IGNORED

Cahill V Yakubu......

Blue 250

OK Then! Off the back of our victory at Luton, with Cahill scoring and Yakubu left on the bench a question!

It's mentioned on here quite a bit that we seem to be better at playing a 4 5 1 formation.Not sure myself that's the total answer for success....BUT!

What if Cahill who seems at his best in that formation starts really hitting form, scoring goals causing mayhem etc.....and AJ or Vaughan play the lone striker to perfection.Result we start playing better and winning more games.We seem to have quite a few forwards at the moment some of them can do the single man bit others perhaps not.Certainly Yakubu I doubt would relish the extra work asked of him.............hang in there the questions coming!

If we start going great guns with 4 5 1 and in January Portsmouth offered big money for Yakubu would we be stupid not to take it......I'm not saying we should!.....but it would be tempting surely.Better with Cahill.....AJ or Vaughan and money for one really good player or a couple of decent ones!

Do you think Moyes will leave Cahill out to play two up front....so Yakubu gets a game or can he get Cahill to adjust his game to fit two up front?

Just wondered what people thought!

don't talk shite!!!

no way will vaughan be starting a premiership match this weekend!

I don't see him starting a Premiership match in November let alone this weekend.

Yakubu will be playing and so will Cahill.

Excuse me for giving my opinion, I say Vaughan and Cahill, you say Yak and Cahill, why is my opinion shite and yours isnt.

He played half an hour last night, and Yak was left on the Bench that's was good enough for me.

You may be right, i may be wrong but it doesnt make it shite, pull your horns in mate.

Moyes will play what gets results and 442 hasn't worked enough. With cahill back we have won 3 in 3 all be it in separate competitions. I think withy cahill fit we have to stick to 451 and given a choice with everyone fit I would have to go for AJ up front. I like all our stikers and they all give us something different and it's a shame we can't play 442 but cahill is our best player and 451 get's the best out of him. As much as I rate him I think faddy is never goign to work in a team like everton and he should be sold.

Its not beyond the bounds of reasoning Steve, last night we played with three different strikers ... Annichebe, McFadden and Vaughan, with the tie going into extra time Vaughan spent as much time on the pitch than any of them, and Yakubu was left on the bench.

Now that is either a big wake up call for Yakubu, or maybe Moyes fancies any of them ahead of The Yak, but who can tell what formation Moyes will come up with next, Cos i dont think he knows himself.

4-5-1 Is at present our best formation, and i would put Johnson, Vaughan, or Anichebe ahead of Yakubu as a lone striker.

Yes i think Moyses will be careful but its obvious he wants Vaughan back as soon as poss, his fitness shouldnt be a problem cos after all it was a shoulder problem, and that doesnt stop running, kicking, stamina, or anything else as regards to keeping fit.

I'm not convinced that we have seen the last of the 4-4-2 from Moyes. With our injuries etc, he hasn't been able to try his 1st choice selection with them all playing. I think we may see the following in the near future:

---------HOWARD----------------

NEVILLE--YOBO---LESCOTT--BAINES

ARTETA-----GRAVESON-----PIENAAR

-------------------CAHILL---------------

------------AJ---------YAKUBU------------

That would be my take on our possible 4-4-2, more of a 4-3-1-2 with Timmy playing a free role behind the strikers. With Moyes favourites it would probably be:

-------HOWARD----------

HIBBERT--YOBO---STUBBS--LESCOTT

ARTETA-------NEVILLE----------OSMAN

-----------------------CAHILL-------------

--------AJ-------YAKUBU--------

Personally I think this could be quite effective and may actually yield some goal from Yakubu and make him worth buying in the first place. I am absolutely positive that Moyes has not played Yakubu in a team that he envisaged when he bought him and knows that he is not right for the selections he has had forced on him. Will put money on Yakubu being 1st choice for some time yet.

I don't think we will start with Vaughn at the weekend. Think its too soon to start him. But its all opinion isn't it. I think, and would like to see, him make an appearance this weekend and then start next weekend (all depending on how he does of course) But i definatly want Yak to start this weekend, especially after scoring and helping setup one last weekend, think he's gonna need to build up some momentum (insert your own yak running joke here if you want)

one thing about this thread, i dont think we should be looking at cahill vs yak, more like cahill and yak for me, and aj and vaughan and vic and arteta and pienaar and osman........ and be happy that for the first time in a long time our manager has a selection head ache

If we play AJ up front by himself then he'll be a virtual lone winger, and if we play Vaughan by himself it'll get hit long to him. At least, that's how the team has played when either have been by themselves and even with each other in a partnership.

Agree, both of them should play, we won derby with them both its unfair to take the yak out if he's scoring thats what we bought him for and he seems to be doing it when given the chance.

Apparently I am in the minority concerning Yak's play. I think considering how often we just hoof it up the field (a different playstyle from many teams) that he is adjusting pretty well. With Cahill, Arteta, Osman and Pienaar on the pitch I don't think I'd rate any striker above Yakubu.

For our more defensive games, I'd prefer AJ and Vaughan up top together. The home Arsenal game last season really sold me on how good they can be together.

Vic tires out too easily for me, I do like how quickly he adjusts to the game off the bench though.

When I look at McFadden, I just think Yak can do almost everything better. I wouldn't be surprised if we try to cash in on him sometime in January.

