IGNORED

Manny Confirmed

MikeO

Watching his interview on EvertonTV he says he's not eligable for the UEFA Cup (which seems to go against the regulations according to JD :( ) but is OK for the Carling. In answer to the question..

"What can this side achieve in the second half of the season with your help?"

...he says..

"I hope we can consolidate the fourth place because third place is going to be difficult.....think some points behind Chelsea so try and stay as far as possible from the other teams that have the same points as us."

Like his thinking.

"I hope we can consolidate the fourth place because third place is going to be difficult.....think some points behind Chelsea so try and stay as far as possible from the other teams that have the same points as us."

Wow, hes optimistic. Actually thinking we even have an outside chance of 3rd!!! As long as we hit europe i'll be happy, but i love the fact that manny doesn't just want to break the top 4. he wants top 3. Fair play.

Also, bit gutted that he's not available for eufa. Would have really boosted our chances. Hey ho. We've done alright so far....

Edited by jamiemaher85

Think about it. Seven more wins in sixteen games and we've got 60 points, could be enough for Europe then even if we were to lose nine games! And that's not gonna happen!

If we were to keep gathering points at the same rate we've done since Liverpool we'd finish on 73 points, which would be fourth at the worst. That's not gonna happen either (love to be proved wrong on that one :D ).

Somewhere between I reckon. Exciting times anyway B) . If we can stay where we are until the lads get back from the ACN we'll be flying!

Also, bit gutted that he's not available for eufa. Would have really boosted our chances. Hey ho. We've done alright so far....

Can't see why he isn't, as JD said, this is the regulation...

For all matches from the start of the round of 32, a club may register a

maximum of three new eligible players for the remaining matches in the

current competition. Such registration must be completed by 1 February

2008 at the latest. This deadline cannot be extended.

One player from the above quota of three who has played UEFA club

competition matches for another competing club in the current season may

exceptionally be registered provided that the player has not been fielded:

− in the same competition for another club,

− for another club that is currently in the same competition.

Furthermore, if the player’s new club is playing in the UEFA Cup, his former

club must not have played in the UEFA Cup at any point in the current

season.

From that it's completely clear that he does qualify. There's some stuff in the regs about five or six of the registered 25 needing to be "local" but that's not a problem for us. Don't understand it. Valencia didn't play in the UEFA cup and as they finished fourth in their Champs League group they're not in it.

Edited by MikeO

Exactly. If Valencia had finished third in their group then they'd be in the UEFA Cup and we couldn't use him (this is why Tottenham couldn't use Ricardo Rocha in the UEFA Cup last year - his old club, Benfica, had finished third in their UCL group and "advanced" to the UEFA Cup themselves). But Valencia didn't finish third - they finished last, so they're not going to the UEFA Cup, they're going home. And the rule only says "his former club must not have played in the UEFA Cup," it doesn't say "his former club must not have played in any European club competition."

The only other thing I could think of is if we've already used our one exception for the year on someone else, but I can't think who that would be. Gravesen wasn't selected for any of Celtic's UCL matches before we picked him up, so he wouldn't affect anything (eligibility is only compromised if the player actually took the field, not if he merely appeared on someone's registration list), and I don't think any of our other summer signings came from teams who were competing in Europe.

Edited by JD in DC

Great news.

Gives us another player than can create something in the middle and once Pienaar and Osman is back like Licker said then will have a strong midfield.

Is Manny the last signing in the transfer window do with think? as can't really see anyone else comming in unless Vogal joins but that gone cold at the moment it seems.

Things are looking good for the second half of the season