IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

HL2 I enjoyed. CS I didn't play other than a quick go. Supposed to be a HL 3 eventually, but don't know if it was cancelled.

Farcry was my favourite.

Counter strike was awesome, played it more when we had a internet cafe by mine when internet speeds were a bit lame so LAN was the dogs*******. Really don't see why people got boners for COD when these games are much older and more enjoyable.

Only played Far cry on PS3, weren't a big fan.

Just tried the Batman game. It's not set up for pc at all. The keybinds don't recognise side buttons on the mouse. There are no 7.1 options that I can see and video has no deep editing facility. I don't seem to be able to change the controls now from the original set up. Console and pc game play is very different, yet the manufacturers seem to be console orientated. The game seems to do what it wants during a fight. Basically all I have to do is keep pressing fire to kill all the bad guys lol. A bit cheesy from what I'm used to.

Mate of mine used to build PC's (still does, mentioned before)...he says if it wasn't for dick'eds crackin the codes and downloading illeagal versions of the game, PC would be huge. Problem is, software companies realise they make a shed load more money on consoles, so they're now targeting that market instead. There's no question PC's are miles ahead of consoles; consoles don't stand in comparison.

Its why soo many people cried when Crysis2 was being realised on console as well because they knew it would be a modified port. But as he said, the biggest PC game of a generation (his words not mine) didn't make them a lot of money because someone managed to get it online just days before its realise.

The genuine PC gamers have missed out big style imo. As a result of the bellends who ruined it by downloading the pirates.

I'd love to get into PC gaming but just don't see the point (yet)

Mate of mine used to build PC's (still does, mentioned before)...he says if it wasn't for dick'eds crackin the codes and downloading illeagal versions of the game, PC would be huge. Problem is, software companies realise they make a shed load more money on consoles, so they're now targeting that market instead. There's no question PC's are miles ahead of consoles; consoles don't stand in comparison.

Its why soo many people cried when Crysis2 was being realised on console as well because they knew it would be a modified port. But as he said, the biggest PC game of a generation (his words not mine) didn't make them a lot of money because someone managed to get it online just days before its realise.

The genuine PC gamers have missed out big style imo. As a result of the bellends who ruined it by downloading the pirates.

I'd love to get into PC gaming but just don't see the point (yet)

I think the market is bigger on the consoles, but there are still millions of pc gamers.

I don't know if you read, but I've just finished building a pc that's cost me over 2k, with the sole intention of gaming. There are lots like me, so the pc gaming industry is still healthy, and worthwhile. Many manufacturers are building what is considered as 'cross platform' games now, but unfortunately they're not offering the pc gamer what he needs in his side of the deal. Keyboard gamers are used to certain keys, as you may know, and in the days were you can buy mice with 12 side buttons, to not allow a single side button in the option menu is rediculously behind the times, and insensitive to the needs of the pc gamer. It's like a console pad with no joy stick. Also, pc's have much better facilities for gaming than consoles do on both video and audio, and again they fail. My sound comes from either my Edirol UA25 or my Logitech G930 phones, both of which are high end in their own right, so to not offer deeper editing facilities for 7:1, or video is a bit lame. It's not like the technology isn't there. It's been around for years. It basically means you have a Rolls Royce system and can't take advantage, which sux big time.

as you say avin, you spent £2k to make a pc that will far surpass any console out there, but people can go and buy an xbox or ps3 for a couple of hundred quid. the quality wont be as good, but its just easier for a lot of people, and at a tenth of the cost it reaches a bigger market.

im a big ps3 fan, i love having the lads round with a few beers and get fifa on, or call of duty in 3d, its just easy fun at relative low cost.

but mostly, i use my ps3 for bluray and have it hooked upto my cinema sound, hopefully throw a projector and 3d adapter in pretty soon to add to the fun.

but ive seen guys on the home cinema scene who run the whole system through a pc, and you just cant compare it to anything else.

as you say avin, you spent £2k to make a pc that will far surpass any console out there, but people can go and buy an xbox or ps3 for a couple of hundred quid. the quality wont be as good, but its just easier for a lot of people, and at a tenth of the cost it reaches a bigger market.

im a big ps3 fan, i love having the lads round with a few beers and get fifa on, or call of duty in 3d, its just easy fun at relative low cost.

but mostly, i use my ps3 for bluray and have it hooked upto my cinema sound, hopefully throw a projector and 3d adapter in pretty soon to add to the fun.

but ive seen guys on the home cinema scene who run the whole system through a pc, and you just cant compare it to anything else.

