IGNORED

Welcome Yakubu

Louis

Everton today completed the signing of Yakubu for a Club record fee after successfully appealing for a work permit for the Nigerian striker.

The 24-year-old centre-forward has penned a five year deal for the Blues a week after Everton agreed an £11.25m deal with Middlesbrough.

The completion of the deal was delayed because an initial application for a work permit was rejected as Yakubu has not figured in the required 75 per cent of Nigeria's internationals in the last two years.

However, Yakubu was allocated a work permit following an appeal hearing in Sheffield today, with Everton successfully arguing that the player's credentials to ply his trade in the Barclays Premier League have been made clear in the last four years.

Having completed his move to Goodison, Yakubu becomes the Club's record-signing, surpassing the £8.6m paid to Crystal Palace for Andrew Johnson last year.

Yakubu, Everton's fourth major signing of the summer, is delighted to become an Everton player. He told evertonTV exclusively: "I am happy to be here. It is a great feeling to come over and meet a lot of good players and see the spirit that they have.

"I have always said that I want to play for a club that plays in Europe and I think they have the ambition to move forward and they want to finish in the first four and the Champions League and Uefa Cup and for me that is my dream.

"I know there is a long way to go and I want to be part of that - to be successful and to have that dream.

"I chose to go to Middlesbrough because they were in Europe. At the moment they are not doing it. I think I made the right decision to come to this place. It is a massive club and it is a great feeling. There are great players and you want to play for a big club."

Yakubu boasts an impressive goalscoring record, with only Thierry Henry having netted more Premier League goals in the last four years.

He began his career in England with Portsmouth in January, 2003. He netted 36 times in 81 Premier League appearances for Pompey before switching to The Riverside in a £7.5m deal in the summer of 2005.

He continued his fine scoring record there, grabbing 35 goals in 103 outings for the Teesiders in all competitions.

Having completed his transfer to Goodison, Yakubu could make his début for the Blues in Saturday's Premier League fixture with Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fair point but we will have no trouble getting our money back so is there anything to worry about?

He'll get goals & if he goes we will most likely make a profit, win win realy we are starting to move towards the top and that means starting to deal with a different calibre of player. You dont win things with hard working solid profesionals you win things with temperamental talant!!

already said it but fuck me I cannot wait to see the yak and AJ up front for us!!!!!! :D :D :D

+ does he still play for Nigeria cos we used the he dropped out of playing for Nigeria card at his appeal!?!???

Yes, he does. The Super Eagles aren't coached by the man he fell out with any more; Berti Vogts is running the team now, and Yakubu has played in four of their six matches this year. He even captained the team in their May game against Kenya.

I am glad we have him in the team -

He is a bit lazy and doesn't chase balls all over the place, but not really what his game is all about. AJ does the running around for us upfront. I think they could make a very good partnership. he is now slouch and can shift when he needs to, is strong and can score. Could be a very good partnership.

I also think Victor will learn a great deal from him as I see them as very similar players.

I would hope a player who will be in double figures goalwise come the end of the season.

i belive that if we are in europe he will try very hard and score like he did for middlesborough but as soon as they werent in europe he just seemed to give up.

I cant wait to see him.

and to think only yesturday i got the new top with arteta on the back if i would have known we would have got yak i would have got him lol

i belive that if we are in europe he will try very hard and score like he did for middlesborough but as soon as they werent in europe he just seemed to give up.

I cant wait to see him.

and to think only yesturday i got the new top with arteta on the back if i would have known we would have got yak i would have got him lol

It's not like todays signing of Yak has come out of the blue - ;)

finally means i can get him on the back of my shirt!!!

well happy. i'm jus thinking 'GOALS GOALS GOALS!!!'

why don't we do press conferences anymore?

i've jus seen Zat Knights at villa. come on were bigger than them!

like i've said before, he's young maybe the hard working ethic is something moyes can add to his game! arteta never use to track back and that and now he does he's a more complete player!!! (plus in my eyes world class and would in any other prem team!)

Well pointed out Romey. I have said in a previous thread that one of the most positive aspects of our current team is the willingness and ability to play the ball on the deck. If we are to progress in Europe, we need to dismantle continental defenses with clinical passing and movement. The up and under is a sign of desparacy and a lack of imagination. I don't think we will see a repeat of the Unsy lob and hope, as it does not become our current team.

I hope the Yak is sincere as he has just joined a club with more pride than you can shake a stick at. I think he will become an instant legend now that he is here, it's just up to him now to gel with the rest and perform. We will now get to see the best from AJ also. Will be interesting to see who comes into midfield now, SSP have said Appiah is a target. Strong player, lets hope this is serious.

already said it but fuck me I cannot wait to see the yak and AJ up front for us!!!!!! :D :D :D

+ does he still play for Nigeria cos we used the he dropped out of playing for Nigeria card at his appeal!?!???

it seems to be a bit of an urban myth this.. he had a fall out of with the international manager a while ago.. but he was sacked or he left. Yakubu has played in all 5 of the latest 5 Nigerian games.

If we are to progress in Europe, we need to dismantle continental defenses with clinical passing and movement. The up and under is a sign of desparacy and a lack of imagination. I don't think we will see a repeat of the Unsy lob and hope, as it does not become our current team.

Don't forget Milan did an excellent job in talking Liverpool out of playing Crouch in the

Champons league final........They didn't want Crouch to play,so they took the piss out

of Liverpools long ball game......Rafa left him on the bench,and even against a poor

Milan side they didn't look threatening untill Crouch came on!

The long ball against some of these european teams will work.....trying to pick through

their better midfield wont always work!It's an option!......don't be frightend to use it.

Liverpool the other night threw plenty Up towards Crouch.....and it works.

Yakubu!.......likes to play for teams in Europe!!......WELL,Score loads of goals,as that

seems to be the reason for buying you........Then we will keep finishing top 6..........

...It what's called a win win situation.....IT'S UP TO YOU .

Trying to picture an Arteta corner.....Yakubu,Cahill,Lescott and Yobo,surely a good route

for a goal or ten!

of course he expects to be in Europe, he's the second highest scoring premiership player in the last 4 years, he wants to be successful, just like every player who joins Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and the Red Shites. they want trophies, top class players to join them and european football.

if i was an 11 million pound football i wouldn't expect anything less than competitng at the top in all competitions.