IGNORED

Fabian Delph

17 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Think Silva is just chatting poop. No way will he be playing a midfield of Gana, Delph, and Gomes. Delph hasnt come to sit on the bench. 

We've been looking for a midfielder long before Gana was going so makes sense that we'd still be after another if he leaves. 

I think there is a deal in place for gana. We buy Delph and a replacement for what we get for gana then that’s good business. Ship out McCarthy, besic and maybe even Morgan then the squad is shaping up 

16 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Holgate is a good player, he was solid under koeman and did well in the championship.  He will be fine off the bench.  Not sure about Gibson or feeney I don’t know enough about them but we have the league and 2 cups.  Standard fixture list.  Our fourth cb last year jags got like 3 apps.

Holgate made mistakes though (as did others) and was only played at RB in the Championship. Its things like the goal in the African game that he does too regularly. Simple stupid errors. 

I do like him but I wouldnt want to trust him as a 3rd choice CB. If Mina or Keane got injured for a period of time then it would leave us very short. I would accept Holgate could be used as the 2nd choice RB and 4th choice CB but thats it.

Delph hasn’t come here without having smoke blown up his arse, he will view himself as a big player, and unless he was sold a vision that he was going to be a regular part of something, I really don’t think he would come if he was told that there was ex amount of players in front of him, there’s changes afoot and for me the obvious is Gana is leaving. 

50 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I think there is a deal in place for gana. We buy Delph and a replacement for what we get for gana then that’s good business. Ship out McCarthy, besic and maybe even Morgan then the squad is shaping up 

I really hope so.

We'd need to keep at least one of them. Hoping McCarthy does enough to get back into the team. 

32 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Holgate made mistakes though (as did others) and was only played at RB in the Championship. Its things like the goal in the African game that he does too regularly. Simple stupid errors. 

I do like him but I wouldnt want to trust him as a 3rd choice CB. If Mina or Keane got injured for a period of time then it would leave us very short. I would accept Holgate could be used as the 2nd choice RB and 4th choice CB but thats it.

Holgate was our best centre half under Koeman albeit with the experience of Williams helping him, better suited to how we play as well as Keane can't cope when he has to push out wide to cover Coleman, far too often players just waltz past him when he's filling in for right back. 

Surprised we've not brought in another experienced player at the back yet. 

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Good article in the echo. Marco quoting Delph is not a replacement for gana and If he goes he will sign a replacement 

Gana’s replacement (hypothetically) is likely to be young and new to the league based on who we’ve been linked to - mainly young African/French lads from the French league. This replacement will have to adjust to the league so I expect Delph will certainly start the season as first choice then it’s his place to keep.

7 minutes ago, c1982 said:

Gana’s replacement (hypothetically) is likely to be young and new to the league based on who we’ve been linked to - mainly young African/French lads from the French league. This replacement will have to adjust to the league so I expect Delph will certainly start the season as first choice then it’s his place to keep.

These are my thoughts as well. I think we'll get a young, energetic replacement that will grow into the role.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

we don't have the CB for 352 matt.  it's 433 or 4231 i believe just like last year.  maybe delph will rotate with gylfi?  can he score?

We’ve not finished the transfer window either. No way Gylfi gets dropped, at least not for Delph  

I’m not hoping for this, but if Delph came to get game time, Gana won’t be dropped (even if he’s sold he’d be replaced apparently) and neither would Gomes, so if he’s to go into midfield there needs to be 5 in the mid. Maybe a really high press 451?! 

anyway hope I’m wrong 

Gilfi needs to be challenged. If we are going to be serious as a team especially in such an important position. If he isn’t doing it he needs to be dropped. For me I think Marco wants a left footer on the right so it would free Bernie up if Charley goes back on the left side. I think Bernard could be one of the stars of the prem this year. 

I wish people would hold off speculating on Delph's state of mind or what conversations they imagine he might have had with Marco or Marcel. None of us know what his motivations for coming to Everton are beyond what he's stated himself. Maybe he wanted to stay in the same area of the country. Maybe he wanted to play for a winning club where he had a better chance to start. Maybe we were the only club willing to offer him the wages he wanted. Maybe some combination of all of these factors and ones I haven't named. His role here will be made clear soon enough.

