IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

What are the controls like on the new fifa? .. complex or simplified these days?

Fifa 09 looks really good.. but ive not really played the game for a long time (occasional play with friends with the latest release over the yrs) but ive not bought a Fifa series myself since Fifa97!!!

couldnt really stand it even back then .. not into games with combo moves n stuff.. (they still in the game?) .. i get lost.. so instead sit there trying to string nice simple passes together building into attack. only to lose the ball in the final 1/3rd of the pitch for the opponent to just run straight through my team doing a massive array of tricks and pop the ball in the net from 30yds!.. used to right pee me off! .. i dont have the time or the patience to learn combo's n things.. its quite rare that i even open the booklet up on a new game!

I'll stick to the shootem up games and racing games untill they develop some kind of brain powered controller so i just have to think what i want to do and not have to press 5 buttons in combo to do it! :D

What are the controls like on the new fifa? .. complex or simplified these days?

Fifa 09 looks really good.. but ive not really played the game for a long time (occasional play with friends with the latest release over the yrs) but ive not bought a Fifa series myself since Fifa97!!!

couldnt really stand it even back then .. not into games with combo moves n stuff.. (they still in the game?) .. i get lost.. so instead sit there trying to string nice simple passes together building into attack. only to lose the ball in the final 1/3rd of the pitch for the opponent to just run straight through my team doing a massive array of tricks and pop the ball in the net from 30yds!.. used to right pee me off! .. i dont have the time or the patience to learn combo's n things.. its quite rare that i even open the booklet up on a new game!

I'll stick to the shootem up games and racing games untill they develop some kind of brain powered controller so i just have to think what i want to do and not have to press 5 buttons in combo to do it! :D

You can also win without using so much combos, just odont tackle every striker of your enemy already when he´s running, you have to wait for the right moment to take him the ball away when he cannot make a comobo at all...

And if you play on PC and have a gamepad, with your midfielders and strikers it´s enough doing anything with the right stick, you do not have to know exactly what you are doing^^

They haven't really changed the faces much. Howard and Neville are the same player from last season. There dosen't seem to be much progress in this game. It looks and probably feels all the same. The only change is the Champions League imput, which I can live without. La Liga being taken out will drive people away and with no real reason for buying this update I can't see how Pro Evoulution will make progress and money.

Andrew Johnson Still At Everton <_<

I know, Konami said "a complete graphics overhaul" but to be honest the graphics weren't and never were the problem with the lackluster issue of 2008, it was the gameplay which took backwards steps. If you have a HD tele the graphics are fantastic, it is just the pixel rate which has decreased on 2008 since the days of PES 4/5 and 6. Then you have the edit mode which was the worst of all time on 2008 and obviously the much slated online play which has a lot of room for improvement.

Edited by dark

spent the last few days playing fifa 09, awesome! game play has much improved and graphics and detail are superb. adidas live is a cool touch to the game too. read a few reviewers saying fifa has its crown back from pes this year.

if anyone has it and knows how to change squad numbers in manager mode please tell me. i signed moutinho and he went number 2 and hibbo is 11. pissed me off no end

Edited by StevO

I'm unsure whether you can StevO. The same happened to me. I bought Petr Cech for Everton and he went to 2 and when I signed Fabregas he went to 12. Would be good if I could change the squad numbers around, but I've looked around a found nothing.

I looked on Yahoo Answers and people are saying the same:

I've got it on PS3 too and I don't think squad numbers are on it.

I don't know why they've left it out, it sucks really.... I bought Messi and now he's no. 2 and I cant change it.

Plz look at my question on FIFA 09.

It is a weird option to take them out because I hate all my strikers having the number 2 shirt.

I can only talk from a single player view and I don't like Call Of Duty at all. I played it one time at a mates house and I had a go on the multi-player version which was increadably straight-foreward and on my first go I managed to win 4-1. IMO the game isn't that good, but due to all its hype I'm alone on this one. Has anyone got Racing Driver Grid BTW?

944936_20080902_screen001.jpg

944936_20080902_screen004.jpg

All-terrain vehicles are something of a niche interest, but you don't need to care about them in the least to enjoy Pure. All you need is an appreciation for breathtaking environments and intense racing action. In Pure, Black Rock Studio has crafted an accessible, wildly tricked-out game that may feel a bit familiar, but it pulls off its concept so well that you won't mind feeling like you've danced with this lady before.

Also who fanices Pure? :P

anyone still think that COD4 is still the best online game?

