IGNORED

Sports Personality Of The Year

Shortlist is out for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

Can make a decent case for nine of them...

Jenson Button

David Haye

Andrew Strauss

Mark Cavendish

Beth Tweddle

Phillips Idowu

Jessica Ennis

Andy Murray

Tom Daley

....and then they go and stick the joke in. Same as the PFA did voting the twat the winner of player of the year on the back of about ten games :angry: .

Ryan f'king Giggs <_< .

Now if they wanted to give him a lifetime achievement award then fine.....but Sports Personality of 2009? Against seven World champions? And you know the worst part? He'll f'king win it. Guaranteed. He's second in the betting already behind Button and closing in. And then I'll have to throw something heavy at the television. I think I need a lie down now....nursy!! :unsure:

i agree with you Mike, lifetime achievement award would be deservered. he is a model player (for the most part) achieved a hell of a lot, but sports personality? errrr.... no.

i confess my ignorance here, i dont recognise half the other candidates! if its not football, its not worth worryin about!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing against Giggs... think he's been a fantastic servant to Man U, and to footy in general, in which case he should've got some lifetime acheivement award or something.

But he's done nothing to stand out amongst a crowd of World Champions/Olympic Champions etc to warrant getting the Personality of the Year.

Few random ones in there aswell. Strauss and Murray.... thought you had to have a personality to be in with a shout!

The point is (having calmed down a bit) that if the other nine repeat their performances of the last twelve months next year then they'll be nominated again. Giggs wouldn't be.

Don't particularly blame the public for voting for him (I have long since had zero faith in the en mass intelligence of the British people...:P ) but he shouldn't have been nominated. That was down to thirty-odd "... leading sporting experts from a selection of newspaper sports editors (national and regional) and magazines." They're the ones who should take the blame.

Makes the whole thing a joke for me. Paul Scholes next year maybe? He deserves it as much as Giggs. Pathetic.

I was watching the show because there was nothing else on and regardless of the fact that Giggs got the award, there's one other thing I didn't understand:

why is the trophy a camera?

I think it is because it is The BBC (British Broadcasting Company) sports personality awards, hence the camera and I presume it is based on a replica of the old style cameras in use when the award was first presented in the late 1950's. B)

• 11 months later...

Pretty similar thing looks like happening this year to last.

Tony McCoy is hot favourite to win it....now I'm no racing buff but I don't think he did anything more special this year than in the past when he wasn't even nominated (correct me if I'm wrong).

Strikes me as another one who could happily have a lifetime achievement award but there are many more deserving based on the last twelve months (eg Graeme McDowell, Cavendish (again), Haye (again), Lee Westwood, Graeme Swann).

Don't think I'll even watch this year, it'll just piss me off.....turning into a joke.

Pretty similar thing looks like happening this year to last.

Tony McCoy is hot favourite to win it....now I'm no racing buff but I don't think he did anything more special this year than in the past when he wasn't even nominated (correct me if I'm wrong).

Strikes me as another one who could happily have a lifetime achievement award but there are many more deserving based on the last twelve months (eg Graeme McDowell, Cavendish (again), Haye (again), Lee Westwood, Graeme Swann).

Don't think I'll even watch this year, it'll just piss me off.....turning into a joke.

Wondered why he's such a strong favourite....doesn't take much research :rolleyes: .

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2010/12/18/49869-public-urged-to-vote-mccoy/

http://www.eclipsemagazine.co.uk/NewEclipse/Joomla15/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=156&Itemid=256

http://www.exeter-racecourse.co.uk/VOTE-AP-MCCOY.htm

http://www.bettingpro.com/category/Live-Streaming/Kempton-Vote-A-P-McCoy-BBC-Sports-Personality-Handicap-2010121500246/

• 11 months later...

Cavendish, then Mcilroy

Not too sure where I stand on the lack of female contenders - it is what it is, why is it an issue? The press get votes and then it's worked from there... equality for ladies sports is absolutely spot on - they get parity pay for example at wimbledon (even though they play less sets) - female lines person, snooker referee etc.

It is unfortunate that some of the sports that our ladies are prolific at aren't high profile in our country - we may have a chap who is 20 years unbeaten tiddlywinks - no one cares so that's that. Rebecca Adlington maybe should have got on there IMO, but Keri Anne Payne won gold at 10k open water swimming - it's hardly compulsive viewing. Ben Ainslie dominated his sport, if it was a popular one he would have won the title at least once - it's the way it is. PC brigade...