IGNORED

Best Striker?

jofanon

Let's be realistic, a target man who can hold the ball up is not the be all and end all of success. Do Barcelona have an Anichebe. Drogba (how you can compare them is beyond me) target man? Manure? etc etc. They manage just fine.

On another note, being able to hold the ball up does not make anyone the best striker at a club. I'd consider someone who can put the ball in the net a better striker than someone who'll score not very many but hold the ball up.

Your quite right Barca/ Manu dont have that type of player but they normaly tend to pass the ball thro midfield and keep the ball to relieve pressure not thump it long as we do.Didn't for a minute compare Vic to Drogba just pointed out that strenghth holding the ball up is important in todays game.And as for your last point I agree the ball in the net is main aim and I would say Vics goals per minutes on the park ratio this season is pretty good.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to turn into an Anichebe debate!......His type of style ie big front man back to goal,

target man, able to turn defenders AND score goals, takes a hell of a lot longer to perfect than the type of game Vaughan and Owen play ie speed of a defenders shoulder and good finishing!

If he improves at his present rate and there's no guarantee he will....then he could be a hell of a player.Hard to handle,create goals for others, capable of surging runs and scoring goals!!

Could be the perfect foil to Vaughan.Those two could give defenders nightmeres in a couple of years.

Give me an Vaughan/Owen/AJ type player every day of the week over someone like Anichebe. Be a hell of a player? I very much doubt it. You're right that his style of play does take longer to perfect but how can a 19 year old lad be knackered after 10mins of football? His fitness levels are absolutely atrocious for someone of his age. Let's face it he's never going to be above Vaughan, Cahill, AJ in the pecking order. He's hot a chance of being ahead of Yak if he doesn't improve and Faddy if he doesnt become more consistent. Also in the next few years Jutkiewiscz and Baxter should come through who already looks better than him. Anichebe is no better than Emile Heskey.

Your quite right Barca/ Manu dont have that type of player but they normaly tend to pass the ball thro midfield and keep the ball to relieve pressure not thump it long as we do.Didn't for a minute compare Vic to Drogba just pointed out that strenghth holding the ball up is important in todays game.And as for your last point I agree the ball in the net is main aim and I would say Vics goals per minutes on the park ratio this season is pretty good.

Important yes, but just because he's the only one of his type at this club doesnt mean he's our best striker. All of our other strikers are streets ahead of him right now in terms of all round ability, I wouldn't play him ahead of anyone.

Anichebe + Vaughan will lead the line for us in a few years together I rekon, if moyes can keep them here and keep them happy here anyway, I cant see moyes keeping all 5 strikers happy tbh, because all of them are going to want first team, we even have Jukiewics + Baxter coming through aswell so strikers wont need to be on the shopping list!

at the moment we need to really bag are chances because we can't expect hundreds of chances to score, that why Yakubu up front is our best option at the moment, we no if he gets a chance it will go in thats why id put him before Faddy + Vic. When A.J + Vaughan are back and we have 5 strikers avaliable were going to have to go back to 442 or im sure a few will want to leave.

Edited by Blue4Ever

Give me an Vaughan/Owen/AJ type player every day of the week over someone like Anichebe. Be a hell of a player? I very much doubt it. You're right that his style of play does take longer to perfect but how can a 19 year old lad be knackered after 10mins of football? His fitness levels are absolutely atrocious for someone of his age. Let's face it he's never going to be above Vaughan, Cahill, AJ in the pecking order. He's hot a chance of being ahead of Yak if he doesn't improve and Faddy if he doesnt become more consistent. Also in the next few years Jutkiewiscz and Baxter should come through who already looks better than him. Anichebe is no better than Emile Heskey.

Important yes, but just because he's the only one of his type at this club doesnt mean he's our best striker. All of our other strikers are streets ahead of him right now in terms of all round ability, I wouldn't play him ahead of anyone.

If you rate him only as good as Heskey now and he's still not 20 that will do me.Never above AJ Tim and Vaughn? with their fitness records only time will tell. I must admit like you I do prefer to watch that type of player,but they are all like highly bred racehorses and spend more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.So for me until Moyse has a head transplant and stops Neville Stubbs and Hibbo hoofing it every chance they get Vics my first choice.

Edited by blueinvalencia

If you rate him only as good as Heskey now and he's still not 20 that will do me.Never above AJ Tim and Vaughn? with their fitness records only time will tell. I must admit like you I do prefer to watch that type of player,but they are all like highly bred racehorses and spend more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.So for me until Moyse has a head transplant and stops Neville Stubbs and Hibbo hoofing it every chance they get Vics my first choice.

