IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

Got my xbox back on Wednesday.

It was repaired and not replaced but according to the sheet I got back they replaced the motherboard and the driver so guessing thats pretty much all that is in there.

Also got 1 months free online play as I coulnt use my xbox for 2 weeks which is good as I used my old one during that time

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!

--

I'm playing FFVIII, finally. Enjoying most of the game, but parts of it really irk me. I gave up on it a few times before because of those, but this time my brother and I are splitting the drudgery (namely drawing all that goddamn magic to junction from various enemies) so it's easier to bear. Still, I hate when games add in repetitive bullshit to soak up more time they can pass off as "gameplay" - RPGs are bad enough with all the leveling and collecting items and running back and forth and such, but FFVIII is one of the worst offenders that I can still call a great game on the whole. We're somewhere in the second disc at the moment, if anyone is interested.

We attempted to play Vagrant Story earlier, but ended up shelving that one. It has a cool story (I read a synopsis after putting the game down) and some interesting mechanics, but the battle system can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Particularly in how you need to train up your weapons against certain types of enemies to do any real damage (meaning they start out nearly useless and still will be each time you encounter a new type of enemy), or how if you're having a tough time against a particular foe the risk meter will end up sky high and the higher it is the more useless you become. We ran into some sort of standard enemy that kept killing us (we couldn't do decent damage to it with weapons, and it kept healing up from magic damage. After dying several times in a row, we figured it wasn't worth forcing ourselves through, despite its cool points.

Guest efctaxi

I was fortunate enough to have a friend build me a gaming pc ..... for free :)

It had a 3870x2 graphics card ( one of the best ) and a 1200 watt power supply , which were only on loan untill he found alternatives . 500gig HD , Dual core cpu and a gorgeous case .

Yesterday , I had to let him have them back , and he put a 550watt supply in and a brand new 8400gs card . I'm still thrilled about the pc , but after playing Cod4 / FC2 etc etc with the 3870x2 for about 4 months , I'm absolutely gutted to see them go lol :(

It was like driving a Ferrari , and being left with a Mondeo lol :lol:

Caining Fifa 09, I started as Everton, bought Moutinho, Altintop, Carlos Vela, Muntari, Heitinga and Anderson. Won the champs league, the league, the super cup, the fa cup, the carling cup and the community shield 2 years running now. Sold Yakubu for £40,000,000 :D

Anyone know how to get our third kit on it? Do i need to go online to acquire it?

I haven't linked up my online yet because I hate the new dashboard wanna keep my old one :angry:

@Regulator

FIFA 09 is way too easy, I am playing on World Class mode at the moment and beating teams 4-0 each week. I played Chelsea last at Stamford Bridge and beat them 5-1, its not much fun when there’s no challenge. I just hope that Legendary doesn’t get too easy.

I’ve been with Everton for five seasons now and having good success

1- Premiership

2- Premiership, FA Cup, Champions Leage

3- Champions League, FA Cup, Carling Cup

4- Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup

5- Premiership, Carling Cup, Champions League

I moved onto my sixth season with Everton and the game broke after Week 11 when I beat Wigan Athletic 2-0. So I’m back on a new game in my first season. Everton four clear points at the top. Yakubu with 20 goals, White with 13.

Didn’t sell Yakubu, ever. Was just too good, but I did sell Tim Howard for £20 million, replaced him with David James. Great throws.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought Fallout 3 and fuck me its amazing. Been playing it for about 2 weeks and feel like i'm barely scratching the surface. Anyone else play this game? I would recommend it if not.

And in regards to Fifa (as in darks comments above) Legendary mode does start to get harder but the real challenge is playing with weaker teams. The most fun is taking a team from league 1 or 2. And with everton in manager mode I almost always sell Yakubu. He is good but doesn't really improve a huge huge huge amount. I am currenltly playing with Ibrahimaivc and Hunteerlar up front. Zlatan is incredible in the game, especially after a few season. He is now up to 99 for me. Crazyness.

