IGNORED

Beattie Sold To Sheff Utd - £4million

Louis

Now please everyone lets keep our nerve about the size of the squad. Yes, we need some players in before the end of August.

But unless you have lots of money, clubs that are looking to achieve gradual progress (us) have to ship unwanted players out with the view of bringing in others considered a better option.

In recent times we have shipped out Weir, Kilbane, Duncan, Wright, Pistone, Naysmith and if confirmed, Beattie.

Weir - a rock for us but given his age and the chance to play for one of the Glasgow clubs at the end of his career was right. Otherwise, IMO, none of the others are a big loss.

Its been a tough summer being a Blue, but they will bring in key players between now and 31st August. I really do believe that. And I still think the club will pleasantly surprise us.

Time will tell.

As for Beattie - I'm sure like most I wish him well. He seems an honest bloke it simply didn't work out for him. Hats off to him for not being a prima donna and refusng to drop a division. Good luck Beats.

Now please everyone lets keep our nerve about the size of the squad. Yes, we need some players in before the end of August.

But unless you have lots of money, clubs that are looking to achieve gradual progress (us) have to ship unwanted players out with the view of bringing in others considered a better option.

In recent times we have shipped out Weir, Kilbane, Duncan, Wright, Pistone, Naysmith and if confirmed, Beattie.

Weir - a rock for us but given his age and the chance to play for one of the Glasgow clubs at the end of his career was right. Otherwise, IMO, none of the others are a big loss.

Its been a tough summer being a Blue, but they will bring in key players between now and 31st August. I really do believe that. And I still think the club will pleasantly surprise us.

Time will tell.

As for Beattie - I'm sure like most I wish him well. He seems an honest bloke it simply didn't work out for him. Hats off to him for not being a prima donna and refusng to drop a division. Good luck Beats.

Like you Phil I'm not ona get too carried away but the size of the squad is a major concern . It was highlighted about 3 seasons ago that we had the smallest squad in the Premiership and since then we have continued to shed 1 or 2 more players every season. Take last season, ok we signed a few at the beginning (after Dunc had retired) but then lost Kilbane and Weir, (and gained a loan player) then so far this have lost Wright, Pistone, Naysmith, Beattie (it seems), and a loan player and brought in Jags and another loan player (so far).

I keep hearing players and the board talking about how we need numbers in the squad to compete in Europe and I honestly expected the bodies total to be + 3 after the summers transfer dealings but is so far -3 and methinks unlikely to sign 6 players before end August (forgive me if I'm missing one or two I'm 2 bottles of wine to the good).

As I said, not going to get too carried away because at least the quality is improving but we desperately need numbers, anything less than 3 more players in is a concern and less than 2 could be disastrous, particularly with the current injuries to important players.

We have a great 1st 11, probably a top 6er, but the squad is bottom half! Are we really that hard up that wages are an issue?

Concerned

Childwall

Sheeds - agree with you entirely. I just can't be doing with any more hysteria as I suspect is about to hit the sites. I'll be as concerned as you and everyone else if there aren't a minimum of 3 in come September but I just think there will be. If nothing else because the club know full well that we are way too low on numbers.

The cavalry will arrive...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/beat...ins-blades.html

BEATTIE JOINS BLADES

James Beattie has joined Sheffield United for an initial fee of £4m.

That figure could rise to £4.5m depending on a number of add-ons included in the deal.

The striker has agreed terms with the Yorkshire side after Everton accepted a bid earlier this week.

He is the second member of the Toffees squad to join Bryan Robson's Championship outfit, following Gary Naysmith who departed earlier in the summer.

Beattie had arrived at Everton in January 2005 from Southampton for a then club record fee of £6m.

Having enjoyed a productive end to the 2005/06 season, his final campaign as an Everton player yielded just two penalty conversions

I think that he will do well there to be honest.

Don;t think that we played the style that suited him.

Need to decent wingers to get down the line and cross the ball for him.

IA question.

If no new striker comes in will this be the first time Everton do not have a number 9?????

dont know if this ounts, but when beattie signed he beame number 8, days later kc left and the number 9 beame vacant for about 6months before being given to dunc for his farewell season, then being left for beats, and aj took the 8shirt.

but to be honest, id leave the number 9 shirt open until someone who can bag a few wanted it.

but, if aj asked for it next season id let him have it, if he scores more than 15 this season. he may not be the "traditional" number 9, but i think hes worth it.

ramble!

dont know if this ounts, but when beattie signed he beame number 8, days later kc left and the number 9 beame vacant for about 6months before being given to dunc for his farewell season, then being left for beats, and aj took the 8shirt.

but to be honest, id leave the number 9 shirt open until someone who can bag a few wanted it.

but, if aj asked for it next season id let him have it, if he scores more than 15 this season. he may not be the "traditional" number 9, but i think hes worth it.

ramble!

A.Js number is 8 I think its like his favourite number or summit, but he mite ask for the 9.

Beattie said: “I believe that United have a great chance of bouncing back into the Premier League. With how things turned out for me at Everton, it’s been a bit of a nightmare really and I was very disappointed.

“But, life goes on and I’m excited by this new challenge. People say that I’m taking a step down but Sheffield United is a massive club. It’s up to me to cross that white line and do my talking on the pitch.”

Good luck to the bloke, pity it didnt work out, HE NEEDS REPLACING THOUGH