I can see were your coming from about the long ball mate, we probabaly are best playing vic if there all going to do that, lately with longballers out the team, we havent done it as much, and we have played some nice football. IMO Vic always looks best coming off the bench, dont no what anyone else thinks? I did doubt Victor about ever being as good as vaughan but if he gets a bit fitter then im sure he could, he's proved me wrong lately and is in great form, Moyes should get him + Yakubu on a heavy training schedule to get there fitness up a bit. We have 2 of the brightest striking prospects in Vic + Vaughan who are good mates and know eachothers game well, I just hope moyes keeps hold of them.

Steve........ ""now im trouble, i seem to have wet my pants laughing at the thought of vic being our best striker!""

Yeah Steve I bet you wet your pants for a different reason when you heard that we were signing Beattie a couple of seasons ago same now with Yakubu.

Whatever he's done before means sweet Fook all, its what he's done since he's been here that concerns me. And as someone as already said, for the amount of time spent on the pitch Anichebe's goal ratio stands up to anyones at the club.

I think i'm in agreement with Blue 250, i get the impression that some peeps dont want Victor to make it, Wonder Why that is. ???

agree with you there i also get that feeling! dont know why though cos for me he is a real handful when he plays! His first touch and fitness arent the best i know but he's only 19 so he has years to improve! The way i see it most 19 year old are playing in the reserves so he's done well to break through already so come on guys lets not doubt the kid we have a really good young player here, lets get behind him!

I can see were your coming from about the long ball mate, we probabaly are best playing vic if there all going to do that, lately with longballers out the team, we havent done it as much, and we have played some nice football. IMO Vic always looks best coming off the bench, dont no what anyone else thinks? I did doubt Victor about ever being as good as vaughan but if he gets a bit fitter then im sure he could, he's proved me wrong lately and is in great form, Moyes should get him + Yakubu on a heavy training schedule to get there fitness up a bit. We have 2 of the brightest striking prospects in Vic + Vaughan who are good mates and know eachothers game well, I just hope moyes keeps hold of them.

I couldn't agree more.

I really wanna see Vic and Vaughan progress to become two great strikers and can't fault them as youngsters atm. However, Yakubu has scored more Prem goals than Vic right now and so he should be picked, as well as having the right mentality to play more games... whereas Vic is great coming off the bench right now.

Also, we do play better football with Yak on the pitch, regardless of whether he has a partner or not. Let's continue that and stop loosing games now that we can keep the bloody ball and attack more!

anichebe isn't a good target man...at all. vaughan isn't lightweight he's fairly strogn and puts himself about . anichebe isn't the best striker

Anichebe Is a good Target man, he has alot of muscle behind him and isn't going to get shrugged off the ball easily i.e. his goal Vs Larissa, Pure strength got him that goal! But Vaughan Ain't no lightweight, his a big lad and has the speed and finishing Abilities over Vic.

But CraccerC who are you to Judge, by the looks of things you think Nugent is good!

They're all different, "best" striker is impossible to answer imo. If you look at the highest level (international) and who's scored our most important goals recently (against Charlton and Metalist) it's McFadden no question but does that make him the best? He certainly wouldn't be the most expensive on the open market, that'd be Yak or AJ, probably not much between them. But Vaughan or (less likely imo) Anichebe in two/three years...who knows?

If you were to ask who would score most goals in a season given thirty games of fitness I'd say a toss-up between Yak,AJ and Vaughan...and maybe McFadden, if the team was set up to suit him.

In conclusion, I haven't got a clue. That's why DM is paid wads of cash to be the manager and I'm not :( .

Anichebe Is a good Target man, he has alot of muscle behind him and isn't going to get shrugged off the ball easily i.e. his goal Vs Larissa, Pure strength got him that goal! But Vaughan Ain't no lightweight, his a big lad and has the speed and finishing Abilities over Vic.

But CraccerC who are you to Judge, by the looks of things you think Nugent is good!

who am i to judge? i'm a fan...who are you judge....just because you judge someone in a positive light gives you more right than me...i think not

i stand by what i say anichebe isn't a good target man...he's strong and can be quick but he is not everton's idea of a target man ... he's got a head and the first touch of a bouncy castle

and for the record..unlike most of you, i didn't want nugent i thought he was shit...so far i've been proved right...again.

i find it amusing when someone asks who i am to judge when we're constantly judging players as football fans, sort of a hypocritcal word don't you think?

He's going by your avatar Craccer mate, 'tis a bit confusing that you've got a pic of him there when you rate him so lowly :) .

Also...on Anichebe, is it just me that thinks he was lucky with the goal against Larissa. Ratty on the comentary was full of how clever he was to nudge the defender but my immediate impression was that he was outpaced and just got lucky with the way the ball fell. Still think that. Having said that a lucky striker is no bad thing to have on the bench.

He's going by your avatar Craccer mate, 'tis a bit confusing that you've got a pic of him there when you rate him so lowly :) .