I play Fallout 3 mate. I really like it and can see that it is a huge step up from Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. The RPG works better set in the future and the whole area does fit into the storyline, the world after 'The Great War' I don't know where your up to Jamie so I won't say too much, I've just finished my quest so I'm just wandering around the Capital Wasteland. I'm looked for someone to sell me a gun too, I'm running low on those things I'm having to kill the rodents with a baseball bat.

I'm at Level 8 and going to get back into playing, it's been about a week since I last had a good go on it, there's just so much to do that it does feel like your only scratching the surface. I hope your enjoying your time with it :) Well worth £40.

And as for FIFA I'm now on Ledgendary. I've managed to make it three scrappy wins from three against Wolves (Cup), Wigan and Manchester City. It's really getting hard and the three wins have all been 1-0. Yakubu may be on his way in the January window, I don't think he has many more seasons to go and with a £40 million price tag he could be used for a big investment.

My latest signing was Owen Hargreaves, needed a replacement after selling Van Der Meyde.

I'm not very far at all. Only had time to play the odd little bit here and there. Just encountered the first robots which probably shows how early on in the game I am. barley met any other people yet, only one woman who wanted some bullets. At the moment I think that I am just being introduced to all the different type of enemy's that the game has to offer. The scope of the game is just incredible though.

Back to fifa, if you sell Yak then buy Ibrahimivic, he is simply incredible. Pacy, very strong, brilliant at finishing, very good at free kicks. You won't regret it. I just sold Yobo for 80m. I had level 10 on defensive training and he became the best defender in the game (somehow!). He re-financed my entire squad though which was very handy!

Will do mate. I'm gonna go on later and have a few games so I will look out for Zlatan in the window :)

You are early on if you have just encountered the robots, they don't put up a good fight if you keep your distance from them it's the molerats that always seem to cause me damage. They always seem to come in two's and are bloody fast, be sure to hit them and keep running. There are people in the main cities. The wasteland is full of danger and raiders so there is no need to be out there. Raider can be a real pain in the arse when they see you. If you want to get the game going then follow the main quest in your Pip-Boy 3000, it should tell you to head over to Megaton.

EDIT: Has anyone got FEAR 2? If so what do you think of it? I'm totally un-decided if I want it, it looked so good until the trailers, now its looks really meh. <_<

Edited by dark

Resident Evil 5, known in Japan as Biohazard 5, is the seventh installment in the Resident Evil survival horror video game series for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It was developed and published by Capcom. Capcom officially announced Resident Evil 5 on July 20, 2005 and it was released on March 5, 2009 in Japan and is scheduled for release on March 13, 2009 in North America and Europe.

Will anyone be getting? I was thinking of doing until I heard that you couldent run and shoot at the same time. You had to stop still and then aim/shoot. It seems a bit wacky that and could prove hard on Legendary mode with a swarm of African zombies milling towards you. The graphics look top notch from the adverts and it could prove to be a good game. It would be a release day purchase for me, I'm going to wait what critics and people think of it. It's like FEAR, I was going to get it up until the last minute.

I haven't bought a game since around Autumn 2008. I need to get both Mirrors Edge and Tomb Raider Underworld finished before I can move on. I think I need some more quality time with Lara...

@Aaron - Didn't you have Underworld? If so, out of intrest where are you up to on it? Intrested to know because I think we both bought it at around the same time.

Guest efctaxi
Will do mate. I'm gonna go on later and have a few games so I will look out for Zlatan in the window :)

You are early on if you have just encountered the robots, they don't put up a good fight if you keep your distance from them it's the molerats that always seem to cause me damage. They always seem to come in two's and are bloody fast, be sure to hit them and keep running. There are people in the main cities. The wasteland is full of danger and raiders so there is no need to be out there. Raider can be a real pain in the arse when they see you. If you want to get the game going then follow the main quest in your Pip-Boy 3000, it should tell you to head over to Megaton.

