IGNORED

Sentencing Of Serie A Match Fixing Trial

Announced a little later than expected, allegedly to coincide with the Italian evening eight o'clock news bulletins...here is the result of the trial...

Juventus = Relegated To Seria B -30pts!

AC Milan = 15-point deficit, and have had 44 points taken from their tally for the 2005-06 season.

Fiorentina = Relegated To Seria B - 12pts!

Lazio = Relegated to Seria B - 7 pts!

;)

Edited by www.fc-ssl.com

Well as official as it can get...just been released on BBC 5 Live.

BBC Sport reports

"Serie A sides Juventus, Lazio and Fiorentina have been demoted to the second division for their involvement in Italy's match-fixing scandal.

AC Milan will stay in Serie A but will lose 15 points and will be kicked out of the Champions League.

Juventus were also stripped of their last two titles and had 30 points deducted meaning that they are almost certain to stay down for two seasons.

Lazio were penalised seven points while Fiorentina suffered a 12 point penalty.

The clubs will have three days to appeal to the Federal Court.

The FIGC (Italian football's governing body) must hand Uefa the lists of teams which will be involved in European competitions by 25 July.

The tribunal in Rome investigated charges that the clubs, their management, football officials and referees tried to influence the outcome of matches by interfering with the appointment of officials.

In May transcripts were published of telephone conversations between former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi and Italian Football Association officials, discussing refereeing appointments in the 2004-05 season.

FIGC prosecutor Stefano Palazzi also charged 26 individuals for sporting fraud and violating fairness and probity.

All four clubs implicated denied the accusations.

Thirteen of Italy's World Cup-winning squad play for the clubs involved, with five at Juventus, who also number Patrick Vieira, Lilian Thuram, David Trezeguet, Pavel Nedved and Zlatan Ibrahimovic in their ranks.

or visit the BBC pages here

Edited by www.fc-ssl.com

Announced a little later than expected, allegedly to coincide with the Italian evening eight o'clock news bulletins...here is the result of the trial...

Juventus = Relegated To Seria B -30pts!

AC Milan = Remain in top flight -44pts & banned from Champions League!

Fiorentina = Relegated To Seria B - 12pts!

Lazio = Relegated to Seria B - 7 pts!

;)

38751[/snapback]

AC Milan have avoided relegation, but will start next season with a 15-point deficit, and have had 44 points taken from their tally for the 2005-06 season.

to be honest speculation will be stupid now espaecially for the likes of wigan and barcodes

i think we may miss it but would like to see an attempt to loan some players (as mentioned in another thread)

but i believe it is totally deserved and possibly could send italian football into free fall for 10 years tbh

thanks Adam's, I was typing it in as it was being announced...I have amended my original post accordingly for people coming into this thread.

Cheers

:)

38766[/snapback]

ok mate, juve ave got a hard task on there hands of surviving

heres wat some managers think of it:

ROEDER: ITALIAN CLUBS 'UNACCEPTABLE'

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder has spoke of the "murky world of professional sport" after the verdicts were delivered following an investigation into match-fixing in Italian football.

And Roeder said: "We all go into football - any sport - to play by the rules of the sport.

"For me personally, I wouldn't get the same satisfaction out of winning if I crossed the line, as it were.

"But you know in the murky world of professional sport, people are prepared to do that.

"It's like the outcry over the discovery of the referee over in Germany. That's totally unacceptable, and of course, the German football federation, they were disgusted by it.

"By the quality of the World Cup they have just staged, that's wiped that away.

"But it reminds you, it reminds the authorities, to keep a look-out for the characters that may go beyond the line. It's unacceptable behaviour."

New Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate said: "I have no insight into the goings-on in Italy, but you would hope it wouldn't happen in any country.

"The fact is it has and it's a great shame coming off such a high (winning the World Cup) that they have this to face as a nation just a day or two later."

Asked if it could it happen here, Southgate said: "It's not something I've encountered in my 18-19 years. You hope it's not the case, but you should never take things for granted."

Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock is adamant a similar controversy could not happen in the British game.

"I couldn't see that happening here," remarked Warnock to PA Sport.

"I can only see it happening in somewhere like Italy or Spain, but over here I think it would be difficult.

"First of all, I don't think politically our boards of chairman and directors are brought up like that.

"Obviously, in every walk of life there's certain people you can't class as honest.

"But in our league I don't think they would be able to get as far as they have in Italy without somebody seeing something and putting a stop to it."

