IGNORED

4-5-1 And Sexy Girls

Zed

It always supprises me when people consider it a negative tactic for us to play 4-5-1

When man u or Chelski play this way is it negative

It showed on thurday that with the right players its a system that suits us, having cahill back and when Gravison is fit will suit that system

Dont get me wrong, we have (when fit) 4 good strikers and we must use them

4-5-1 may be our system for europe, it certainly worked on thursday

It always supprises me when people consider it a negative tactic for us to play 4-5-1

It showed on thurday that with the right players its a system that suits us, having cahill back and when Gravison is fit will suit that system

What about the sexy girls? I've been lured here under false pretences, it's an outrage!

So disappointed I'm not even gonna bother replying!

p.s. Was disappointed when I saw 4-5-1 but it worked so happy for it to continue - success over entertainment until we have the capability of doing both.

Edited by sheedysheedysheedy

i think the difference with our 4-5-1 on Thursday was that we had Cahill and Osman in the middle who are both very attacking midfield players who will back up the striker.

I don't think mcfadden is a player suited to being up there by himself, Anichebe I think would be as he's strong enough to take people on and also to hold the ball up.

I think when we did well with a 4-5-1 previously it was because Cahill was always there backing up the lone striker, hopefully now he's back we'll have that option again as well as still trying to improve our game with a 4-4-2.

That is completely different to the 451 Moyes chooses to play. It's not even comparable.

They're both 4-5-1 so they're comparable. It wasn't a point of player, tactic or ability comparison anyway I was just making the point that 4-5-1 is not neccessarily negative.

Our second goal on Thursday was every bit as good as the ManU and Chelsea stuff they were creaming their pants over on MOTD last night. If that's the result of negativity then I'm all for it!

They're both 4-5-1 so they're comparable. It wasn't a point of player, tactic or ability comparison anyway I was just making the point that 4-5-1 is not neccessarily negative.

Our second goal on Thursday was every bit as good as the ManU and Chelsea stuff they were creaming their pants over on MOTD last night. If that's the result of negativity then I'm all for it!

Chelsea's formation is more 433 than 451.

You're right 451 isn't always negative but it shouldn't be our main formation, not with the amount of strikers we have. Plus with Moyes it usually is a negative formation, he uses it to stifle the opposition not rip them apart a la Chelsea yesterday.

• 4 weeks later...

Ye, spot on Zed

I agree with both of you ;) .

well I think everyone knows where I stand on the 451 having banged on about it since the beginning of the season, I'm just glad Moyes has gone back to it and proven all the doubters wrong. Glad to read the comparison in the Daily Mail match report of our 451 with that of England on Weds, they were gushing in their praise of our system and how fantastically we play it. The bottom line is with a fully fit squad playing a 451 system we are in the top 5 teams in the league and as long as we don't get too stretched by the cups etc I think we can push the top 4 all the way, Moyes has built a fantastic team at a fantastic price. Ryan Babel cost about 12-15million or something, Arteta cost about 2.5m - says it all. Even Yakubu is now looking a brilliant signing, even I didn't see him being suitable for a 451, yet he is playing superb. Let's keep it going and turn over Portsmouth, then we really can start thinking big. I'd give Gravesen, Vaughan, Anichebe, Stubbs etc a run out in midweek and keep everyone fresh for next weekend.

Love the Daily Mail report (thanks Carl), quote of the week for me...

Everton had saved the best goal of all for last. Osman's surging, jinking solo run was reminiscent of Paul Gascoigne in his prime and the magnificent seven will live in the memory for a good while. Perhaps Moyes can send Steve McClaren a video of this perfection. It's never too late to learn, after all.

I'd (I've said it before) substitute Trevor Steven for Paul Gasgoigne but love it anyway :D .

Edited by MikeO

With the forwards we have 4-4-2 should be our long-term formation, but 4-5-1 is doing the business right now.

I don't really mind what formation we play as long as we win and win well. 442 can only become a viable formation if a brilliant CM is bought, we have a good enough team to play 442 now and win a lot of matches, but I think we'd only finish top 10, in a 451 and fully fit team I think we can push the top 4 all the way, that's the difference. I was very pleased to read this from Moyes in today's Echo:

We’ve found a style of play which suits us, makes us attacking and gives us options. But more importantly it fits the players we’ve got and suits their abilities.

it's what I've been saying all along, it doesn't matter what formation you personally prefer, you have to pick the formation that suits the players you have on your books. The 451 is a masterstroke on Moyes part, I mean we got into the top 4 with Marcus Bent up front on his own and a far inferior team to that which we now posess. We really can go onto big things this season, I definitely a fancy a very healthy league position and some silverware, Everton are coming back and I think a lot of other teams in the premiership definitely do NOT want to play Everton. A special word for Lee Carsley, it may be Pienaar, Cahill, Arteta, Osman, Yak getting all the headlines but Carsley has once again demonstrated his worth as the DM in 5 man midfield, I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are few better in the premier league as an out and out defensive midfielder. I literally cannot believe we can now have Vaughan, Baines, Gravesen and McFadden in the stands and still win 7-1 (and should have been more).

oh and didn't realise we had no match midweek! I assumed we were playing in Europe :P