IGNORED

Jags Has Now Signed

Interesting bit at the bottom of the story which I missed first time...

Part of the deal may well include a switch to Yorkshire for Gary Naysmith. The Scottish defender has been given permission to meet with Sheffield United and discuss a possible move to Bramall Lane.

Edited by MikeO

glad his has signed but hope DM means a few more than 1 or 2 new signings even more so if Naysmith is leaving as even though we geting a better player still need more players but left back as said before we do have a few options there.

6 weeks to go til the season starts I beleive

Guest blueboy122

David Moyes is having a giigle if he thinks we only need 1 or 2 more players we need at least 5 or 6!! has he not learned from last time it will affect are league form!!!!!!! I will seriously be mad if we dont sign more than 4 or 5 players!

haha our long lasting european campaign really put pressure on our small squad! all 4 games!

be realistic lads, can anyone genuinely see us signing anymore than 2 more players in pre-season?

we arent gunna go out and buy 5 or 6 players! its not realistic, and can also be a big change for the existing group to cope with. team spirit is a major thing at everton, too many changes can rock the boat.

glad jags is finally here. not sure where he will play thou! im guessing centre half when yobo is away

Ive liked this lad for a while, saw a bit of him the other season for Shef and i was impressed.

Very useful player in several positions, better utility man than Neville IMO.

I think he be the new Carsley when we have a fit full team.

Good deal this I think, fair price for a good player and we got to offload Naysmith, who wasnt the best to be fair.

Heres to a few more eh :)

A good send off by a blade, gives you an insight of a true pro Signing...........

--------------

A sad day for the club if inevitable that the best player leaves.

I have no problem with Jagielka going at all. For once there is no blame attached to the club nor the player. Yes, maybe we could have got more in comparison to other prices being accrued for players but we in order to keep him a couple of years ago and last summer (Wigan and a few others have had massive bids for him) we had to put in a clause that if we did go down then it would not be for a ridiculous fee and one that was more realistic and 4 million is still not bad (record fee received I believe - surpassing Lee Morris?). It was a gamble but one that the club was right to make.

Jags had to go for his own career. He would have been daft to stay with us even though we would have loved him to stay. He owed us nothing anymore. The guy is a class act who has the potential to be part of the England squad and set up for years to come. Everton is a great move. They are not in the top 4 clubs but in the bracket below and gets to play under a top manager in my opinion. I hope Everton play him at centre back which is his best position. With a strong dominant centre half alongise him, he has the pace, ability to read the game and football brain to be a huge success.

As for my memories of Jagielka, well I remember watching Tongey, Monty and Jags at Abbeydale as 16/17 year olds and thinking that Jags looked a competent but fairly ordinary player. Tongey and Monty always stood out more. My intitial thoughts were confirmed when he played at reserve team level. He even looked distinctly average at first team level initially despite scoring a brace vs Gazza and Burnley. The following season though he was placed at right back for a game at Wolves I believe and never looked back. Undoubtedbly the goal against Leeds launched him properly. One of the best goals and hardest shots I ever saw at the Lane. I also remember him outsprinting Harry Kewell (when kewell was good and very fast) in the game and thinking we have a player here. He had a great remainder of the season playing mainly at right back but also then at centre back, where he was superb in games against Arsenal (recall he kept up for 20 yards with a fresh Henry - came on as sub) and then against Forest in our triple assault season. I recall that the game against Forest and David Johnson as one of the best I have seen by a centre back for the Blades in my lifetime. Some of the tackles, blocks and interceptions he made were phenomenal. Shame he had a stinker (with the rest v Wolves in the play off final).

He continued to excel at centre back but was also put back in midfield when we eventually gained promotion. At times he looked as good as he had ever done in this position especially when paired with Monty when we went unbeaten for long periods of the promotion season. He faded in the second half of the season and returned to play in defence again. Warnock never knew where to play him and recognised that whilst he was not as good in midfield was still better than most of the other midfielders we had! He was eventually restored to defence for the Premiership season after an unimpressive start in midfield though. Once again a massive goal and a great shot versus Middlesbro in stoppage time helped kickstart our season. His brave display in goal versus Arsenal (a game in which he played 3 positions) gave us one of the most memorable nights at the Lane in years. I recall the penalty versus Spurs at the Kop end as the moment I actually felt we had done it and secured another season in the top flight. Alas, it all went wrong but Jags, despite the handball in the crucial game, was without doubt our most consistent player for much of the season as he had been for years previously. He was one of the players that may not have been flashy but he was so reliable and you could count the really bad games he ever had for United on one hand. He also rearely ever missed a game and was a superb professional in that sense, often probably playing when carrying knocks etc. United fans will realise how good he was when they see the team play without him next season and realise all the little things he did to contribute to the teams performance.

He certainly surpassed my expectations from those early days in the youth team and went onto become one of United's best players in recent times. I for one would like to thank him for his service, commitment and the memories he helped contribute to, as a Blades player. I just hope we are back in the Premiership soon and we can thank him for what he did and what he contributed.

Thanks Jags, a top blade and a true Pro.

Agree Stevo never going to happen 5-6 players even though we know we need them to add to the squad.

With Jag signing and Naysmith leaving we in no better position in terms of numbers than last season infact we lost Wright and Pistone as well so 1 goalkeeper and 2 left backs down we are in fact 2 players down.

Will be miss the players leaving. wouldn't have thought so as we all wanted them to leave and should have enough cover for all the players but we have seen it before where we have had Valente, Boyle, naysmith and Pistone all injured (last season) and had to play Lescott or Neville there and where as they coped well enough I would rather have Lescott in the centre.

The only way we would get 5-6 players is if we get 3 'decent' players that will add something to the team and can be first teamers and if get 3 'squad' players that will mainly be called apon if players are injured.

I could like with that if the 3 players that we bring in our the same sort of players we signed last season.

Welcome Phil!

It was a sleek move ideed....there was no talk on papers/website of "Phil arrived at everton for medical"..."phil undergoing medical" and so on.It seems it was done some time back quietly. If this was the approach, i am sure we already have few more new player who could have done the medical but just awaiting for them to sign on the dotted lines.....

Hoping for the best ....................................................................................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very good signing in mu opinion - I have no doubt he is going to be a commited Everton player, who has some quality.

On a day that Villa pay £8.5M for Reo-coker, the £4M invested in signing Jagielka looks to be a very good bit of business in my opinion.

Jags if fairly highly regarded after last seasons Performance. Good signing and not cost silly money, well done Moyes and the rest at the club

One or two more isn't enough IMO but Jags is a great signing. Bit stupid to get one in and let another go, therefore our squad isnt getting any bigger. But hopefully Boyle can come in and replace Nace.

Great news

lets hope the leaving of naysmith indicates our intentions for a new LB

Lets all not keep reading everything too literal, we all know we need a few players. But Everton very much keep their cards close to their chest these days, which is the way it should be

The level of pessimism amonst evertonians is un-fucking-believeable