IGNORED

Shane Duffy

• 2 weeks later...

McGrath went through some serious bouts of depression, and personal problems, which is a shame, because what a player he could have been.

I've just heard that Shane will be on Sky Sports some time today. I think he's being interviewed.

like to say well done to the lad.. but dont get ya hopes up, lets see how he is with the 18s this season and if he is really that good he should be with the reserves alot towards the end or even earlier.. there always youngstars coming through and we alwasy say big things about them but they never come through the ranks. but good luck to him and hope his one of the everton stars..

like to say well done to the lad.. but dont get ya hopes up, lets see how he is with the 18s this season and if he is really that good he should be with the reserves alot towards the end or even earlier.. there always youngstars coming through and we alwasy say big things about them but they never come through the ranks. but good luck to him and hope his one of the everton stars..

yeah i hear ya mizza, but the experence of finch farm and the coachin staff with the toffees will only make him a better and stronger player!! hopefully??

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

From the world famous Derry Journal:

"I'd been to Manchester United, Arsenal, Bolton, Sunderland and Southampton for trials and while I had been offered scholarship contracts, I opted for Everton as it had felt right when I arrived there.

"I arrived at the club on July 1st last year and now, after almost seven months, I was offered and signed a two and a half years professional deal. It's a dream come true for me and I'm absolutely delighted," he added.

"Football has always been my number one priority. I love playing the game and to be given a chance to play at the highest level has given me a great boost in confidence. It's very hard to get a professional deal these days, especially in the Premiership, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge. But I've no intention of getting carried away, I'll be keeping my feet firmly planted to the ground and I will continue to stay focused and play to the best of my ability.

"I'm now playing in the Youth team regularly at centre-half, which is great. I had played at right-back in recent matches, but I'm back in the centre of defence. To be honest, I really don't mind where I play, just as long as I'm in the team but I would prefer playing as a centre-back.

"I've already been included on the bench for a number of Reserve team games but I'm not in any great hurry. I've got time on my side and I'm also aware that I've got so much to learn. I intend to take each day as it comes and hope for the best."

• 2 weeks later...
From the world famous Derry Journal:

"I'd been to Manchester United, Arsenal, Bolton, Sunderland and Southampton for trials and while I had been offered scholarship contracts, I opted for Everton as it had felt right when I arrived there.

"I arrived at the club on July 1st last year and now, after almost seven months, I was offered and signed a two and a half years professional deal. It's a dream come true for me and I'm absolutely delighted," he added.

"Football has always been my number one priority. I love playing the game and to be given a chance to play at the highest level has given me a great boost in confidence. It's very hard to get a professional deal these days, especially in the Premiership, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge. But I've no intention of getting carried away, I'll be keeping my feet firmly planted to the ground and I will continue to stay focused and play to the best of my ability.

"I'm now playing in the Youth team regularly at centre-half, which is great. I had played at right-back in recent matches, but I'm back in the centre of defence. To be honest, I really don't mind where I play, just as long as I'm in the team but I would prefer playing as a centre-back.

"I've already been included on the bench for a number of Reserve team games but I'm not in any great hurry. I've got time on my side and I'm also aware that I've got so much to learn. I intend to take each day as it comes and hope for the best."

The 'Journal' as it is affectionately known as by locals in Derry is certainly an excellent example of literary magnificence in the media. I'm thankful that they're not getting names wrong or making simple grammatical errors anymore...

Seems Shane's doing fairly well. He has come on leaps and bounds since his hip injury before Christmas. Fair play!

The 'Journal' as it is affectionately known as by locals in Derry is certainly an excellent example of literary magnificence in the media. I'm thankful that they're not getting names wrong or making simple grammatical errors anymore...

Seems Shane's doing fairly well. He has come on leaps and bounds since his hip injury before Christmas. Fair play!

