IGNORED

Gosling: I'm Still A Man Utd Fan

Louis

Interested to read he never met Moyesy but signed anyway!

Former Brixham United youth team player Dan Gosling joined the Barclaycard Premiership elite yesterday when Plymouth Argyle agreed to sell him to Everton for £1.5million.

The 17-year old, who celebrates his next birthday in 27 days time, was due on Merseyside today to complete the four-year deal as Argyle's first ever £1million sale.

And he straight away pledged to fight his way into the Everton first team, despite Toffees manager David Moyes insisting he's 'one for the future'.

"I've never met Mr Moyes, because all the negotiations have been done over the telephone," said Gosling in an exclusive interview with the Herald Express last night.

"However, he's got it wrong if he thinks I'll settle for anything other than making the first team squad at Goodison Park.

"I shall do my best to knock on the first team door straight away."

Gosling, discovered by local talent scout John James playing for Brixham United under-12s in the Pioneer Youth League, has made 24 first team appearances for Argyle since making his Coca Cola Championship début at 16.

"It's going to be a lot harder for me at Premiership level, but I know I will relish the challenge of trying to break into the Everton first team," he said.

"I don't know what position they have in mind for me having played at full-back and in midfield for Argyle. I haven't really discussed that side of it, but I'm comfortable playing anywhere and will play anywhere."

Gosling says he definitely won't feel out of place rubbing shoulders with Premiership talent having played with a number of the country's up-and-coming stars for England in the European Under-17 Championships in Serajevo and the FIFA Under-18 World Championships in South Korea.

"I'm confident in my own ability, so why should I be nervous?" he said.

"I'm not even an Everton fan, because I've always been a Manchester United supporter and will continue to be. However, it's exciting to imagine playing alongside players like Mikel Arteta and Tim Cahill."

"I can't wait to get there, yet it's still a sad time to be saying goodbye to everyone at Argyle. In fact, it was really tough yesterday after the deal had been agreed about 9 o'clock the previous night.

"I was aware of the chance of me going to Everton with all the rumours going round in recent weeks, but I was still surprised when it all happened. My mum, who lives in Brixham with my 19-year old sister, Leanne, are also chuffed that I've been given this opportunity."

Gosling, a former pupil at both Eden Park Primary School and Brixham Community College, said his move was a dream come true.

"I never thought this kind of thing would happen, especially not when I was playing for Brixham United youth team," he said.

"Neither did I think I would play for the national team come to that, but I've managed to do so at under 17 and under-18 level.

"Am I thinking about the England senior team? I think it's far too early for that."

It's the second deal involving Argyle and Everton in the last few days after striker Lukas Jutkiewicz joined the Pilgrims on loan on Monday.

After negotiations taking Gosling in the opposite direction, Moyes described his young capture as 'one for the future'

Well he's certainly ambitious. If he can play as well as he talks then he'll be a very good signing. I'm looking forward to seeing how he turns out as a player. We seem to sign alot of "hot prospects" that seem to fade away slightly. Its just a waiting game, despite what he says i really can't see him breaking into the first team this term at least. Fair play if he does.