IGNORED

"british" Team At London Olympic Games

The Olympics starts a few weeks after the Europen Championships. So, if England qualify and do quite well (a big if) at the Europen Championships then, surely, none of the leading England players can take part in the Olympics. So, no Scottish, Northern Irish or Welsh players, no players from England's first-choice squad, and only a few players allowed who are over 23. Result: Definitely no chance of a medal, so what is the point of taking part?

I think that there will be a Great Britain team in 2012. You only have to look at the likes of Drogba, Riquelme and Cahill wanting to play in Bejing to notice that the reputation of the Olympics is changing and the FA, the fiscal bunch they are will want a piece of the pie.

It may even be on a rotation basis, the GB olympic team will be english in 2012, scottish 2016, welsh 2020 etc.

I thought that only U23 players could compete on the Olympic squads, so most of the national teamers wouldn't be eligible anyway. Or am I remembering that wrong?

Edit: I see it now. It's U-23, with up to three "overage" players allowed to augment the squad. "No chance of a medal" says Sheedy...are you guys really hurting that badly for young talent?

Edited by JD in DC

Not really into Olymipcs football, so basically GB can make a Team of Players from the Premiership that are under 23 and 3 of them can be over 23?

If so we should do quite well if thats the case,

Carson

Hoyte Richards Ferdinand Baines

Lennon Johnson Reo Coker Young

Abonglahor Vaughan

Edited by Licker

It's a funny 1 that we have always disregarded the Olympic games.

I am neither excited by or right in to 2 be honest.

However, Italy ( stop their season ) Brazil & Argentina take it very seriously.

SO what have they done we aint ? Only won Several Worlds cups each.

They use ita s grooming 4 future squads. ( yep shock horror they look ahead)

Consequently though we dont as CLUB football is & ahs always been our bread n butter so to speak.

Interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

The REASON we dont have an Olympic team is because if we got together a GB team then FIFA would be insistent on a GB team for the World Cup and Euro Championships.

Basically the FA dont want to give FIFA an excuse to enforce a GB team thus losing England, Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales in the process.

Perhaps we will be allowed for the London Olympics but I'm sure it would be a 1 off.