Edited by Adams

Cobolli Gigli has reacted angrily to the news and vowed to fight the punishment.

"This verdict is unheard of," he said.

"We expected a balanced sentence not only in form but in substance, our expectations were different ones.

"We could have expected relegation to the second division but to be also handed a 30- point deduction is almost like relegation to the third division.

"We will appeal."

Fiorentina also immediately announced their intentions to appeal against the punishment.

"Fiorentina take note of the verdict given by the Federal Appeal Commission but retains it profoundly unjust," said a statement on the club's official website, www.acffiorentina.it.

"Fiorentina wishes to reiterate the absolute correctness of the club and of their own executives.

"Fiorentina will fight with every means possible so that the truth of the facts are revealed."

Milan managed to avoid the drop to Serie B but were also unhappy with the verdict, which means they will not be able to play in the Champions League next season.

"AC Milan retains the decision by the CAF of extraordinary injustice," said a statement on www.acmilan.com.

"We will appeal once the documents of the verdict will be available, with the certainty that the procedure will be radically modified by appeal."

Former Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani was one of several individuals also punished as a result of the investigation.

Galliani was handed a one-year suspension from all football activities while Lazio president Claudio Lotito was banned for three years and his Fiorentina counterpart, Andrea Della Valle, was given a four-year punishment.

Former Juve general manager Luciano Moggi, who was at the centre of the investigation after his telephone conversations with a referee supremo in charge of the appointments of officials during the 2004/05 season were tapped, was suspended for five years.

"I'm not saddened for myself but for the teams involved and for their fans," said Moggi.

Referee Massimo De Santis, who had been due to officiate at the World Cup before becoming embroiled in the investigation, has been suspended from football for four and a half years and former FIGC president Franco Carraro was also handed a four-year suspension.

The decision to strip Juve of their title means the Turin club will not be allowed to play in the Champions League next season, while Lazio are also barred from taking part in the UEFA Cup.

Lotito was fuming following the verdict.

"I think this sentence is provisional as it's based on a theorem which is completely ridiculous," he said.

"I will not make any decisions until a final sentence is given."

Subject to any appeals, the rulings mean that Inter Milan and Roma will gain automatic qualification to the Champions League, with Chievo and Palermo going into the qualifiers for the tournament.

Livorno, Parma and Empoli will be entered into the UEFA Cup.

In addition, Lecce, Messina, and Treviso will avoid relegation to Serie B and keep their places in the top flight as a result of the verdict.

Cobolli Gigli has reacted angrily to the news and vowed to fight the punishment.

"This verdict is unheard of," he said.

"We expected a balanced sentence not only in form but in substance, our expectations were different ones.

"We could have expected relegation to the second division but to be also handed a 30- point deduction is almost like relegation to the third division.

"We will appeal."

Fiorentina also immediately announced their intentions to appeal against the punishment.

"Fiorentina take note of the verdict given by the Federal Appeal Commission but retains it profoundly unjust," said a statement on the club's official website, www.acffiorentina.it.

"Fiorentina wishes to reiterate the absolute correctness of the club and of their own executives.

"Fiorentina will fight with every means possible so that the truth of the facts are revealed."

Milan managed to avoid the drop to Serie B but were also unhappy with the verdict, which means they will not be able to play in the Champions League next season.

"AC Milan retains the decision by the CAF of extraordinary injustice," said a statement on www.acmilan.com.

"We will appeal once the documents of the verdict will be available, with the certainty that the procedure will be radically modified by appeal."

Former Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani was one of several individuals also punished as a result of the investigation.

Galliani was handed a one-year suspension from all football activities while Lazio president Claudio Lotito was banned for three years and his Fiorentina counterpart, Andrea Della Valle, was given a four-year punishment.

Former Juve general manager Luciano Moggi, who was at the centre of the investigation after his telephone conversations with a referee supremo in charge of the appointments of officials during the 2004/05 season were tapped, was suspended for five years.

"I'm not saddened for myself but for the teams involved and for their fans," said Moggi.

Referee Massimo De Santis, who had been due to officiate at the World Cup before becoming embroiled in the investigation, has been suspended from football for four and a half years and former FIGC president Franco Carraro was also handed a four-year suspension.

The decision to strip Juve of their title means the Turin club will not be allowed to play in the Champions League next season, while Lazio are also barred from taking part in the UEFA Cup.

