IGNORED

4th Place

jofanon

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree,

while many people have been saying the gap between the big 4 (ahem 3!!) and the rest of the league was widening, this season all of the supposed top 4 have dropped a lot more points than usual and teams like Everton, Man City, Villa and Pompy have scored points consistancy.

last year both 3rd and 4th finished 21 points behind the league winners.

year before 4th finished 24 points behind.

season before that we came 4th, 34 points behind!

the gaps coming in, hopefully the gap will be less than 21 this season, and hopefully we'll be within that many points!

great result, means we have a 3 point gap to everyone except Liverpool. a bit loss for them against a relegation battling team.

of the teams in 4th - 8th only Liverpool won this weekend while us, Pompy and Blackburn took a point each.

could have been worse.

Liverpool have their game in hand dont they this week??? Maybe its next week

But they do play their cup final next week against one of the top four

Reading will give us a game next week, but we deffinatly need to win that type of game

Before we go to Anfield Liverpool have...

Chelsea A

'Boro H

Bolton A

Wham H

Newcastle H

Reading H

ManU A

We have...

Reading H

City A

Pompey H

Sunderland A

Fulham A

Wham H

On current form you could expect Liverpool to pick up seven points from those games.

We can expect twelve, go into the derby with an eight point advantage...where's the problem ;) ?

I have had (an admittedly stupid) attempt at guessing final points accumulated by us, RS, Villa, City, Blackburn and Pompey. I have taken a cautious (nervous!) approach to our points such as us drawing with Villa and losing at Anfield and have given Liverpool too much credit I suspect.

I have got us finishing 5th on 68 points, with RS getting 4th with 71. Villa get 6th.

These totals would be high for 4th and 5th places based on previous seasons (just type final Prem table for x season in Google if you are as sad as me!).

However, I do think its going to need at least 67 points to get 4th.

Do with that what you wish!

First things first, if we bear Reading then I suspect we start to a significant gap on the likes of City and Blackburn, who need to be picked off first.

Liverpool are the only challengers for fourth. Manchester City, Portsmouth, Aston Villa and Blackburn Rovers have are slipped up recently and their respective challenges are waning fast.
not so sure about that not the way benitez is chopping an changing, long may he rain hahaha, ad say villa are the ones to watch they look a decent side tbo,

I would not rule Villa out of the race for 4th just yet. Granted, they slipped at Fulham, but then Fulham are starting to show signs that they are going to fight for survival, especially with Bullard fit.

villa have a decent set of games left.

I would dearly love us to get 4th but I am naturally cautious and its too soon for us to even assume we will get a uefa cup place.

I dn't think it's possible to predict how many points the red shites will score at the moment they're way to unpredictable!

all we can do is hope we beat all of the teams below us and get at least a draw if not beating Liverpool. Anything against Chelsea or Arsenal is a bonus.

that's no expectation though! i would be a little suprised if we came away with 10 wins and a draw from our final 13!

As said before very hard to guess the redshites results. Chelski to beat them today as they should which would give us some cushion. Its all in our hands as we need to play the shite, villa and city. Its ours to throw away.

Predictions for remaining fixtures?

City A Draw

Pompey H Win

Sunderland A Draw

Fulham A Win

Wham H Win

Shite A Shall reluctantly go for Lose

Derby H Win

Brum A See us drop points here Draw

Chelsea H Lose

Villa H Draw

Arse A Lose

Magpies H Win

If by miracle all these are right points total = 19+47=66pts. Not sure if its good enough.

It will be close!

City haven't won at home in the league since December 15th, they've drawn three and lost one since then...also lost at home to Spurs in the Carling Cup. Have also lost to us and Sheffield United (and managed a draw at Derby).

Couple of slightly more positive results (beating Newcastle and Wham, draw at Villa) don't disguise the fact that they've run out of steam big time.

We play anything like we can and we get three points.

Edited by MikeO

....they've run out of steam big time.

Me and my big mouth :) .

Didn't need that today (City beating Utd) but hopefully it's a one-off. Derby results often throw the form book out of the window (hopefully that won't happen at Anfield though ;) ). Only upside is that it's pushed Liverpool down to seventh :D .

I'm backing us to grab three at Sunderland, but I'm actually a little more worried about the one right after that, even as bad as Fulham is this year. On paper we should wipe them out if we're healthy, but wasn't the last time we picked up a point at Craven Cottage like, the sixties?

I hope we get 4th and think we will by a few points but its important that we win these shite teams (including the actually shite hopefully) then no doubt Liverpool will slip up on one of them but am sure everton will lose Arsenal and possibly draw Chelsea all confusing.

Even if we dont get 4th its no massive loss I know its lots of money but if we were aiming for EUFA again then we will have achieved what we aimed for.

Crouch - "Realistically we're out of the title race now. Arsenal and Manchester United have set the pace and we now have to show respect to Aston Villa and Manchester City because we are in a right battle to get fourth place with them."

Cheeky bastard.

I wouldn't worry about it, hopefully he genuinely believes that (along with the rest of the players) and then by the time they wake up to reality it'll be too late. I think finally some Liverpool fans are starting to realise that Everton really are going to push them, but I still think 95% of them honestly believe that we can't finish ahead of them, it was the same a couple of years ago - they just can't/won't appreciate that Everton actually do have some very good players and a very very good manager. We're not playing well, but we still pick up results, when Liverpool don't play well they usually get very little.

If only we had've beaten Blackburn, we would have been out in front with clear daylight - it puts all sorts of pressure on the teams behind as games are running out and they know one mistake and we could go 6/8 points clear with 10 or so games left. We need to win a couple of games on the trot now, if we can beat City then we're in business.