I am one of the peopl that has only just x box live even though had an 360 for about 3 years.

Never saw the attraction with it and mates kept telline me to try it.

Finally got it after getting a month for free and decided after 2 days of playing Pro Evo 8 on line that I would keep it and have now got a year paid up.

Also had people going on at me to play COD4 on line. I have played it single player and didn't like it as dont like FPS however I have to agree with you even though I prefer playing football games COD 4 is the best game I have played on line.

Have played fifa 09 and still not sure on it as never been a fifa person. Think I will wait til Pro Evo comes out and go from there

Some really good releases coming to the 360 in just a few weeks. On October 17th Pro Evoulution Soccer 08 and Saints Row 2 will be released. I'm not getting either of the games. As I'm not really into the Gansgsta' Game Market, but Saints does look good for anyone wanting an alternative to Niko and GTA IV. The Official Xbox Magazine gave it an 8/10.

The following weeks will see Fable 2 hit the screens along with Dead Space and MotoGP 2008. Perhaps more so than his work on genre-defining titles, such as Populous and Syndicate, Peter Molyneux has become known for not delivering on promised features for the final retail products of his games. With the release of Lionhead Studios' action role-playing game Fable II just a few weeks away, the designer isn't doing that reputation any favors. Last week, Microsoft said Fable II's oft-touted online co-op mode would not be finished in time for the game's retail release. As a result, the publisher hopes to patch in the mode for North American gamers sometime during the first week of the game's release, though the timing for European co-op remains in limbo. Today, Lionhead had a bit more bad news to report. By way of the studio's official blog, Lionhead community manager Sam Vantilburgh revealed that the Fable II Limited Collector's Edition has been dramatically scaled back from what was previously announced. Due to "supply chain issues," the bundle will no longer included a premium box, the five printed fate cards, or a Hobbe figure. As the collector's edition now stands, it will include the game itself and…a "Making of" DVD. Collector's edition purchasers will also be granted bonus in-game content, including The Hall of the Dead dungeon, a weapon, and Halo-themed Spartan armor and energy sword. As a result of the cuts, the collector's edition has been discounted from $79.99 to $69.99. Hoping to regain a bit of goodwill, Vantilburgh also announced that Lionhead has released a special Fable soundtrack that can be downloaded for free through Sumthing Digital beginning October 6. For more on Fable II, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

MotoGP looks a really interesting game - I've had all the games and really enjoyed them, and this one looks to be the best yet. Progress is definatly made here with this installation. With Capcom and Milestone at the wheel not much can go wrong.

Dead Space, another great game will hit the shelves October 24th like the previous. Horror-Survival-Action was never better. Trapped aboard a city-sized spaceship that's been overrun by horrific aliens, engineer Isaac Clarke does the only thing a video game character knows how to do: He arms himself to the teeth with badass futuristic weaponry and starts to blast his way through a seemingly never-ending wall of alien flesh in the hopes of finding a way out. That's the setup for EA's new sci-fi survival horror game, Dead Space. Announced back in September of last year, the game has actually been in development for more than two years. At E3 2008, EA is showing off a new level and a grisly boss battle, both of which we got to check out a bit early to see how this surprise-filled game is shaping up.

The E3 level comes from roughly the midway point in the game, as Isaac finds himself on the hydroponic deck, where all of the food for the Ishimura crew members is grown. Half of the level has been infested by a strange substance known as "corruption," which is a nasty-looking substance secreted by the necromorph aliens that have invaded the ship, as well as makes the ship a more hospitable place for the aliens to carry on with all their mindless slaughtering and eviscerating. The corruption substance doesn't have a negative effect on Isaac (other than preventing him from running), so your job is to wade into the muck and face down whatever monstrosities are lurking in the corridors of the ship.

Not really gotten that much into the Star Wars games. I played the Lego Version and then went and played on Battlefield 2 and was kinda' impressed but not enough to spend hard earned cash on it. The Lego Series always seems cool, and quite unique, but I don't see the reason behind paying full price for a silly little child-game.

Does anyone play the Burnout Series? I just got hooked again. I'm playing through Paradise after beating all the others and am currently on my A Licence with 50 wins to go till I become an Elite Burnouter (is that a word?) It's basically (for those that dont know) a car racing game in which you drive wrecked cars around the city street-racing. The differance is that you have to Takedown your rivals, you smash them into walls, over fences and into water to try and slow them down, they do the same to you. The pure speed of the game is appealing, top speeds of 300mph and a slow back-marker at a mininal 200 your never going to be cruising in a race. Be sure to fasten your seatbelts, as it's one hell of a ride.

