IGNORED

Tt Book Club

Seens Zed hijacked my art of war thread i thought i'd start one properly, started reading football hooligan books a while back from all over the country (I'v read about 10 now) and have had a book on the go since.

Read Joe Royal's autobiography

A book on Dixie but the title escapes me rite now

Scar Tissue - Anthony Keidis (red hot chili peppers) autobiography

The Da Vinci Code.

Anyone got any reccomendations or reviews on your reads?

I'v got a broad spectrum of interests and most things would appeal to me!

mcvicar by himself: escape from high security prisons in his time, prity poor theif but good book, recomend it :)

dreamcatcher: best book ive ever read, if you have seen the film read the book, its better :) (stephen king is the author)

Edited by ianthetoffee

Would agree with LOTR..absolute classic. The five book Hitch Hikers Guide trilogy is another I keep going back to.

Catch 22 is set in WW2 and, stealing from a critic, is...

"..an hilarious, tragic novel in which an American airforce base on a small island off Italy becomes a microcosm of the modern world as it might look to someone dangerously sane."

Demons and Angels - Dan Brown

More of the same as in the Da Vinci Code, but with the Roman Catholic church at the centre of the story in a struggle with the Illiminate.

A cracking mix of fact and fiction woven into a fast paced thriller with more twists and turns than a twisty turny thing.

my rating :D:D:D:D out of 5.

ATB

Mac

More of the same as in the Da Vinci Code, but with the Roman Catholic church at the centre of the story in a struggle with the Illiminate.

A cracking mix of fact and fiction woven into a fast paced thriller with more twists and turns than a twisty turny thing.

my rating  :D   :D   :D   :D   out of 5.

ATB

Mac

With a review like that who wouldnt read it :lol:

Girlfriend In a Coma by Douglas Coupland was one of the best books I have read in the past few years. American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis is good but a bit graphic and disturbing in places, also read his latest 'Lunar Park' which was so so. Just started reading 'The Sorrow Of War' by Bao Ninh because I got it for 25p from the Student's Union along with Supersize Me on DVD, Dune on DVD and a copy of the guardian :D Agree with Lord Of The Rings being great think Jackson made mainly the right choices by removing Tom Bombadil and removing the scouring of the shire in the films since return of the king the book kinda concludes in book 1 of return of the king and then the entire second half is "and we walked home and passed some trees and said hello to Tom and walked a bit more" which seemed like a bit of an anti-climax compared to the rest of the book. On the other hand wasn't sure about the way he changed the two towers tho. And on the subject of Anti Consumerism NO LOGO was pretty good but not much of a pick up and relax for a bit kinda book ;)

Edited by L_Blue

my rating  :D   :D   :D   :D   out of 5.

ATB

Mac

Its angels and demons by the way, and angels and demons comes before the da vinci code

:lol:

Ive got all of dan browns books, angels and demons is probably the best

My first outing was The Da Vinci Code, and it wasn't just the way the man writes, but he creates brilliant background and characters.

I wanted more, so I moved on to Angels and Demons, blew me away, can't say I like the word but "unputdownable" springs to mind.

For a good old fashioned swashbuckling fun, any Sharpe book by Bernard Cornwell, far superior to the TV films.

ATB

Mac

My first outing was The Da Vinci Code, and it wasn't just the way the man writes, but he creates brilliant background and characters.

I wanted more, so I moved on to Angels and Demons, blew me away, can't say I like the word but "unputdownable" springs to mind.

For a good old fashioned swashbuckling fun, any Sharpe book by Bernard Cornwell, far superior to the TV films.

ATB

Mac

Cant stand the Sharpe books myself but i know someone who loves them

Cant read fiction.

Last Book I couldnt put down was titled :

"Brothers In Arms"

( Sandra Harvey & Lindsay simpson)

A chilling & indepth exploration of the inner sanctums & tension's between two Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs.

That Ened in the 1984 "Fathers Day Masacar" in Sydney, Australia Between rival clubs Bandido's & Commancheros.

Covers, all sides of the story including the Police & by standers perspectives.

Explains athe pre bulkit tensions, the event's & subsequent & lenghthy criminal trials.

Has indepth material form all the major players of both out fits.

Terrible stroy from go-wo real waste of life type deal, but fascinating & gripping allt he same.

Dunno how the writers got them 2, but in parts some of these big gruff aremd up Tatooed hairy henchman really come across as broken men whom love, feel, hurt, cry, regret & make bad decisions akin to any of us.

Top, top read.

Ah! I remember 18 - but not very well!

I've gone 3 times around that block & a bit more.

Remember watching Alex Young & Roy Vernon though. I was there the day Gordon West came out & hung a handbag on the back of the net! (If you don't know why - ask yer dad!)

just finished reading truman capotes 'in cold blood' and i must admit it was one of the most compelling books i have read in a long time. based on the real life murders of a rural family in kansas in 1959. deals with all human angles involved including the killers. the movie 'capote' deals with the authors efforts to write this story. philip seymor hoffman won best actor for his portrayal of the writer at this years oscars. though not as good as the book it still sheds some interesting details on the background to the book. read first, watch movie later.

apart from that catch 22 is excellent(as someone mentioned already). another of my favourites is one flew over the cuckoos nest. better than the movie which is first rate. a biography which i really enjoyed was the don simpson one(ie, simpson and bruckheomer, producers of top gun, beverly hills cop....). what a nutbag.

if i think of anything else i'll get back to ya. ;)

Alan Ball - Playing Extra Time

Fantastic book by a little fella who never wanted to leave Everton, still considers himself to be a blue. Some interesting stuff about Catterick, and the World Cup Final. Good read if you're over 40.

ATB

Mac

of mice and men a great book read it twice in school and watched the film 5 times.

Excellent play also...saw it in the West End many years ago with Clive Mantle..Mike from "The Young Ones" (can't remember his name) and Susan Penhaligan(totty for our older readers). A mate of mine was in it so I went for a drink with the cast after...Clive Mantle was a top bloke, but a big Chelski fan (that was when they were shite) :lol: .

Edited by mikeo