Lotito was fuming following the verdict.

"I think this sentence is provisional as it's based on a theorem which is completely ridiculous," he said.

"I will not make any decisions until a final sentence is given."

Subject to any appeals, the rulings mean that Inter Milan and Roma will gain automatic qualification to the Champions League, with Chievo and Palermo going into the qualifiers for the tournament.

In addition, Lecce, Messina, and Treviso will avoid relegation to Serie B and keep their places in the top flight as a result of the verdict.

38795[/snapback]

:blink: not worth it there all as bent as a three pound note :lol: just got caught :blink:

should be entertaining!

does blow their league apart, juventus will be in serie B for at least 2 seasons as there's no way they'll win the leauge by 30 points, they will however probably win the cup so get back in to the Uefa cup in a year's time.

though AC will also be trying in cup competitions as they will find it hard to compete in the league.

a major boost for english and spanish clubs who will now be favourites for the champions league with the other major forces going out.

investigation into match-fixing by the Federal Appeal Commission on Friday banned Milan from playing in this season's Champions League - they did, however, avoid relegation to Serie B unlike Juventus, Lazio and Fiorentina.

Subject to the appeals - all four clubs have confirmed they will challenge the Commission's rulings - Inter Milan and Roma will gain automatic qualification to next season's Champions League while Chievo and Palermo enter the tournament at the qualifying round stage.

However, a statement on Milan's official website suggests they are looking to compete in the UEFA Cup at Empoli's expense.

"At this time, Empoli do not have a licence to play in the UEFA Cup, having failed to request it and therefore, they cannot participate in a European competition," the statement read.

"The time frame to request a licence has already expired, hence for AC Milan there is the possibility to play in the 2006-07 UEFA Cup."

Milan have incurred a 44-point deduction from last year's total, which puts them a point below Empoli in the final league standings.

Their optimism looks to be misplaced, however, as Italian Football Federation commissioner Guido Rossi insisted on Saturday morning that justice had been done and that the punishments fitted the crimes.

"The sporting justice has worked perfectly," he said.

"Now we must rewrite the rules of football so these things never happen again."

Juventus president Giovanni Cobolli Gigli is confident they will succeed in their appeal.

Also Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to make a major transfer swoop on Italy's scandal-hit Serie B.

39011[/snapback]

i bet he is. a couple of million will persuade the judges.

face it the whole country is bent. thats why i hate italians.

I cant believe the directors could be back in football in a few years, What a joke, they should be sent down for fraud. As for if it could happen in England, have they forgotten about Groblaar, Segers etc match fixing scandel? And remember that floodlit match in England that went out during the game and it had to be replayed.

I cant believe the directors could be back in football in a few years, What a joke, they should be sent down for fraud. As for if it could happen in England, have they forgotten about Groblaar, Segers etc match fixing scandel? And remember that floodlit match in England that went out during the game and it had to be replayed.

39066[/snapback]

:( its a shitty country full of cheats and drama queens what do you exspect :lol:

:lol: i think hes a good player but i think he wnt play good in the prem...

Ruud van Nistelrooy's agent has confirmed the Manchester United striker is keen on a move to Real Madrid.

Tottenham have offered Juventus midfielder Pavel Nedved the chance to end his career at White Hart Lane, according to the player's agent.

Arsene Wenger has warned Arsenal fans not to expect a flurry of signings from Serie A.

Liverpool still want to sign another striker with David Trezeguet top of their wish-list.

Edited by Adams

• 2 weeks later...

The Rome and Florence outfits were originally relegated to Serie B and docked seven and 12 points respectively for the new season.

But they have returned to the top flight following an announcement by federal court president Piero Sandulli on Tuesday night.

Fiorentina will start the new season with a 19-point deduction, while Lazio will start with an 11-point deficit.

Juventus, the club hardest hit for breaking Italian Football Federation (FIGC) rules, remain in Serie B but have had their 30-point deduction reduced to 17.

AC Milan, who avoided relegation under the original verdict, have seen their 15-point penalty for next season reduced to eight.

The verdict means Milan will play in the forthcoming season's Champions League - along with Inter Milan, Roma and Chievo - but will have to go through the qualifying rounds.

Both Juventus and Fiorentina were given three-match stadium bans, meaning they will play their first trio of home games in their 2006-07 campaigns on neutral territory.

Lazio and Milan were handed two-match and one-match stadium bans respectively.