Also...on Anichebe, is it just me that thinks he was lucky with the goal against Larissa. Ratty on the comentary was full of how clever he was to nudge the defender but my immediate impression was that he was outpaced and just got lucky with the way the ball fell. Still think that. Having said that a lucky striker is no bad thing to have on the bench.

i know he was, i was referring to his positive comments not being any different to my negative ones in terms of judgment.

been meaning to change my avatar actually... i shall look into it

Edited by CraccerC

I really wanna see Vic and Vaughan progress to become two great strikers and can't fault them as youngsters atm. However, Yakubu has scored more Prem goals than Vic right now and so he should be picked, as well as having the right mentality to play more games... whereas Vic is great coming off the bench right now.

Also, we do play better football with Yak on the pitch, regardless of whether he has a partner or not. Let's continue that and stop loosing games now that we can keep the bloody ball and attack more!

Yer I agree, imo faddy should just be sold and we should get a decent amount for him 2 put towards midfielders, he's far to inconsistent and there isnt much to his game. we never thought we would be in this situation but we have to many strikers :o that way moyes could keep everyone happy and we would have 4 totally differant types of strikers.

Yaks got to be played 5 games on the run with decent service and people will soon start to realise why he got 19 goals etc 5 years on the run, for a shite team aswell!

Edited by Blue4Ever

The problem was in the past that we had no one like Arteta and Pienarr to make them vital passes to Bent and Beattie (well halfway through Beatties time at Everton Arteta wasnt on form like last season) but now we have and I expect goals from Yakubu and co, but going to the main point now I think our best striker Yakubu on goals (shud be more to come) and Johnson on work rate. I think Vaughn and Vic will be better in the future tho. Otherwise I would have Lescott up front 4 us! :D

The problem was in the past that we had no one like Arteta and Pienarr to make them vital passes to Bent and Beattie (well halfway through Beatties time at Everton Arteta wasnt on form like last season) but now we have and I expect goals from Yakubu and co, but going to the main point now I think our best striker Yakubu on goals (shud be more to come) and Johnson on work rate. I think Vaughn and Vic will be better in the future tho. Otherwise I would have Lescott up front 4 us! :D

Dont no why so many people are are saying this, are you really being honest haha..

anichebe isn't a good target man...at all. vaughan isn't lightweight he's fairly strogn and puts himself about . anichebe isn't the best striker

Anichebe isn't a good target man? Can you name one on the books who's better?

Vaughn isn't lightweight he's fairly strong and puts himself about.True but sadly for him his aggresive style normally lands him on the treatment table.Just look at his fitness record over the last few seasons.

Vic has scored 2 goals this season same as Yak.1 more than Aj 2 more than Vaughny.If you count pace, ability to find the net,strength and a good fitness record for me he is the most effective at the club now and maybe in 2 or 3 years he may be mentioned along with Drogba

Vaughn isn't lightweight he's fairly strong and puts himself about.True but sadly for him his aggresive style normally lands him on the treatment table.Just look at his fitness record over the last few seasons.

Vic has scored 2 goals this season same as Yak.1 more than Aj 2 more than Vaughny.If you count pace, ability to find the net,strength and a good fitness record for me he is the most effective at the club now and maybe in 2 or 3 years he may be mentioned along with Drogba

:huh: he's nakerd after 10 minutes and he doesnt really close no1 down either.

Anyone who thinks he can hold the ball up doesnt no fuck all, even though his strengh makes him look like a target man he really isnt.

ffs will people stop posting garbage...whether there's a better one on the books is irrelevant he's still not good at it.

vaughan is better imo, anichebe's touch is below parr, and he can't chest or head a ball

Edited by CraccerC

ffs will people stop posting garbage...whether there's a better one on the books is irrelevant he's still not good at it.

vaughan is better imo, anichebe's touch is below parr, and he can't chest or head a ball

You could also Paint Yakubu with the same brush from what i've seen of him. :)

And peeps are entitled to voice their opinions Mike wether it be garbage or not.

You could also Paint Yakubu with the same brush from what i've seen of him.

Yet he has still managed to score bucket loads of goals for Pompey and 'Boro. If we stop hitting it long ball then his heading ability will not matter, whilst his touch with chest or otherwise is clearly better than he has shown. He's already proven those things in this country and once he is in a settled team, settled into the club properly, and the team is settled in its fashion of playing then he'll score loads for us.

You could also Paint Yakubu with the same brush from what i've seen of him. :)

And peeps are entitled to voice their opinions Mike wether it be garbage or not.

i've got no problem with opinions, i've not had a go at anyones opinion mate, i'm not the one asking fucking stupid questions 'like whos better then'....so it's not me disregarding anyones views

and yakubu is the same, ball to feet he's ok, but generally aerially he is poor