IGNORED

Luton

Romey 1878

QPR did, I dont know about Luton.

Although they are not a thing of the past... England squad recently trained on a Altrincham school plastic pitch because Russia play on a plastic pitch as the climate over there is no good for growing grass and Mclaren wanted the players to get used to it.

QPR were the first (dreadful thing), then Luton, Oldham and Preston (not much better). We couldn't play on any of them....but then neither could anyone other than QPR, Luton, Oldham and Preston :rolleyes: . Can't believe Russia have got permission to play on one in the Euro qualifier against England, although I'm sure the trechnology's moved on a lot.

QPR were the first (dreadful thing), then Luton, Oldham and Preston (not much better). We couldn't play on any of them....but then neither could anyone other than QPR, Luton, Oldham and Preston :rolleyes: . Can't believe Russia have got permission to play on one in the Euro qualifier against England, although I'm sure the trechnology's moved on a lot.

Technology is far, far better. Incomparably better. The first artificial turfs were invented in the 60's, were harder and more dangerous surfaces than grass, and were akin to playing indoors on the carpet - or on concrete when it got really cold. Those were the type of turf that those few teams like Luton installed, and that many of the US stadiums built in that era had up until the mid-90's.

The current generation of artificial turfs are much more grass-like. The materials used are less abrasive, the cushioning is a million times better, and they're generally regarded as being just as safe to play on as grass injury-wise and (opposite of the old stuff) even safer than grass in the cold, although even its most ardent defenders still admit that it takes the knees and ankles longer to recover after running around on turf for 90 minutes. They've also been developing artificial turfs now that are designed especially with soccer in mind, so that you won't get the "rubber ball" effect created by the older turf. I think that Borussia Monchengladbach (or however you spell it) in Germany has artificial turf installed at their new stadium, and some of the major clubs including Bayern Munich and Real Madrid now use it at their training facilities.

FIFA, UEFA, and the FA had all banned any kind of artificial surfaces in their competitions, but they've gotten good enough now that UEFA as of 2005 decided to allow teams in their competitions to use them, provided the surface met UEFA's standards for approval (which Russia's obviously does). And the FA - though they still don't allow turf in any official games - have gone back and developed guidelines for building approved artificial surfaces in England - which anyone who is at all interested can read about at http://www.thefa.com/GrassrootsNew/Facilit...ches_Guidelines

Is grass still preferable? Almost always, provided the climate and sunlight can support a quality grass surface. But the point is that today's turfs are not your father's "plastic grass," and comparing the turf that Luton played on to the turfs we're talking about now is like comparing a Formula 1 car of 1977 to an F1 car of 2007.

Ball speed & Bounce factor were as I recall the major complaints about the old Astro Turf Pitches. Definitve disadvantage to visitng teams, was im sure the jist that forced these clubs via the football League to RIP em up as ya may say.

We should beat Luton. ( Took care of them last season ok )

the cushioning is a million times better, and they're generally regarded as being just as safe to play on as grass

I've told you a million times, Do Not Exaggerate!!

Remember the how high the ball used to bounce on them artifical pitches, laughable.

Quite pleased with the draw. I'm sure its not going to be easy but we should do away with them. I'm sure they hate us coz we've knocked 'em out of a few things. Most notably in the '85 FA CUP semi final :D

Luton v Everton

Portsmouth v Blackburn

Chelsea v Leicester

Sheffield United v Arsenal

Tottenham v Blackpool

Bolton v Manchester City

Coventry v West Ham

Liverpool v Cardiff

I don't know about winning it just just yet. as the draw has been kind to most Prem clubs. Portsmouth, Blackburn looks about the toughest one to call - My guess is could well be all 8 QF places taken up by decent 'top 10 ' Prem clubs.

You are pretty much going to have three vevy tough games to win the cup after this round, and thats if we get past Luton.