Better than the Irish Times, they moaned at ITV for about a paragraph for missing Everton's goal against Liverpool, really snide comments, and then continued on to get Gosling's first name wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

The Irish media are great value. I love how we don't really take anything seriously. The RTÉ's coverage of football matches is great and with analysis from the likes of Johnny Giles, Éamon Dunphy, Liam Brady (who, due to international duties does not appear regularly anymore), Ronnie Whelan and from time to time, Graeme Souness, the viewer is guaranteed a good laugh. Dunphy is a volatile character and he makes it interesting.

I hear that Duffy has been playing regularly with the under-18s and has made a few appearances for the reserves, coming off the bench to put in solid performances, even hitting the bar against Bolton with a 25-yard effort on his weaker left foot!

Do any of you on here get to watch the reserve and under-18 games?

Guest efctaxi
I don't, the u18 games are played in Halewood (8miles from city centre) and the reserve games are played in Halton (16 miles from city centre). In my opinion the distance puts people off going and larger attendances could be had at Goodison

Halton Stadium as in Widnes Rugby ground ?

500 yards from the bridge :)

Ok.. using postcode it's 14 miles from city centre (using google maps' directions) :)

Still a bit far for people to watch a game or two.

In my opinion...Wavertree Sports Ground should be upgraded to accomodate at least 4,000 people (Liverpool needs a recognised athletics venue anyway!) and Liverpool and Everton reserves should play there. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.derryjournal.com/derry-sport/Du...late.5167323.jp

Duffy, McEleney hope to emulate Gibson

TH1_144200955Footballers%201104Ap1.JPG

Mayor of Derry Gerard Diver pictured with local lads Shane Duffy who has just been signed by Everton and Patrick McEleney, signed by Sunderland, their parents Siobhian and Brian Duffy, Patricia and Henry McEleney, Coach Ollie Brown Foyle Harps Youth, Helen Quigley and Doc Doherty Chairman of Foyle Harps. 1104Ap1

Published Date:

14 April 2009

Talented teenagers, Shane Duffy (17) and Patrick McEleney (16) were granted a Civic Reception by the Mayor of Derry, Colr. Gerard Diver in the

Guildhall on Saturday to acknowledge their rise to prominence with their respective clubs in the English Premiership.

Galliagh lad, Duffy, recently signed a two-and-a-half year professional contract with Everton while his former Foyle Harps teammate, McEleney from

Amelia Court, also earned a similar contract in the North-East of England with Sunderland.

Both teenagers have since hit the ground running, quickly graduating through the Youth Academy to gain appearances in the Reserves and, in the case of Duffy, a rare run out with the Everton first team.

Keen to emulate the success of Gibson, both players are fully focused on attempting to cement a regular place in their club's Reserves squad and they have been heavily influenced by the success of the Hazelbank lad at both International and club level.

Shane, a towering centre half, has been promoted from the underage set-up and trains regularly with the likes of Tim Cahill and Mikeal Arteta in the 'Toffees' first team. And he has already had a taste of first team action having played and scored in John Achterberg's testimonial game for an Everton XI against Tranmere

last month.

"Darron Gibson has been a big influence on me because we've seen how far he's come and we all know what he's capable of doing so, hopefully, my career will have the same sort of success that he's been enjoying lately," said Duffy.

"It's going well so far, I'll just keep pushing away and, hopefully, I'll get my chance soon."

Duffy, standing at 6 ft 4 ins. was predictably delighted with the progress he's made in the ten months he has been at the Merseyside club but he remains level headed and has kept his feet firmly on the ground.

"It's all about keeping your feet on the ground and continuing to work hard. It's a top class set-up at Everton, everything's there for you and it's all down to yourself if you want to make it or not."

The former St Joseph's Boys pupil's achievement is even more remarkable given the fact he has suffered a couple of untimely injuries, but he is eager to make an impression on first team manager, David Moyes when given the opportunity.

Significant Progress Duffy's former teammate at Foyle Harps, Patrick McEleney, has also made significant progress since joining Sunderland on a full-time scholarship last year.

