IGNORED

Name That Team

GoldfishMemory

Thats what I thought Zed cos everyone keeps saying the Arse are the top and we are second for the longest period in the top flight and my nephew had a book with the tables since 1927 and I could not see the arse being out of the top flight.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me the year the the arse were not in the top flight as the person who told me they had not been out of there normally knows a lot about football so would be good to have one over him

I stand corrected ....................just done a search.

History

For more details on this topic, see History of Arsenal F.C..

Arsenal were founded as Dial Square in 1886 by workers at the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich, but were renamed to Royal Arsenal shortly afterwards. They renamed themselves again to Woolwich Arsenal after turning professional in 1891. The club joined the Football League in 1893, starting out in the Second Division, and won promotion to the First Division in 1904. However, the club's geographic isolation resulted in lower attendances than those of other clubs, which led to the club becoming mired in financial problems. In 1913, soon after relegation back to the Second Division, they moved across the Thames to the new Arsenal Stadium in Highbury, north London. They dropped "Woolwich" from their name the following year. Arsenal only finished in fifth place in 1919, but nevertheless were elected to rejoin the First Division at the expense of local rivals Tottenham Hotspur, by reportedly dubious means.

Started off in the 2nd div, AND WERE RELEGATED BACK TO THE SECOND DIV IN 1913.

Edited by toffeelicker

Thanks very much TL. I had always thought that the Arse had been relegated from the top flight and had been told that they had not. When I tried to prove they had been I couldn't find anything in any of the books I had and therefore made myself look like a fool.

Glad its all cleared up.