Its a bit old but just got Fight Night 3... was only a fiver off ebay so what the hell....

Had been after this game for ages but was never really sure about spending £40 on a boxing game (usually just into the shooters)

well its a fiver well spent I LOVE IT...

Graphics are spot on, gameplay is dealt with in a way that does away with button bashers and the online play is superb....

One punch KO's are a great thing aswell very rare thery arnt executeble by just pushing a button..

I completely wiped the floor for 12 rounds with my gf thinking i was great with my crapy little boxer taking her on as Ali only to be knocked out with one punch begining og the 12th....

keeps you on your toes and is a good addition to the game.....

anyone fancy a fight

Never been a huge fan of boxing games to be honest. I had Prince Nazeem Boxing years ago and it was ok but I got bored failry quickly.

I'm just really starting to get into Fifa '09. I've always been a Pro Evo fan but thought i'd deviate this year as Pro just isn't improving that much anymore.

Anyway, I'm no just getting to grips with everything, and fuck me its brilliant. The way the game flows is very realisitic and especially the weighting of the ball, it really makes the whole game seem incredibly realisitic. We've come along way since Sensible Soccer, thats for damn sure.

Videogamer.com

It's interesting times in the world of virtual footie. For years Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer series has scored the winning goal in the gameplay stakes, and EA's FIFA franchise has lifted the trophy in the graphics stakes. And for years gamers have, on the whole, considered PES the superior game. But last year something happened. Something happened that was very interesting indeed.

Overall, FIFA 2008 was a better game than PES 2008. It came as somewhat of a surprise to us here at VideoGamer.com. Perhaps it shouldn't have. For a while now EA's money making powerhouse has been creeping up the quality ladder, with solid tweaks to its game engine, functioning online play and a more simulation approach to gameplay. FIFA 09 is the culmination of all of those tweaks. It is the coming together of a game engine now supremely confident that it is the most realistic representation of the game of football the industry has to offer. And it is the best FIFA game ever made.

Why? Because it plays superbly, a more important factor in the game's quality than the new 10 versus 10 online play, the new Adidas Live Season (which imports real world, real time stats every week to keep the game up to date) or the new four season Be A Pro mode.

Despite the fact that you can change the game speed, FIFA plays almost sluggishly. The players are more responsive than in previous efforts, and turn quicker, but if you're not controlling a speed demon - Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi, for example, there's absolutely zero chance of you putting clear blue sky between your heels and the defender's hacking big toe. Sure, you might beat a man - using one of the many tricks assigned to the right analogue stick - but you won't get away from him.

What you will do is immediately notice the new player physics which make shoulder barges and 'turfing' opponents off the ball a realistic reality. For example, if Chelsea sledgehammer Didier Drogba chases for a ball with lightweight Manchester United left back Patrice Evra, he'll out muscle his opponent - fairly, if he's appropriately positioned. This doesn't happen all of the time, of course - it's not a guaranteed win - but it feels like it happens when it should. And it's class.

This has an overwhelmingly positive impact on how FIFA plays. More than any game in the series, FIFA 09 makes you think before you shoot. You're forced to craft goal scoring opportunities cautiously, eking out killer through balls only when defenders have been pulled out of position, or players have made penetrating runs (they now raise their hand when calling for a pass, Wayne Rooney style - a useful and realistic visual clue for when to hit through balls). At least that's how it plays out during the first hour or so of a match.

After that, just as in real life, games start to get stretched, players get tired and space begins to present itself. You won't be able to simply wait for this to happen, however. You'll need to react to how your opponent is playing and adjust on the fly, with the excellent new custom team tactics system. Here you'll be able to change tactics on the fly from three overarching types - defensive tactics, attacking build up style and attacking chance creation.

Say, for example, you're 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go. You're probably not going to want to pump players forward, so will instead want to concentrate on keeping possession and controlling the game. Here, quickly switching to the short passing attacking build up style should, assuming you're good enough, carry your team over the finishing line. Your players will position themselves closer when supporting and players further away from the ball will be less likely to make runs. The reward is that you always have close options and can keep the ball on the ground, Arsenal style. But with every tactic there's an associated risk. Here, you must advance the ball with the entire team, and you need a good deal of patience.

