IGNORED

What Are You Reading?

Romey 1878

Sorry to rumble the thread but yeah Watership Down is a great book. I read it when I was 8 and have read it about two or three times now. Excellent description in-volved. I enjoyed it especially because our school SATS at one time were questions based around Watership Down. I'm looking for something to read other than Kerrang! and OXM Magazine's so I might pick it up again. Has anyone read A Series Of Unfortunate Events?

I Have Watched The Film :)

Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy written early in the career of William Shakespeare about two teenage "star-cross'd lovers" whose untimely deaths ultimately unite their feuding families. It was among Shakespeare's most popular plays during his lifetime and, along with Hamlet, is one of his most frequently performed plays. Today, the title characters are regarded as archetypal "young lovers".

Romeo and Juliet belongs to a tradition of tragic romances stretching back to Ancient Greece. Its plot is based on an Italian tale, translated into verse as The Tragical History of Romeus and Juliet by Arthur Brooke in 1562, and retold in prose in Palace of Pleasure by William Painter in 1582. Shakespeare borrowed heavily from both, but developed supporting characters, particularly Mercutio and Paris, in order to expand the plot. Believed to be written between 1591 and 1595, the play was first published in a quarto version in 1597. This text was of poor quality, and later editions corrected it, bringing it more in line with Shakespeare's original text.

Now dosen't that sound exiting? What am I reading? Shakespeare - Romeo & Juliet

• 3 weeks later...

The Original Blue Boys - Old Man at Goodison.

It's a pretty good book for a guy that's not even an author, some of the speech is hard to get interested in but the actual facts included are brilliant and I'm enjoying reading it. Like I said reading the actual facts included in the fiction is pretty cool. A nice read - especially for only three quid.

Edited by dark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
About 120 pages into The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Stunning, published both as an adult and childrens book. Just put it down long enough to type this.

Have a look here http://www.booksattransworld.co.uk/thebookthief/

Brilliant book. I read it over summer. I would also recommend this book extremly highly.

I would third that one; it is extraordinary. And if you want to read more of Markus Zusak, I also really enjoyed his earlier novel "I am the Messenger." It's definitely not a masterpiece on The Book Thief's level, but it's still very good.

Another excellent book that you might find in either teens or adults is Tamar, by Mal Peet. That one's about two British special ops who are snuck into Holland in 1944 to aid the Dutch resistance. It won the Carnegie Medal a few years ago for best UK novel of the year for children or (in this case) teens.

Having to read Of Mice and Men in school, which is so bloody dull. I guess you could say that I'm also reading Kerrang!

I have never been a Steinbeck fan - I'm surprised he's required reading in the UK. I always thought of him as writing from a purely American perspective. Anyway, my experience is that most people are either seriously Steinbeck fans, or they're seriously not. There's not much middle ground. Me, I'm definitely not a fan. I had to read probably six or seven Steinbeck novels all through my years in middle school and high school (including OMAM), and the only one out of the whole lot that I really liked was "The Winter of Our Discontent." The rest I could've happily skipped.

Just finished '1602' by Neil Gaiman (Marvel superheroes fighting King James VI and the Spanish Inquisition in the year 1602) and its a dead tie with Watchmen for the best comic book graphic novel :D I've ever read.

1602H4.jpg

(Daredevil as blind troubadour)

Started 'Alias Grace' by Margaret Atwood the other week and was blown away in the first few pages. Couldn't find it the other evening so I picked up 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold and this one has also knocked me sideways. Really stunning book that Peter Jackson has filmed. Can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...