IGNORED

Shane Duffy

Actually, FIFA changed the eligibility rules did they not? Shane is still entirely able to play for ROI, if they call him up I believe (I hope!) :P

Seems he had a solid game by a few accounts and he took his penalty well. He must have a lot of confidence to step up and hit the penalty. I think it's a bit mad considering he's only 17 and that's U21 level - there are obviously a few more established players in the squad.

Here's a youtube clip with the goals in that game, including Duffy's penalty

http://eurorivals.net/highlights/portugal-u21_v_northern-ireland-u21_20090812.html

Edited by Noddy

Took some bottle? Are you saying he's because he's Irish, he's an alcoholic Mike!? :o Chin him Noddy!!

FIFA did change the rules.. in short:

Duffy for NI u21 = No Duffy for ROI u21

DUffy for NI = No Duffy for ROI unless he played for NI in a friendly. :)

shane made the bench on saturday.....and i think he would have put in alot more effort than some of that team that started!!get rid of lescot, he lost the love for the club!!

Any word from him on what the dressing room's like Mark? Agree with you on both points btw :) .

I know he'd be in trouble if his thoughts were reported on here, but you could always have an educated guess as to what you think he might think ( ;);) ).

I actually wanted duffy on last night in place of Neville (well move Neville out of CB).

He should get a chance in the 2nd leg, especially as we are 4-0 up in the tie.

yeah i thought he might of got the last ten last nite.., but neville had a strong second half, bit shakey in the first 30 mins!duffy knows hows to find the net..so hes my bet for first goal scorer in the second!!!lol :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tough break for Duffy missing a penalty against the Czech's :( .

shane has played 2 matches this week for the u/19s in bosnia [very warm he tell us]first was bulgeria [1-1], bulgeria scored in the 92 min,tough break as bulgeria were fav to win [4/6]short price,shane played well ,he was giving the captians armband for the first time, that was great news for us here at home as we have always seen shane as a leader on the pitch,[ferguson,newcastle scored],the 2nd match was against iceland 0-0 a match he was also captain in,ireland really should have win this one [10/11]fav,missed alot of chances shane held the back very well,the word from the dressing room after was that steve beadlehole[manager] went ballistic with the team not a happy camper i am told,[love to here things like that,beadlehole is a top man],the way the table stands now a point against hosts bosnia on monday will be enought as long as bulgeria v iceland [draw],but i think n/ireland might just have enough to win this and go through to the elite play offs,fingers crorred

shane has played 2 matches this week for the u/19s in bosnia [very warm he tell us]first was bulgeria [1-1], bulgeria scored in the 92 min,tough break as bulgeria were fav to win [4/6]short price,shane played well ,he was giving the captians armband for the first time, that was great news for us here at home as we have always seen shane as a leader on the pitch,[ferguson,newcastle scored],the 2nd match was against iceland 0-0 a match he was also captain in,ireland really should have win this one [10/11]fav,missed alot of chances shane held the back very well,the word from the dressing room after was that steve beadlehole[manager] went ballistic with the team not a happy camper i am told,[love to here things like that,beadlehole is a top man],the way the table stands now a point against hosts bosnia on monday will be enought as long as bulgeria v iceland [draw],but i think n/ireland might just have enough to win this and go through to the elite play offs,fingers crorred

great result n/ireland 4 bosnia 0

shane scored 2 one a powerfull header from a free kick the second a pen,that means n/ireland go through to the elite round in march,

great result n/ireland 4 bosnia 0

shane scored 2 one a powerfull header from a free kick the second a pen,that means n/ireland go through to the elite round in march,

Great to see shane getting the arm band...that team should improve for that happening, i was at the home game againt iceland, and the captain that day didnt say alot on the pitch, hence the result!!! hope he pushes on now to the top of his game!!!!.... ( :D everton captain 2015 :rolleyes: )....

My only concern is that he may not actually get a chance in our first-team because Moyes doesn't seem to like to play young defenders.

Think if he's good enough he'll get his chance, DM hasn't played young defenders because he doesn't think they've been good enough. If he's happy to play Rodwell in such a key position at such a young age I don't think he'd have a problem with a defender if he thought they were up to it.

My only concern is that he may not actually get a chance in our first-team because Moyes doesn't seem to like to play young defenders.

seems to be the case alright romey....but moyes has him on the bench a lot, its all good for the lad, and he'll be ready when he is needed! how many center half do you know that take pens for there international side?? the boy's got talent, and moyes can see it!! can only be good in the long term for everton! :D

Yeah, but he'll play young players out of position in defence, *cough* Gosling *cough*.

Shane's just 17. Not many top-flight managers like playing young defenders who, while they may be talented, don't have experience - this is especially true of centre-halves. It's a different story in other areas of the pitch, like on the wing or up front. Defence is arguably the most crucial area of the pitch. There is less pressure on a 17 year old striker to perform than there is on a 17 year old central defender.

I'd like to see Duffy get some loan-experience in the likes of the Championship or something, as it would give him extended first team experience and it would undoubtedly boost his confidence. He'd be in a better position next season to break into the Everton team as an 18 year old who has played in the Championship and who knows, may get senior international experience in the mean time (as much as I'd rather he played for the Republic of Ireland, he has already been in the senior N.Ireland squad).

I think it's fantastic that he's the captain of the N.I. u19s at only 17 years old. It just shows the maturity of Duffy and his approach to the game. I was at an u21 game that Duffy was playing in and he looked like the only leader on the pitch, despite being 3 or 4 years younger than the rest of the team. It's also impressive that he's got such a good goal-scoring record for the N.I. youth teams, since he's a defender. Taking penalties requires a fair amount of confidence and shows he's brimming with it at the minute. I think that's 4 penalties out of 5 for N.I. youth teams - I'm open to correction on that, finnharps and markduff!

The fans need to show Everton's young players that they're behind them too. It'll help their development. I can't believe that some fans write off youngsters at such a young age, it's a disgrace to be fair.

If he's good enough then he'll get his chance, and there certainy seems to be alot of positive things being said about him. His only problem is the amount of players we currently have in that position. However given his young age and the older age of some of our other defenders I am sure that if he sticks around here and keeps progressing then he will be given his chance, Moyes seems to be one of the better managers in the league for younger players.

do you think he would benifit from a loan move to the lower leagues? i know moyes will do wats best for the lad, and i know hes happy been in the squad, and bench most games!! but when is the right time to have a young center half playing in full matches on a weekly basis? (age wise)?

Edited by markduff