IGNORED

What's The Most Depressing Toffees Game You've Been To?

ooberman

Just put this in another thread. Loftus Road in September 1985, coming off the back of three wins in which we'd scored 10 goals (Lineker getting six of them, and we're the defending league champions), I go to watch us destroy the minnows of QPR and we're 3-0 down by half time, which is how it finished :( . What a let-down.

The 4-2 loss to Manure last season

Feel that too Mark...but as an occasion, and for the Alan Ball thing (and for an hour) it was brilliant. So it wasn't depression from start to finish.

Edited by MikeO

Just put this in another thread. Loftus Road in September 1985, coming off the back of three wins in which we'd scored 10 goals (Lineker getting six of them, and we're the defending league champions), I go to watch us destroy the minnows of QPR and we're 3-0 down by half time, which is how it finished :( . What a let-down.

meant to say, this thread was inspired by your post! ;)

Feel that too Mark...but as an occasion, and for the Alan Ball thing (and for an hour) it was brilliant. So it wasn't depression from start to finish.

That's why it was so depressing, I was ontop of the world and then was brought horribly back down to earth with a crash. The first time ever I've walked out of a game before the final whistle (fortunately I missed their fourth goal).

That's why it was so depressing, I was ontop of the world and then was brought horribly back down to earth with a crash. The first time ever I've walked out of a game before the final whistle (fortunately I missed their fourth goal).

Take your point.

Anyone who walked out of the Charlton game after Darren Bent's equalizer (and there were hundreds, though I doubt anyone would admit to it :D ) must have been fairly depressed too....though for different reasons.

Edited by MikeO

The 4-2 loss to Manure last season

Chelsea was a bit link that too, extact one minute, suicidal the next

Try sitting next to the away fans when that happens

Take your point.

Anyone who walked out of the Charlton game after Darren Bent's equalizer (and there were hundreds, though I doubt anyone would admit to it :D ) must have been fairly depressed too....though for different reasons.

:whistle: I didnt exactly leave, but had to go for a wee wee and missed it, Ive missed loads of goals of the years it doesnt bother me as long as we win

Most depressing game, where to start. The Christmas derby year before last. Wimbledon at home in the FA cup in about 89/90 ish when we got beat and the attendace was about 8000. Some games disapear into history, I hate the one where the week before we are brilliant and the next week it seems like every player on the pitch has never played before

Spurs vs Everton, 2000 at White Shite Lane. Everton went two nil up thanks to Jeffers and Nyako. Then a series a defensive errors, poor tactics from Smith, then Hughes coming on to negate our own attack contributed to a very depressing end. Second worst was Manchester City vs Everton, when we got stuffed 4 - 0. Shocking!

Don't want to contradict you Mike but i went to QPR in 84/85 (won 1-0 Sharp) and 85/86 (lost 1-0 Martin Allen if I remember correctly). Could be my failing memory though, maybe the second one was 86/87??.

Anyhoo, most depressing for me was Tranmere in the cup a few years ago when we lost 3-0 at Goodison (or was it 3-1?-there that memory thing again)!

Was looking forward to takin the piss out of the Wirrallers in work for weeks and then that happened....Booo

Don't want to contradict you Mike but i went to QPR in 84/85 (won 1-0 Sharp) and 85/86 (lost 1-0 Martin Allen if I remember correctly). Could be my failing memory though, maybe the second one was 86/87??.

QPR's thirteen year stint in the top flight we only won there twice, was a bad ground for us :( .

Dec 17th 1983 0-2

Dec 8th 1984 0-0

Sept 7th 1985 0-3

Jan 3rd 1987 1-0 (Sharp)

Sept 2nd 1987 0-1

Dec 17th 1988 0-0

Dec 30th 1989 0-1

May 11th 1991 1-1 (Nevin)

Oct 26th 1991 1-3 (Cotee)

Dec 28th 1992 2-4 (Barlowx2 :o )

Apr 16th 1994 1-2 (Cottee)

Mar 18th 1995 3-2 :D (Barlow, og, Hinchcliffe)

Apr 8th 1996 1-3 (Ebbrell)

Take your point.

I missed even the equalizer wen I left it was 1-0 had to be home earlly :D

For me probably v the red shite at Anfield 1991. Was in London at the time and made the trip up expecting a win. We were never in the game and got thumped 3-1. That was the first time I'd been to Anfield and have to say Goodison is way more impressive.

Apart from that, Wolves at Goodison in 1981 (or was it '82). Think they were already relegated & we could only draw 1-1. That was my first Bullens Rd experience and at the tender age of 12 I much preferred the Upper Gwladys St Stand. OK not really depressing I suppose but certainly disappointing (if only on a personal level).

AS for other games SURELY the most depressing one of all would be Oxford, 1986.

(ooh, actually the 1977 FA CUP semi final would come pretty close).

Edited by Maghull70

QPR's thirteen year stint in the top flight we only won there twice, was a bad ground for us :( .

Dec 17th 1983 0-2

Dec 8th 1984 0-0

Sept 7th 1985 0-3

Jan 3rd 1987 1-0 (Sharp)

Sept 2nd 1987 0-1

Dec 17th 1988 0-0

Dec 30th 1989 0-1

May 11th 1991 1-1 (Nevin)

Oct 26th 1991 1-3 (Cotee)

Dec 28th 1992 2-4 (Barlowx2 :o )

Apr 16th 1994 1-2 (Cottee)

Mar 18th 1995 3-2 :D (Barlow, og, Hinchcliffe)

Apr 8th 1996 1-3 (Ebbrell)

So the two games I went to were both 1987?? Wow dementia is kicking in earlier than expected!

I remember the game vs West Ham in 2003/2004 season which was 0-0. It was the most depressing game of football i had ever seen and to make things worse West Ham were in a run of poor form. We should have hammered them everywhere. I remebered at the end of that season thinking we could have done with them 3 points we so easily could have got.

If anything West Ham could have come away with the 3 points that day.

There are so many

Man Utd 05/06 Played so well in the first half and the conceed right on half time Though luckily I missed that little Twat's Goal as i was still queing for a pie

Pompey 05/06 Awful game and decided by an own goal.

West Brom (A) 4-0 Bad Refereeing and worse performance

And then the Nightmare 10 day period of Christmas was Probably my Lowest period as an everton

West Ham 1-2

Bolton 0-4

Villa 0-4

Liverpool 1-3

And of Course villa at home last season.

But the Worst has got to be,

April 2001 That FUCKING McAllister (Clock Read 94:42) Derby. mainly because of the Jubilation when Dunc Ripped off his Shirt and Started on the liverpool fans, and to be Slapped by that.

I recall a , wet thundery ( No cover) day out wif me Daddio in Newport as a weee lad 4 a Cup match, was not a great day & the dire performance of the blues faired no better. Dont know why but that 1 stix out .

1-1

I was at that one Pat, other than a barely rememberable cup semi final replay v West Ham, Newport was my first ever away game, think I was 10.

All I can remember about it is a last minute equaliser (Sheedy I think), and loads of singing and banging on stationary cars held up by the crowd on the way out.

Quite a good day as far as I recall and I think we won the replay 4 - 0!

I've seen so many over the years but one of the most recent was the boxing day game against Middlesboro Last season, it was as if both teams made a pact to share the points before the game, i never jumped out of my seat once in the whole game, except when the final whistle went. Couldnt get away quick enough. It was the worst, dullest, most uninspiring game i have ever sat through, 380 mile round trip to see a 0-0 with no exciting bits or near misses to talk about on the way home. :angry: