IGNORED

Halfway Home

zequist

19 games down, 19 to go, and I think most of would say we're looking really good at this point, especially if we can survive January. I went back and checked the standings, and from 1997 on, every single team that has finished the season with at least 60 points (which we're well on pace to do) has qualified for Europe. In fact, the highest point total since '97 for a team that didn't get into Europe was by us in 2003, when we finished the year with 59 points but only took 7th place.

As far as fourth place goes, we have a shot but we may need an extra win or two. Most years the 4th place team has been around 67-69 points, with the highest being 71 by Newcastle about five years ago. Occasionally it's dipped into the low 60s (the lowest being 60 by Liverpool in 2004), but this year looks much more likely to be an up year, assuming Liverpool and City keep up the form they've been showing.

Remaining home games (10): Arsenal, City, Tottenham, Reading, Portsmouth, West Ham, Derby, Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle

Remaining road games (9): Boro, Wigan, Blackburn, City, Sunderland, Fulham, Liverpool, Birmingham, Arsenal

So, anyone wanna be bold and make a prediction about our final point total/finishing spot?

for the away games we have left im hopeful we can win at Boro, Wigan, Sunderland, Fulham & Birmingham, draw at City and Blackburn, lose at Liverpool and Arsenal.

17 away points.

home i think we can beat Arsenal, City, Reading, Pompy, West Ham, Derby, Villa & Newcastle. Get a draw with Spurs and lose to Chelsea.

25 home points.

42 points.

75 in total, where will that get us?

let me take off a point for losing at city, 6 points for Arsenal and Villa beating us at home, and take 2 points for newcastle gettin a draw at Goodison.

66 points.

either way, i see nothing less than euro qualification.

for the afro nations time i was worried, but i think AJ can cover Yak, Jags can cover for Joe, hopefully we bring someone in to cover for pienaar

Its interesting that

I would love to think we will carry on a high, but with loosing a couple of player to africa and a couple of injuries we may struggle

Im taking it one game at at time, see who we add to the squad in January

I like the look of this away list though

Remaining road games (9): Boro, Wigan, Blackburn, City, Sunderland, Fulham, Liverpool, Birmingham, Arsenal

Looks like weve got quite an even spread home and away, a few more tuff home games though. So we are not kidding our selves are we?

I don't think that is a bad spread of games at all. We have gotten a lot of our traditionally difficult trips out of the way - ManYoo, Chelsea, Villa, Spurs, Newcastle so it bodes well. Although I certainly can't see us picking up 75 points, and there are always going to be games we lose unexpectedly like the Reading game this year, A lot will depend on how long we manage to keep our cup runs going too.

I'm not clued up on the Carling Cup vis-a-vis European qualification, I presume we have to win it outright to secure a UEFA place. If we could possibly pull it off I think having Europe sorted by February (imagine it!) would actually help our league form no end. I will be happy with top six and to stay in the UEFA Cup to quarter finals minimum as we have a decent draw. Certainly I go a huge amount of hope watching the Old Trafford performance in knowing we can take on the big guns.