Video Game Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My seven year old granddaughter Millie was teaching me to play "Subway Surfer" on her new Christmas tablet yesterday and was highly amused that the best score I could muster was fifty. I told her I'd

Nothing will ever top Goldeneye on N64, best FPS ever IMO

He certainly has earned it. Sounds like you've raised a good lad there mike.

Posted Images

Tired mate? :lol:

fucking exhausted! averaging 5 hours sleep the last 3 weeks bar 2 nights I got 8... Plus little one is 2 today and so we were up late preparing the room for her to come down to, and have a party for 30 to prepare for tomorrow :)

Edited by Matt

There was less time between the ps1 and ps2 release..its longer between systems as it goes on

Because they've already started 6 and 7 by the time 5 is released. Disposable systems, made to fail. All they are is computers, a better idea would be to have one system you can upgrade with new technologies but you don't have to throw it away and buy a whole new one every 2 years.

Planned obcellessence they called it. I hate it. I want products that will last.

Just looked and you're right Marco. The actual release dates are 5-7 years between for Nintendo and PlayStation consoles. I was fooled by the marketing I guess. I bought Psone and a year later was hearing the buzz about ps2, but I guess it was just vaporware at that point. By the time it actually came out it had been a while.

My bad

• 4 months later...

The promotional artwork for Horizon Zero Dawn is pretty great.

thXzC8E.jpg

a friend of mine works for Sony, the testing team for a lot of Playstation games is in Liverpool, this was a little nod towards them apparently, but they did the same for Newcastle.

Anyone played the Wildlands Beta? going to be a good game this, although I fear it will become exactly like The Division: Great at first then slowly dies .

• 4 weeks later...

Quite possibly... Nintendo has been long associated with the 6 to 10 year olds.

The Snes was its last console that seemed to have a foothold with teenage gamers and older... Mario kart and it's ability to beat the mega drive graphically in games like Street fighter 2 gave it an edge. They then spent far too much time on those ridiculously long kiddy adventure games.

The playstation changed the landscape forever.

My gaming evolution was this:-

Atari 2600

Spectrum 48k

Spectrum 128k

Sega master system

Atari ST

Playstation

Platstation 2

Xbox 360/PC

Since then..... not had the time!

erm....

ad_215738781.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&st

• 2 months later...

Spent the last couple of days scouring the net for a new gaming PC for Josh, we'd decided on this one...

http://www.ebuyer.com/749684-stormforce-typhoon-vr-gaming-pc-7260-5198

...but it's a monster and when we measured up the space under his desk it would've stuck out too much so probably going with this...

http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/gaming/y900-series/IdeaCentre-Y900/p/90DD009WUK

£100 more with similar spec (though "only" 2TB storage), though I can get £55 of that back by using a cashback site.

The Lenovo looks like a great setup but add a decent set of headphones and monitor and you're pushing £2k.

The memory isn't an issue, you can always add more if he runs out (which would be a challenge). The two SSD drives will make it super quick, RAM too, excellent graphics card. But you'll need a 4K monitor to get the value of that setup, it's a waste otherwise

The Lenovo looks like a great setup but add a decent set of headphones and monitor and you're pushing £2k.

The memory isn't an issue, you can always add more if he runs out (which would be a challenge). The two SSD drives will make it super quick, RAM too, excellent graphics card. But you'll need a 4K monitor to get the value of that setup, it's a waste otherwise

Thanks Matt, he knows he needs a monitor upgrade; his budget is about £1800 in all but I can always sub him a bit if he needs it, he's earned it as you know.

Thanks Matt, he knows he needs a monitor upgrade; his budget is about £1800 in all but I can always sub him a bit if he needs it, he's earned it as you know.

i know :) my only message would be that doesn't matter what's in the box if your screen and headphones can't make the most of it. I'd even go so far as to splash on a gaming mouse and keyboard

Well worth considering Mike, it's more or less the same output for a few hundred less actually gets top reviews for high end gaming and not costing the earth

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-aurora-r5-desktop/pd?oc=d00awr527&awc=7671_1498508923_f80a77687ae3a5c409f9e28c8b51cc50&CID=289229&LID=5548088&DGC=AF&DGSeg=DHS&ACD=2397230241616840

Well worth considering Mike, it's more or less the same output for a few hundred less actually gets top reviews for high end gaming and not costing the earth

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-aurora-r5-desktop/pd?oc=d00awr527&awc=7671_1498508923_f80a77687ae3a5c409f9e28c8b51cc50&CID=289229&LID=5548088&DGC=AF&DGSeg=DHS&ACD=2397230241616840

Thanks for that Paul, will have a look. Actually just did, adding in the spec he wants pushes it up to £1353 but certainly worth considering :).