The custom team tactics system makes a hell of a difference to advanced FIFA 09 play. The more you play the better you'll get at identifying what tactic your opponent is using, and at deciding which tactic is best to counter that system given the kind of players you've got. It amounts to an easy to use layer of tactics we've yet to see beaten in the genre.

So, like we said, think before you shoot. If all this sounds too much like hard work, then know that you don't have to use custom team tactics to enjoy the game. In fact we suspect most players won't use them, just like most players use default formations when playing.

The custom team tactics system is by far the biggest innovation this year, even more so than the 10 versus 10 online play, which we have yet to test (and fear could end up being total school playground chaos, we'll have to wait and see). All the other new features are tweaks or refinements that don't fundamentally affect the way the game plays. One is the new heading system, which forces you to time when you press the button so that the player times his jump properly, rather than simply press the button at any time and wait for the animations to kick in. Players' weight and momentum is all taken into account here - so expect some meaty collisions. The heading will take a few matches to get used to - you'll jump too early and too late initially - but you'll soon get used to it, and enjoy the added satisfaction it brings to a headed goal or a flick on. And it might even have some surprising benefits - in one game I played against Tom, I positioned Chelsea winger Joe 'there's a bee hive in my hair' Cole in the box hoping for him to nod in a cross, but instead he spectacularly overhead kicked it into the bottom right hand corner of the goal. I jumped out of the VideoGamer.com sofa for that one I can tell you.

Bar this, it's as you were, at least in comparison to EA's last footie game - the summer's excellent UEFA EURO 2008. The goal celebrations make it in (watching Michael Ballack, for example, do 'The Robot' is as hilarious as it is ridiculous). The Be A Pro mode will keep players who like to go it alone entertained across four seasons (a tad short for our liking), with the ultimate goal of getting called up for your national team. You can of course, take your created player online and test your skills against the rest of the world. The commentary is solid. The graphics are stunning, when it's in wide view and in-game. During replays and close ups it's not so good. EA still hasn't managed to nail football players on the head - most look like hulking apes just as they did in the last game, with low foreheads and beady eyes. At least now they don't look fat though - one of our main graphical gripes with 2008's effort. And EA was clearly staying up late with the rest of the football world on transfer deadline day. Robinho's at Manchester City and Berbatov is at Manchester United.

We've hardly a complaint to make. But we do have them, and most are age old FIFA annoyances. Players will still hilariously fall over themselves for no apparent reason, falling victim it seems to the game's excellent physics. Crossing is a bit ropey, as it has been for a while. Yellow cards can sometimes feel like they're dished out too long after the offending foul. And to get a free kick in the first place you need to be physically assaulted, rather than fouled. But apart from those minor issues, we can't help but be incredibly impressed by FIFA 09.

We had worried that FIFA 09 was going to end up like EURO 08 with a Premiership skin. Luckily for us, we were wrong. Like we said, the best FIFA game ever made. Over to you Konami.

According to Gamesindustry.biz EA boss John Riccitiello has confirmed at William Blair & Company's 28th Annual Growth Stock Conference that the next Need for Speed game will be called Need for Speed Undercover. Riccitiello also revealed his disappointment on last year's Need for Speed ProStreet. "I thought it was an okay game, in terms of gameplay. It's not good. But who wanted ProStreet? It was a sort of made up, put numbers on the side of your car and pretend to drive your Ferrari where? Or your Porsche where?"

Need for Speed Undercover will have a strong mission structure that Riccitiello has compared to the film, The Transporter. "For those of you who ever saw movies like The Transporter - it's sort of a cult classic among people with a B-movie mentality, which fits me perfectly. I liked it. I apologize. For those of you with no taste, and you liked it too, we can go have a Schlitz after this." The development cycle has also been changed for Need for Speed titles, there will now be two teams working on the franchise and they will be working on a 24 month cycle. "Last summer we added head count and split the team in two, so now there are two teams on a 24 month cycle. And this is sort of their first 16-and-a-half month game...Because we didn't do it far enough ago to give us a full two year dev cycle."

Is it going to be a free roaming like Most Wanted and Underground 2? Will you still be able to tune the cars performance or its body? Will you be racing against other racers cause that's what NFS has always been?

I was really let down by carbon and prostreet. this game will need some stellar reviews for me to pick it up. I hope they're gonna make it simmilar to NFS Most Wanted.I mean with the great story and good ending.

@Jamie - My apologies.

