IGNORED

Uefa Cup Run Or Top Six Finish?

Cabron1

Hi all,

In the Guardian's preview of the coming season, Mike Adamson reckons that our best bet for glory is in the UEFA Cup next season, but that would come at the expense of a good league finish due to our quality but thin squad. Read it at:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/08/...no8_everto.html

I think he's got a point. Jagielka is a typical shrewd Moyes buy, a player who has proven his quality in a lesser side and will give his all for us. However, just losing Cahill (again) has shown up just how few players we have to deputise for him and partner Arteta. Surely he can't do it all on his own again? What do you think?

There is also an 82 page supplement in the Guardian this Monday, with reviews of all the teams chances this year, as well as analysis from Pleat, Petit and loads of vital stats about performances last season.

It's a pretty blatant plug, I know, but it's well worth a look I reckon.

why does that bloke reckon beattie should play in defence???? is he MAD???

Probaly because he is big and can head the ball. But still a mad idea.

I hope we can finish in the top 6 but im not as confident on us finishing there as i was last season.

Edited by Adams

At 2.55pm this Saturday we should all believe we can win the title. For the younger ones amongst you, it really was something that fans of more teams could do in pre-premiership days. It may only last for 90 minutes (or even 20 minutes!) of the opening day but you weren't considered to be completely mad to dream it. At some point this week, let yourself dream.

And then, as I click back in to the question posed, I agree a top 6 finish would help the gradual evolution towards becoming a better side. We need to be Europe for 3 out of the next 4 seasons to really start making inroads.

Come on Blues. Beat Wigan on Saturday and then take it from there...!