IGNORED

Ferguson's Everton Fines Hit £250,000

KillaGTiR

Everton have fined Duncan Ferguson the maximum of two weeks' wages, about £24,000, after the eighth dismissal of his career at the JJB Stadium on Tuesday night. The former Scotland striker, who punched Wigan's Paul Scharner, has been banned for three matches.

Ferguson lasted seven minutes as a second-half substitute before being sent off in the 80th minute. Everton's sanction means he has collected fines amounting to nearly £250,000 in two spells at Goodison Park. The 34-year-old has matched Patrick Vieira's Premiership record of eight red cards, though that does not take into account a three-match ban handed down in April 2003 after video evidence showed Ferguson elbowing the then Aston Villa midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That amounts to a ninth sending off, most of which have been for violent conduct, including a punch, a shove and three elbowing incidents plus an apparent attempt to throttle Leicester's Steffen Freund in 2004 and a dismissal for abusing the referee David Elleray.

Scharner described what happened. "Paul Jewell [Wigan's manager] told me to get near to Ferguson because he was the biggest one on their team and I am pretty good in the air," said the Austrian, signed from Brann Bergen last month for £1.5m. "But I didn't realise he would be so aggressive. At every corner Ferguson caught me with his elbow. I asked him what he was doing and he got very angry. It was a really hard punch to the stomach. This is the first time I have ever come across such a player."

Also sent off on Tuesday was Wigan's Jason Roberts, who will also serve a three-match ban for elbowing David Weir. But he will not miss the Carling Cup final with Manchester United on February 26

Edited by KillaGTiR