IGNORED

Shane Duffy

Does it not show how crap the Northern Irish side is when they're calling up a player who has never played a first-team game?

Err, no....

....it just shows how many of the first squad are away on holidays.

[NI are currently 27th in the FIFA world ranking system, just behind Scotland (25th) and ahead of the RoI and Wales.]

..."Northern Ireland's New Era (FIFA Website)"

Edited by ESCNI

Ah... but Northern Ireland are below them on the ELO Rankings ;)

http://www.eloratings.net/

haha! Very good point Louis!

I really hope we qualify for the World Cup. Trapattoni is a proven winner - I just hope he gets us to the tournament. Missing out on Euro 2004 and 2008 along with missing W.C. 2006 means that belief in the national team has dwindled!

Shane Duffy: An Irish Colossus

Edited by Noddy

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Neville? Dear God, I don't think he'll appreciate that comparison!

He was unlucky not to get a run out against Italy and as Nigel Worthington clearly holds him in high regard, I think he'll have more chances in the future. However, since he did not play, he is still eligible to represent the Republic of Ireland, were they to come looking for him. He has been propelled through the ranks by Nigel Worthington and Steve Beaglehole in an effort to extinguish any interest from the Republic, which, while I don't like it, is probably a smart move on their behalf. Shane only turned 17 this year and while he has had a reasonably successful first season with Everton, I think it's unfair to tie a player down at such a young age, where they may not have reached a certain level of maturity.

RE Romey 1878; I certainly hope Shane keeps up his development. It has been a mad first year for him, with untimely injuries at the beginning, to being called up for several Everton reserve games and the N.I. senior team!

Edited by Noddy

• 1 month later...

No inside titbits for us Ryan ? :)

At first I was like "How does he know my name!?". Then the penny dropped... unless you've been spying on me??

I've been told he's been given a squad number (34, I think) and that he may be going on loan after Christmas, although I don't know who to. I wonder what team he'd be loaned to?

Is he going to be playing in the Milk Cup next month?

Know anywhere I can buy a Milk Cup programme online? Only £6 in the shops but I can't find anywhere I can buy it online (may be worth something in the future!)

Depending on how he fares with the first team, it looks like he may be going to the Milk Cup with N.I. He could possibly captain that team too. I think it would be N.I.'s way of trying to keep him there, rather than 'defecting' to the Republic :o

Haven't a clue where you'd buy a programme online to be honest. Unless you go to the competition, or have someone send you one (you could contact the website?), your best bet will probably be ebay after the tournament?

I watched the Everton versus Rochdale game there earlier. Was a good result. I was delighted to see Shane start again, nevermind score an excellent header - fantastic stuff. I thought he was fairly solid and never looked out of place bar a few small errors. I also thought the commentators were a bit harsh on him to be honest. After scoring the opening goal, Shane made what looked to me like a fair challenge (he got the ball!) and the commentators were quick to point out that it was 'an inexperienced challenge'. It was actually Hibbert's fault that Shane had to make the challenge, since he strolled back from his earlier run up the wing and Wallace failed to cover. The whole team made some ridiculous individual errors that would have otherwise been punished, had they been playing stronger opposition and Phil Neville, the captain, even gave away a terrible penalty. While Shane did make some small errors (as is to be expected from an inexperienced 17 year old!), the commentators seemed to nit-pick every one and largely overlooked many of the more experienced players' mistakes. Overall however, I thought that he did very well, winning several key challenges and it must be said, at times it was hard to tell which of the centre halves was worth £15 million ;)

Agree with you mate, Shane was quality today. Sharpy did go a bit over-the-top on the push didn't he? The Rochdale player went down like vietnamese hooker when Shane touched him :P

I was very impressed with his composure today and thought he coped very well for comeone of his age up against hardened professionals when Hibbert and Wallace repeatedly slacked their defensive duties. Took his goal well too. I'd be looking to see him and Coleman involved more next season. And I definitely want to see Worthington play Duffy with Evans in a friendly just to test out that partnership (That is if he chooses to play for the North)

Tell Shane I live over the hill from the RoI team hotel and I'll give him a free twix if he chooses us :D

Edited by Grarghsies

Agree with you mate, Shane was quality today. Sharpy did go a bit over-the-top on the push didn't he? The Rochdale player went down like vietnamese hooker when Shane touched him :P

I was furious! Hibbert did the exact same, if not worse, moments later and nothing came of it and the commentators completely ignored it.