Saints Row returns to us in a matter of days. Saints Row 2 follows up from the second. Your character (who can now be female, and the character customization has had a completely upped) wakes from the ten-year coma caused by the ending of the first game. The Saints have fallen and are now back at the bottom of the ladder, with new gangs holding the top slots. This for me is what I want to see in a game. I mean, its got a kinda' cheesy story-line but it will be amazing to see. I like the fact that you can be male or female. I will be male obviously, but it makes the game sound as if we can actually customize things like never before.

Some changes:

-There will now be nine upgradeable crubs instead of four basic ones. For me this was a must, the original was too plain. Needed something new.

-More vehicles, including helicopters.

-Redone graphics. A comparison of the Carnales drug dealer from the first game and his appearance in the new one was astounding.

-New acitivites and abilities. Looking like GTA all of a sudden, which is kinda' a good thing.

-Whole new character creation. You'll customize the character animations and voice (no more near-silent protagonist), as well as getting the appearance down to the tip of the nose.

-New enemy gangs. So far, the only confirmed one is the Sons of Samedi, a Jamaican group that has green as their gang flag colors. Drugs gotta be included here :P

Despite all the cool stuff you can do in Saint's Row, I'm actully looking forward to checking out the economy system more then anything. I really like that you can buy clothes, cribs, property and you can form your own gang, have your own team. If fact that's the main reason why I favor games like Scarface over GTA. The problem for me is that at some point in the game, you'll buy everything there is to buy and run out of things to spend money on, so it feels pointless to keep dealing drugs or doing missions. What I hope to see in a free roaming game is something like a steady bill you have to pay, a steady reason as to why I would want to keep working for money.

Take GTAIV for example. Even after you beat the game you still have to, as long as your playing the game, maintain your friendship with the people you meet in the game if you still want acess to whatever it they have to offer. You'll have to take them out on a night or day on the town where you always have to pay. In short, it cost money to stay friends with that person. I really liked that but GTA does it on such a small scale, I want something bigger. Like maybe every week I got to pay my gang so they would stick around, or rent on the house or I get kicked out. It's gotta cost money to maintain a drug business. In short, I would like incentive to want to keep playing the game after I beat it.

Just been having another few plays on FIFA 09. I still think its a brilliant game. I'm in my first season, with Everton using most of the transfer fund making my fitness coach at level 8 and buying Petr Cech from Chelsea and Ricardo Carvalhio, also from Chelsea. I've managed to beat Arsenal, 3-0 and Liverpool, 3-2 in the league but have lost points losing to Stoke City, 1-0 and Middlesbrough 4-3. I need to concentrate more and just play for the full 90. I'm happy with the game and most of the time it is really challenging, I do get the odd 8-0 win, but that's only when your flying on your A Game.

Can't wait for Dead Space. The new survival horror game coming the the 360. It's a game set in space. Your on-board a haunted spaceship, and you need to get off. It's an alternative to the normal horrors that are usually in a house full of zombies. This seems to include better setting and looks to me like it could challenge Half Life.

943338_20081013_screen001.jpg

943338_20081013_screen004.jpg

943338_20081015_screen006.jpg

Seriously can't wait for this game to be released. Anyone else picking it up?

Never heard of it before but looking at that it looks quite good so might have to have a look at getting it.

Pick up my copy of PES 2009 today from Blockbusters (well my wife does) so looking forward to that.

I went and traded in all my old ps2 stuff that not played for about 2 years (had the consol 2 extra controllers 2 memory cards and about 35 games inlcuding things like the eye toy and real world golf) and managed to get £77 store credit for it which paid for PES 2009 and will also pay for Gears or War 2 when it comes out.

Then just got to ask for Call of Duty for xmas and I am set

Just going back to the MotoGP game, which is due for release on the 24th October this year. It looks a really good game through gameplay, but also through gameplay. The racing games are always going to have the better graphics, but MotoGP is some exception. Brilliant looking game.

945664_20081015_screen001.jpg

945664_20081015_screen004.jpg

945664_20081015_screen006.jpg

945664_20081015_screen007.jpg

Can't wait for Dead Space. The new survival horror game coming the the 360. It's a game set in space. Your on-board a haunted spaceship, and you need to get off. It's an alternative to the normal horrors that are usually in a house full of zombies. This seems to include better setting and looks to me like it could challenge Half Life.

943338_20081013_screen001.jpg

943338_20081013_screen004.jpg

943338_20081015_screen006.jpg

Seriously can't wait for this game to be released. Anyone else picking it up?

Fuk Tht Shit...

It Looks Well Scary.

and Ya No Wat Im Like Martin !