Apparently I am in the minority concerning Yak's play. I think considering how often we just hoof it up the field (a different playstyle from many teams) that he is adjusting pretty well. With Cahill, Arteta, Osman and Pienaar on the pitch I don't think I'd rate any striker above Yakubu.

For our more defensive games, I'd prefer AJ and Vaughan up top together. The home Arsenal game last season really sold me on how good they can be together.

Vic tires out too easily for me, I do like how quickly he adjusts to the game off the bench though.

When I look at McFadden, I just think Yak can do almost everything better. I wouldn't be surprised if we try to cash in on him sometime in January.

if your talkin about faddy there and not yak then yer I wouldnt be to sorry to let him go.

if your talkin about faddy there and not yak then yer I wouldnt be to sorry to let him go.

Yeah i agree, just been checking Mcfads stats. Would you believe in over 100 appearances he has only scored 10 goals for us. :o

James McFADDEN

Games played 51

Games as a sub 54

Goals scored 10

How long has he been here now, is it 4 years. ??? not going to get any better is he.

Yeah i agree, just been checking Mcfads stats. Would you believe in over 100 appearances he has only scored 10 goals for us. :o

James McFADDEN

Games played 51

Games as a sub 54

Goals scored 10

How long has he been here now, is it 4 years. ??? not going to get any better is he.

Yer, its not only that he's inconsistent he isnt a very complete player either, imo he's alot more botherd about the Scotland team that ours.

Yeah, he's had a lot of faith put in him and come out with little end product. Based on his form for Scotland, he then started to look good for us, but I think he still has been inconsistent and Timmy still looks miles better than him and he's been injured so much for ages!

I like faddy and this season he has started ok but he is 25 and since signing he has never been able to do it consistently. I actually think a move abroad to somwheer like france/ spain where they get more space would be the making of him. I also think he has been a good servant to the club and I think staying with us would hold him back. Add to that we could probably get 3-5 mil for him and I would be happy that.

Excuse me for giving my opinion, I say Vaughan and Cahill, you say Yak and Cahill, why is my opinion shite and yours isnt.

He played half an hour last night, and Yak was left on the Bench that's was good enough for me.

You may be right, i may be wrong but it doesnt make it shite, pull your horns in mate.

I'm sorry Licker but it's not all about opinions when yours is so obviously wrong! AS IF Vaughan will start on Sat, he's hardly kicked a ball in months and it'd be a bit much asking him to start when he's only played 50 mins of football. Yakubu was obviously rested to keep fresh for tomorrow, I mean he scored one and created one last weekend so I hardly think he was dropped! VAUGHAN WILL NOT START TOMORROW UNLESS EVERY OTHER FIRST TEAM STRIKER IS INJURED!

As for 451/442, I've been saying it for months - it should be 451 in most games unless we're playing poor opposition who we can get away with playing a 442 against. Virtually every one of our players, certainly defenders and midfielders seem to relish the 451 and it frees up all our creative players, some strikers may be unhappy sitting on the bench but until Moyes can buy a truly classy CM then it's tough luck on them. Yakubu deserves a chance but in the long run Vaughan or AJ look the best suited to a 451. Someone on here said that AJ will end up a winger in a 451, don't you remember the beginning of last season? AJ started on his own with Cahill behind and both of them scored about 7 goals in the opening 10 matches, AJ was a lot more effective in a 451 both here and at Palace. Moyes tactics have often been questioned and some of his team selections, but the one unqualified success (except when Beattie played) of his Everton managerial career is his 451 formation, NO ONE will fancy playing Everton if we have a fully fit 451 one out, we could easy do Chelsea over in a couple of weeks and go a long way in the cups this year. COYB! :)

wouldn't surprise me if Mc goes but he does give us options, certainly off the bench and I think he could play the Cahill role behind a lone striker. I think Anichebe needs to buck up his energy levels and workrate otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if he's loaned out or something as he looks the weakest of our striking options to me. The only thing that saves him and may keep him in Moyes plans is his physical attributes, IF he could just take a leaf out of Vaughan's book of effort then Anichebe has all the attributes to be a younger/better Emile Heskey, unfortunately he looks a little lazy and inconsistent. Vaughan/AJ/Yak with Cahill looks a pretty strong selection of forwards, especially with some youngsters in reserve. Everton's squad is really progressing now, all we need is a decent class CM.

I'm sorry Licker but it's not all about opinions when yours is so obviously wrong! AS IF Vaughan will start on Sat, he's hardly kicked a ball in months and it'd be a bit much asking him to start when he's only played 50 mins of football. Yakubu was obviously rested to keep fresh for tomorrow, I mean he scored one and created one last weekend so I hardly think he was dropped! VAUGHAN WILL NOT START TOMORROW UNLESS EVERY OTHER FIRST TEAM STRIKER IS INJURED!

And yet Moyes started Cahill after he'd barely kicked ball in months. Funny that.

Yeah thats a good point Mark.

Carl, i think i've already said that a shoulder injury wouldnt interfere too much with Kicking, Running, or keeping up the level of his fitness, where as its a bit different with a knee or foot injury. But i've also said that its only my opinion and I'm probably just wishing that Vaughan comes back as soon as possible.