37 minutes ago, sibdane said:

First Gana, now this? Stop trolling us. :rofl:

I don't think he will tbh, was just something I noticed in the old comments. When he was first linked with us he was a left winger at Leeds. I can only ever remember watching him in the middle (and didn't think he was that special not enough to go to city). 

4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I don't think he will tbh, was just something I noticed in the old comments. When he was first linked with us he was a left winger at Leeds. I can only ever remember watching him in the middle (and didn't think he was that special not enough to go to city). 

Just a bit of banter mate. I liked him at Leeds and Villa and wanted him before city. I think he's a decent player, but his injury record has hindered him quite a bit unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

C made a really good point in another thread that’s made me think. If he’s a stop gap whilst we blood in a promising youngster and Gana is leaving, then it all makes sense 

I think that makes a lot of sense until you realise he’s on 3 year contract so quite a long stop gap, sometimes if you try to replace a player with a replica of what you sold it’s never quite the same. 

It could be that Delph offers a slight change indirection that we might benefit from if we choose to change our style should Gana go. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think that makes a lot of sense until you realise he’s on 3 year contract so quite a long stop gap, sometimes if you try to replace a player with a replica of what you sold it’s never quite the same. 

It could be that Delph offers a slight change indirection that we might benefit from if we choose to change our style should Gana go. 

3 years isn’t a long time though. He’d probably play a season and a half

13 hours ago, Matt said:

3 years isn’t a long time though. He’d probably play a season and a half

Think back to the start of last season - Digne didn’t play the first few games and Baines was used to gradually bed him in. I think Gueye will be replaced with someone with the same skill set and that player will be playing regularly after the first international break. By that time Delph will have played a few and we may have picked up an injury or two so his versatility (I don’t see him playing LB unless LD and LB are both injured) to either sit or play more advanced will give him plenty of game time.

On 20/07/2019 at 07:57, Shukes said:

Marco has already said that he sees him as a different style than Gana. 

I do tho k that once Gana goes, we will replace him, or one of the young lads will get promoted. Delph isn’t a replacement for Gana.

The word replacement is not definitive enough in this case. I understand why Marco said Delph isn’t a replacement for Gana - partly to not undercut the Gana fee and partly because their skill sets are different. However Delph is 100% going to take Gana’s place in the starting XI. So from that perspective Delph is absolutely his replacement. I love Gana, easily my favorite player since he joined us but not concerned about his leaving at this point. Because of Everton’s financial realities I think the best we could hope for with him in the team was 6th/7th due to his style of play. For all of his strengths he did limit the other CMs. Selling Gana is a risk but one worth taking now in year 2 under Marco - i look forward to seeing a more ‘dynamic’ midfield. 

3 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

The word replacement is not definitive enough in this case. I understand why Marco said Delph isn’t a replacement for Gana - partly to not undercut the Gana fee and partly because their skill sets are different. However Delph is 100% going to take Gana’s place in the starting XI. So from that perspective Delph is absolutely his replacement. I love Gana, easily my favorite player since he joined us but not concerned about his leaving at this point. Because of Everton’s financial realities I think the best we could hope for with him in the team was 6th/7th due to his style of play. For all of his strengths he did limit the other CMs. Selling Gana is a risk but one worth taking now in year 2 under Marco - i look forward to seeing a more ‘dynamic’ midfield. 

Cant disagree with any of that damn you! take it somewhere else!

5 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Cant disagree with any of that damn you! take it somewhere else!

I can, we'd be selling a player to a club with CL ambitions and "replacing" him with a player discarded by one. However you spin it (more 'dynamic' midfield, which I think is grasping at straws) it's a backward step for me.

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I can, we'd be selling a player to a club with CL ambitions and "replacing" him with a player discarded by one. However you spin it (more 'dynamic' midfield, which I think is grasping at straws) it's a backward step for me.

Your forgetting a very crucial point he wants to go backwards step or not he doesn’t want to play for us Delph does.

The King is dead long live the King