The 16 year-old striker, who has represented Republic of Ireland at under-18 level, was then offered a two-and-a-half year professional contract last September and having settled at his new surroundings, he is anxious to make an impact at the Stadium of Light.

"It's hard to get used to at the start when you move away from your family and friends, but once you get settled in it's fine," he said. "The quality at Sunderland is fantastic and the facilities and players are top class.

"Iwas playing for the reserves against the first team recently when we won 2-0 and I scored both goals. Sunderland boss, Ricky Sbragia came out to watch the game and saw one of my goals and when we went back in at lunch, he congratulated me," smiled Patrick.

McEleney formed part of the Sunderland Under-18 and Reserves team which won their respective leagues this season under former legend, Kevin Ball, but he is keeping his feet placed firmly planted on the ground.

"Kevin Ball was captain for Sunderland for something like 400 appearances and he was saying to me that if I increase my workrate I'll be in a good position to make it, but I'll just keep my head down and not get carried away."

So what's happening? Is he opting for Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland long term?

I don't know exactly what the story is at the minute, although I know Shane is eligible in every way to play for the Republic, holding an Irish passport and especially since his father is from Donegal.

I was just surfing a message board site in Ireland called foot.ie and they've got a thread on Shane. Some posters are claiming that Shane's Northern Irish, even though he has an Irish passport and would, like myself consider himself to be Irish. Given the opportunity, he'd preferably want to represent Ireland at international level, but if that opportunity did not arise, then certainly he'd like to be playing some form of international football.

That's a great article Louis. In the printed article, the photo is different, they look so tanned...I wonder if there's a sun-bed culture in professional football? haha

Please god say he is opting for the Republic. We need a good young centre back, and be fair the North already have Jonny Evans. :D

We'll take anybody with a bit of talent so we can move O'Shea to the right and remove the shambles of a footballer that is Paul McShane.

I caught the Man Utd reserves game, he played well.. the commentator said that if he was 5ft 4, it would have been cricket score. He seemed to clear everything.

And teh guy is now just 15? or did he have 16th birthaday already? Its very nice to hear that we have another talent in our juniorsquad. Hopefully he keeps going and will brake into first team soon. What kind of team were manu reserves playing? Cant be totally shite right?

Under-19 is a bit of a step up I presume.

Noddy - Do you know much about the Ireland Olympics for 2012, presumably Duffy is eligible for the Ireland (or Britain) Olympic squad should choose he be asked?

I hadn't even thought about it to be honest Louis. I'd say he'd definitely be eligible, but those squads won't be chosen this early surely?

With regard to the U19 game against Switzerland. I was at it, up at Seaview in Belfast. I was conveniently in the bathroom while they played God Save the Queen, but watched the game. Shane had a brilliant game and was awarded with the Man of the Match after the game. He's been called up to the N.I. 'B' team, which is an incredible feat for a 17 year old. Nigel Worthington holds him in high regard - it's bloody strange that the Republic's management team haven't been monitoring the situation, or at least, they don't seem to be!

You need to think about things and live up to the text underneath your username. The team selection is 3 years away. God save the queen.. awful song but let's not turn this into a row ;)

Haha yeah, not to row, but I still don't like how it's played at N.I. games. Despite what people might think, by playing such a song, you automatically exclude (unknowingly or knowingly) certain areas of Irish society from feeling like they can support the team - after all, Scotland and Wales don't play it at their international games. I certainly feel that there should be an alternative, such as the 'anthem' of the Irish rugby team for example - who knows, there may be an all-Ireland soccer team in the future?. Anyway........

Shane came on after 60 minutes for N.I.'s 'B' international game versus Scotland 'B' in Clyde. I wasn't at the game myself, but according to some first hand reports, he had a solid game and apparently Nigel Worthington has said he may be on stand-by for the senior team's friendly game against Italy in June. He has made tremendous strides both domestically and internationally since going to Everton last year!

• 2 weeks later...