EDIT: Has anyone got FEAR 2? If so what do you think of it? I'm totally un-decided if I want it, it looked so good until the trailers, now its looks really meh. <_<

I played FEAR 2 Demo and it was short but cool .

Heard some great things about it , and will deffo get it once I can spare the cash :)

Will anyone be getting? I was thinking of doing until I heard that you couldent run and shoot at the same time. You had to stop still and then aim/shoot. It seems a bit wacky that and could prove hard on Legendary mode with a swarm of African zombies milling towards you. The graphics look top notch from the adverts and it could prove to be a good game. It would be a release day purchase for me, I'm going to wait what critics and people think of it. It's like FEAR, I was going to get it up until the last minute.

I haven't bought a game since around Autumn 2008. I need to get both Mirrors Edge and Tomb Raider Underworld finished before I can move on. I think I need some more quality time with Lara...

@Aaron - Didn't you have Underworld? If so, out of intrest where are you up to on it? Intrested to know because I think we both bought it at around the same time.

Nope res evil 5 is bollocks, i played the demo.

Is underworld tomb raider? if so yeah ive got it, dont go on it much anymore though, more into fifa at present moment. I havent a clue where im upto haha

Urgh 'Will anyone be getting?' terrible grammar. Apologies people.

As for Underworld I'm only playing so that I can have it completed. I don't want to have it go to waste on my shelf so I'm doing it 100% while the story is fresh in my mind. I'm up to Xibala, which is halfway through. It's getting better for me but it just seems that there is puzzle after puzzle. It's very dull. I'm going to buy another game soon when it's done and dusted.

Resident Evil is not going to be an investment of mine, I've heard too much bad stuff about it thats put me off. If anyone does get it please tell me what they think, it will be intresting to see if there is any positives from it - I've done too many serious game at the moment so I'm going for the light-hearted Banjo Kazooie - Nuts & Bolts.

FEAR will be coming sometime in the future too.

ha. Still playing Fallout 3, clocked up 10 hours game time and only just got to Megaton. I completly missed it when I first came into the game and headed very very far south, however now i am in Megaton I have a shit load of money and a pretty heavy arsenal of weapons. Jesus, I went all over the place then I thought that it was getting a little hard and musthave missed it so walked all the way back while being chased down by a pack of super mutants, luckily I made it in one piece. Now i can actually start playing the game!

HAWX

I got this on Sunday (the last game I bought was in October)

It's pretty much a modern fighter flight simulator with impressive graphics and some pretty sweet features. Air war in the year 2021 for some private military company, there are a load of planes to choose from (about 50 I think), jump in coop over Live, upgrades and levelling up for multiplayer that I think carries over to/from single player. It has some ERS thing that shows you a flight path to get your bombs bang on on harder to hit ground targets (and easy ones if you suck) which I think can be used in the air too, though I'm not sure. You can also go ''assistance off'' which makes it so you can stall, can turn easier, and can use more risky maneuvers in flight. It also takes you out of the plane to a fairly cool 3rd person cam that takes a bit of getting used to, but is fairly epic on the aesthetics side.

I'm on Mission 3 and really liking it, would recommend for an enjoyable hour :)

Yeah I knew about the Ultimate team things, its been all over Gamespot in recent weeks. :(

One of the few bright spots in Electronic Arts' earnings report last week was the global sales tally for FIFA 09. The popular soccer sim has sold more than 7.8 million units worldwide for the Wii, DS, PC, Xbox 360, PSP, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation 3. It remains EA Sports' most popular online game, with an average of 1.21 million matches played each day on the 360 and PS3, totaling 141 million to date.

>Gamespot<

Edited by dark

i've been on the new Silent Hill on the PS3. anybody else had a gander? its the most eerie game ive ever played, im 24 but ive been playing covered in goosebumps and almost shat myself. when you start you need to adjust the brightness on your tele to make it darker, i didnt adjust mine and can only see where my flashlight shines as the rest it pretty much too dark to see. anyway, if your into creepy games, shooting weird shit. give it a go.