I was very impressed with his composure today and thought he coped very well for comeone of his age up against hardened professionals when Hibbert and Wallace repeatedly slacked their defensive duties. Took his goal well too. I'd be looking to see him and Coleman involved more next season. And I definitely want to see Worthington play Duffy with Evans in a friendly just to test out that partnership (That is if he chooses to play for the North)

It certainly is a big step-up and I think he's only been training with the first team for a few weeks too, so maybe that's another factor.

Tell Shane I live over the hill from the RoI team hotel and I'll give him a free twix if he chooses us :D

I'll make sure to tell him, he needs all the assurance he can get :P He wants to play for the Republic, but he hasn't been selected since he trained last year, for some reason or another. N.I. on the other hand have been offering him countless opportunities. I would love to see him play for the Republic too though!

85 or 86 posts in this thread and noddy must have posted 50 of them. :D

Well done Noddy, Shane Duffy has certainly lived up to your expectations, you pushed his name at every opportunity and its finally coming to fruition, If Lescott goes i'm sure we will see a lot more of Shane this season, and he may well save the club a big transfer fee. ;)

Well two friendlies in and the arguments begin. Having ventured to Spotland yesterday and witnessed first hand, I would have to say that Duffy did nothing to inspire me with confidence if he was to get a run in the first team. I take the point, he is young and inexperienced but to state he was quality is rather over the top in my opinion. Only time will tell if he will make it as a first team regular and good luck to him.

85 or 86 posts in this thread and noddy must have posted 50 of them. :D

I don't have much other reason to post on these boards, since I'm not an Everton fan...

Well done Noddy, Shane Duffy has certainly lived up to your expectations, you pushed his name at every opportunity and its finally coming to fruition, If Lescott goes i'm sure we will see a lot more of Shane this season, and he may well save the club a big transfer fee. ;)

To be fair, my adding of some information or asking a question on the thread isn't what earned Shane his place with the first team in pre-season. I was delighted to see him play, so regardless of his performance on the day (which I believe was just the same as most of the other regulars') I was proud. Forgive my bias... :blink:

Well two friendlies in and the arguments begin. Having ventured to Spotland yesterday and witnessed first hand, I would have to say that Duffy did nothing to inspire me with confidence if he was to get a run in the first team. I take the point, he is young and inexperienced but to state he was quality is rather over the top in my opinion. Only time will tell if he will make it as a first team regular and good luck to him.

I agree that the proof will be in the pudding, but it can only be positive that Moyes believed Duffy merited a first team place ahead of some of the new signings for example. His performance was decent, bar some errors that can perhaps be attributed to nerves, and the goal was good.

• 3 weeks later...

Duffy has played in 3 out of 5 pre-season games for the first team. He played the full 90 minutes versus Bury, scored against Rochdale and came on to notably settle what was a shambles of a defence against Blackpool. Great experience for him at only 17 to be training with and playing alongside such seasoned professionals - it can only help raise his game.

I think (though I'm not sure) that he played and scored for Everton reserves tonight versus Bangor City. I think that's about 4 goals Duffy's scored in his relatively short Everton career :P

RE U21 call up. It's great news. I mean, at 17, Shane's still very young and to be playing against Portugal U21s will be a test! I'm just thankful that FIFA changed the eligibility rules regarding age-limits, so that he's still eligible for the Republic if he plays!

Edited by Noddy