Not entirely sure Matt, he's got around 150 games on Steam but really not sure what he's on most, I'll ask him later.

I only play 1-2 games, the one I play the most my PC is way overpowered for so don't get the most out of the hardware. The other, I'm just short of full spec on but still looks fantastic. Might help identify which setup to go for

I only play 1-2 games, the one I play the most my PC is way overpowered for so don't get the most out of the hardware. The other, I'm just short of full spec on but still looks fantastic. Might help identify which setup to go for

OK so mostly roll playing like Assassins Creed/Fallout; shoot-outs like Counterstrike/Overwatch plus things like Open Worlds and Survival.

(That's all Greek to me :unsure:)

OK so mostly roll playing like Assassins Creed/Fallout; shoot-outs like Counterstrike/Overwatch plus things like Open Worlds and Survival.

(That's all Greek to me :unsure:)

Then he really needs to invest in the monitor and speakers to get the most out of the games and rig

OK so 4K monitor delivered; gaming and video absolutely astonishing clarity....but! Ordinary internet there's a really noticeable lag in the mouse/curser movement, really really annoying. Seems to be a common issue having googled but none of the suggested solutions have worked thus far. Josh has reconnected his old one because it has no issues handling the new PC, if I had any hair I'd be pulling it out :dry:.

OK so 4K monitor delivered; gaming and video absolutely astonishing clarity....but! Ordinary internet there's a really noticeable lag in the mouse/curser movement, really really annoying. Seems to be a common issue having googled but none of the suggested solutions have worked thus far. Josh has reconnected his old one because it has no issues handling the new PC, if I had any hair I'd be pulling it out :dry:.

Problem sorted, thanks for all the helpful advice :dry:.

:D

In the late 1970's I won an Atari game system in a 'caption competition' in Golf World magazine. It had the 'bleep bleep' tennis game and one involving tanks in a maze. The problem was that one of the controls didn't work very well so whoever got it always lost. My two sons very quickly lost interest and I didn't have any anyway. I think we still have it in the loft somewhere.

In the late 1970's I won an Atari game system in a 'caption competition' in Golf World magazine. It had the 'bleep bleep' tennis game and one involving tanks in a maze. The problem was that one of the controls didn't work very well so whoever got it always lost. My two sons very quickly lost interest and I didn't have any anyway. I think we still have it in the loft somewhere.

you could probably sell that for a nice penny on ebay

thought it was ISP related. Glad to hear it's all sorted though.

What's he playing?

No idea Matt, he's out at the mo; last I saw he was getting pissed at an F1 game that wasn't letting him put on wet tyres for qualifying (recent one that his old PC couldn't handle). Gaming wasn't a problem, it was just laggy when he was on the net.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Missus got me a PS4 and a top of the line gaming chair Fifa 18 Crash Bandicoot trilogy etc but I downloaded Darksiders 2 as part of the two monthly "free" download games

Fuck me it's a big game every time I think I must be near the end more shit happens, really enjoying it though like a cross between Red Dead Nightmare and Tombraider 

Going to buy Modern Warfare WW2 next I think 

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Looking to upgrade my CPU and GPU in the next couple of weeks, so I can actually play PUBG without it looking like Duke Nukem. Gonna cost a bit mind you :unsure: 

Old man's into Battlefield can't say I've played it enough tbh I'm more of a COD fan, cooler than you Matt 😉

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Looking to upgrade my CPU and GPU in the next couple of weeks, so I can actually play PUBG without it looking like Duke Nukem. Gonna cost a bit mind you :unsure: 

Just bought a 256gb SSD. Got a 10 year old desktop on Vista.  Hoping it will run much quicker... need windows 10. 

49 minutes ago, aaron said:

Anyone play PUBG? really enjoying it on xbox now they have patched the 2 or 3 crashes per game. Only ever won one match though!

I've only had one go on PC, but my rig isn'tt good enough to run it at a high enough quality, hence the upgrade. I've watched quite a few streams from my favourite streamer, and it's really good fun, sometimes down right intense, to watch.