What screen are you running the 3d on? I was under the impression that the refresh rate had to be very high for 3d. I ended up ignoring this 240hz refresh rate thing and buying a 27" inch HD monitor instead. My video card will certainly offer 3d though I've not tried it yet as I have only bog standard cinema 3d glasses.

I've used it only on 50" so far on tv, but when the projector comes it will be about 88" with the throw distance I'll have.

So if it's a tv, I don't suppose your refresh rate will be that high will it?

I'm trying to find out if the myth that you need a 240hz refresh rate to run 3d is true or just marketing bollox.

Yeah, I read that myself, but it's 2 years old. If Ste is running a 50" tv, then for it to be a 240hz tv at that size would cost a fair few quid, so I'm presuming he's probably running with a 60hz - 120 max.

Mine runs at around 60hz. It's 27" HD and 2ms so good for what I need.

I just can't check it without glasses, and not going to buy glasses on the off chance as they're not cheap.

The myth was debunked two years ago wink.png

120hz should be fine for 3d, 240 seems like a marketing gimmick

Did you buy Batman or the demo? Do you have a controller ?

I only have 60hz.

I have both Batman games including the new one, but I tried them last night and got fed up with the movement. I just can't get in to 3rd person. It just seems so uninvolved. No controller, no, though I have an xbox with them upstairs, but never used it. Bought it for daughter last Christmas.

Edited by Avinalaff

Untitled1-3.jpg

Untitled-17.jpg

These are the games I have on Steam.

I have about the same again in physical games, once I decided I didn't want to use Steam if I didn't have to. Basically not using Steam means I can sell them if I want to. Buying from Steam means the games always belong to Steam. If they want to cancel your account, they can.

I had a dispute with them once, when a payment I made to them was messed up by Paypal. I created a dispute, because they didn't give me the game I paid for. They cancelled my account, together with over £1000 worth of games in it, and there was nothing I could do. I had to wait until they realised the problem was at their end before I got my games back.

Read the user agreement. It is not good.

Yeah, I read that myself, but it's 2 years old. If Ste is running a 50" tv, then for it to be a 240hz tv at that size would cost a fair few quid, so I'm presuming he's probably running with a 60hz - 120 max.

Mine runs at around 60hz. It's 27" HD and 2ms so good for what I need.

I just can't check it without glasses, and not going to buy glasses on the off chance as they're not cheap.

the 50" 3D is a friend of mines, hence why i want the projector to get upto 88" (im a big fan of oneupmanship)

ive no idea about hz to be honest, its something ive never looked at.

i do know with 3d the size does make a lot of difference. like if its small screen (like home tv size) the 3d appears to go deep into your screen, where if its theathre size it appears to come out of the screen, like being at a cinema. the difference from 50" to 80"+ is massive, to my eyes anyway.

That's some list.

I'm enjoying Arkham City so far smile.png

It has some nice features, and the vibe is ok. I just can't live with the controls. It's like typing with one finger. Nothing flows. "Tap this button twice, plus this button, and then press shift" etc etc. It's probably much better on console to be fair to it.

just ordered deus ex..assassin's creed 2(mine broke and i love it)..far cry 2(never played it and noticed it got mentioned before and it was only a few quid) and dead rising 2(got the 1st one and completely spaced on the 2nd

Far cry 1 is a wonderful game too. It's one of the few games I play time and again on single player. If you like beautiful scenery, you will love the Far Cry games. FC 1 is a paradise island, that is enchanting to be inside, and FC 2 is Africa, with some of the best graphics ever produced in a game.

FC1 is Jack Carvers journey to find Val, amidst soldiers, evil scientists, volcanos, and mutant monsters. FC2 is a merc in Africa working for both sides. Awesome games. You can get FC1 on Ebay for a few quid or even Steam for less than a fiver. Even though it was 2004 it is still great graphics and well worth it. The game that started all others if you like. You need to apply the patches to at least 1.33 for Windows 7 and Directx 11 etc. If you play online, you'll need to register an account on the Ubi.com website.

There is a Farcry 3 coming next year which is expected to blow the socks off any game that has come before it.