IGNORED

Donaldinho

Donaldinho

15 May, Season 05-06

Donato Recouber Vascimento:

Following on from signing the player dubbed 'the next Wayne Rooney', Scott Spencer from Oldham Athletic, Everton have signalled their ambitions by agreeing a first option on one of the hottest properties in South American Football, according to 'reports'. [Err.. What reports? We can't find any... ?Ed ]

Donaldinho, a 14 year-old striker who is contracted to Fluminese [Err... would that be Fluminen se? ?Ed ] in the Brazilian Serie A, has already been dubbed the 'new Ronaldinho' and Toffees boss David Moyes has agreed a deal which means Everton can sign him at any point in the next 3 years for a fee believed to be around ?.25M from the cash-strapped Brazilian club.

Real name Donato Recouber Vascimento, the young hot shot scored 7 goals on his début for Fluminese's under 13's back in January 2005. Everton South American scouts were immediately impressed with videos they saw of the player. And last week, alerted by the news that according to Brazilian regulations, Donaldinho was eligible to sign a professional contract with Fluminese for the first time after his 14th birthday, Moyes moved swiftly to beat off competition from fellow Premiership sides, Bolton and Tottenham Hotspur.

But yesterday the Scottish manager had a word of warning for his young star:

 remember when Wayne Rooney turned 18 in October 2003. He could sign a professional contract for longer than 3 years for the first time but we didn't want to pressure him or single him out. We wanted to wait until after the Euros. Why? We wanted to treat him the same as everyone else. We made sure we wouldn't frustrate him and decided to take him off after 55 minutes in a game we were losing 2-0 at Bolton. It was the right thing to do. We didn't want to single him out because he is a passionate lad who wants be treated like everyone else. I knew that much, I not stupid. Though he stormed off down to the bench and the press had a field day, it was the right thing to do. We wanted to treat him the same as everyone else. Protect him. Make sure he wants to play for us. Then just two games later against Manchester City, at home, I took him off at half-time. It was the right thing to do. I the boss and we wanted to protect him and not single him out when the team was doing poorly. If I鏆 left him on it would have created an issue. We didn㦙 want that. We wanted to treat him the same as everyone else. That's why we took him off or kept him on the bench in big games like at home against Manchester United and although we went 0-3 down before half-time, I don㦙 regret it. It was the right thing to do. We hoped Wayne Rooney would stay. We didn't want to single him out in public. Me and Bill both, we didn㦙 want to talk about how much we wouldn㦙 sell him for during the Euros, so we both did and talked about ?0M. We weren㦙 hoping for Chelsea. We were protecting him. Ie always maintained that.?

"It will be the same with young Donald. I will protect him, I don't want to put to much pressure on the lad. You have to remember, he is only 14 years old and I want to make sure we do things right and that he looks back when he's 23, and says 'David Moyes protected me', because you never heard Alex Ferguson talking about Ryan Giggs when he was 14, did you? The same applies here."

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/05-06/news...icle.asp?ID=157

i was under the impression that english teams are not allowed to sign players from brazil who are under 18? if he's 13 now, how could we sign him in the next 3 years? i may be wrong, but definitely sounds like a wind up to me.

...thought the name was too ridiculous..then you look at Brazil's strikers for the world cup and wonder...

Forwards: Ronaldo, Robinho, Ronaldinho, Adriano, Fred( :lol: ).

Incidentally...five strikers Sven, and probably more than two of them are fit...some teams are taking six.