.

1225: AEK Athens/Getafe v Benfica/Nuremberg.

1225: Galatasaray/Leverkusen v FC Zurich/Hamburg.

1224: Bolton/Atletico v Sporting Lisbon/FC Basle.

1224: Rangers/Panathinaikos v Werder Bremen/Braga.

1223: Anderlecht/Bordeaux v Aberdeen/Bayern.

if we beat brann then i hope we get rosenborg, Fiorentina are a decent team, as are rosenborg like but would rather us get those, either way it will be a difficult match which we can win but will need to be on top of our game

well do em all, toffees for the cup

The first legs of the first Uefa Cup kmockout stage will be played on 13 & 14 February and the second legs on 21 February. For the next round, first legs on 6 March and second legs on 12 & 13 March.

No offense to Glentoran, but it was the 1st qualification round, and we fielded a team of reserves.. :P

Unless you shell out for the Thomas Cook package seemingly. Part of me can't help feel that that's wrong.

You can't buy it unless you qualify Louis...

"All supporters are advised that if they do not meet the ticket eligibility criteria then they should not make an application to either the Club or Thomas Cook, as this will ultimately slow the allocation process down."

I see we're on Channel Five again next week <_< . Shame, don't normally have a good word to say about ITV sport but their coverage was way superior in my opinion. Never mind, better than nothing.

Zenit have beaten Villarreal 1-0 in the first leg in Russia. Be nice if they went out....one of the five or six favourites for the trophy. Also makes our performance look all the better.

yeah, i was impressed by zenit and would be good if they knocked them out. I can see Atletico having a good shot a winning the cup tbh. Will be interesting to see how they get on tomorrow. They've been doing very well this season... but then again so have we... heady times indeed

£55 a ticket! Madness!

£55 a ticket....if we're in it...madness :o !! Are you serious?

Bargain of the fucking century!! I'm in.

Thought I'd have no chance of getting one.

No reductions for children either Bill :) . Never mind, gotta be done (and as been), wouldn't forgive myself if we made it and I hadn't tried. Worse case scenario is we get knocked out, get the tickets in the ballot and the final's Spurts v Notlob <_< .

I suppose at least I could get the cash back on ebay :) .

£55 a ticket....if we're in it...madness :o !! Are you serious?

Bargain of the fucking century!! I'm in.

Thought I'd have no chance of getting one.

who would be eligible then, s.t holders?

i yes i think £55 is expensive, though if we're in it may be value for money, but having really thought about it from lime street its 8.50 return to manchester stations so travel is cut right out. :D

Saw an article today that said the Premiership is in the hunt for an extra UEFA Cup berth next year - it is currently leading UEFA's Fair Play standings, which is worth an extra bid to the country finishing first at the end of the club season.

Apparently "fair play" only applies to standards of player behaviour and not referees' decisions. ;)

who would be eligible then, s.t holders?

i yes i think £55 is expensive, though if we're in it may be value for money, but having really thought about it from lime street its 8.50 return to manchester stations so travel is cut right out. :D

The clubs would get 13,000 each to distribute as they see fit. Season ticket holder would be a starting point....but there are more than 13,000 of them I'd have thought.

See the bookies have us up to joint second favourites with Spurs (behind Bayern) after the last couple of nights results.

....and another thing...

Bolton beating Atletico after Sergio Aguero sent off...never thought I'd see El Hadji Diouf actually benefit from someone spitting :o !

i used to think he did till i saw him almost cold hearted sitting on the sidelines when we scores.... didn't even flinch... does he love the club, or is he just passionate about what he does? i think he cares about football, and he wants success for his teammates and himself, although that would bring success to the club i think his affection is with the team as opposed to the club. you may say ofcourse or disagree, but i don't think he loves the club...not like say, for example, big dunc did.

Cahill needs to be rested tomorrow, most of his performances lately he just hasn't even been in the game, I like Cahill, not many players in are team play with a passion to play football like him and he scores some important goals but other than that I can't see him improving his all round game. I would like him to be captain but were improving all the time and sooner or later he will struggle to get in the side.