IGNORED

Sports Personality Of The Year

Ben Ainslie dominated his sport, if it was a popular one he would have won the title at least once - it's the way it is. PC brigade...

The annoying thing for me is the fact that for the last two years the sports editors who vote on the short list have effectively chosen the winner, by colluding to get them nominated (no other logical reason for Giggs to be up) and then lobbying for them.

This year it's quite open but you just know that if Ainslie wins another gold next year it'll be his in 2012 (unless Andy Murray wins Wimbledonrofl.gifsorry, tried to keep a straight face).

Should go back to the old system where you could vote for anybody....no earthly reason for a short-list.

Mo farrow and Dai Greene second and third I hope

Wouldn't disagree with that, but I think Darren Clarke will be up there.

I'd like to see the GB cycling road race team win the team award, three years in the planning for Cavendish to be world champ....but I suspect it'll be the England cricket team.

Wouldn't disagree with that, but I think Darren Clarke will be up there.

I'd like to see the GB cycling road race team win the team award, three years in the planning for Cavendish to be world champ....but I suspect it'll be the England cricket team.

Golfs not a sport ;):)

Not even nominated...crap. Wales nominated for being brave losers? And ManU for doing just what's expected of them? F'ck off. Sorry Mogsy/Jona.

Not even nominated...crap. Wales nominated for being brave losers? And ManU for doing just what's expected of them? F'ck off. Sorry Mogsy/Jona.

He he don't apologise I agree with you, I've absoultly love the cycling, hoping to go next year to see a stage or two of Le Tour next year

• 11 months later...

Shortlist out for this year....

Nicola Adams

Ben Ainslie

Jessica Ennis

Mo Farrah

Katherine Grainger

Chris Hoy

Rory McIlroy

Andy Murray

Ellie Simmonds

Sarah Storey

David Weir

Bradley Wiggins

Think Wiggins should get it myself....with Murray & Farrah in the top three.

I could never watch anything like this anymore, maybe at one point long ago you could watch without irritation, but now it's merely another license for a lot of back slapping banality and leather faced hyperbole, brought to us (once again) by the fucking BBC no less.

Only to say, hope Murray wins it. The kid has had a banner year, got to the Final of Wimbledon, then won Olympic Gold and beat Federer (?) in the Final at the Olympics, he has had the most amazing year of his life, if anyone deserves to win this competition, Murray should take the prize this year, he has been immense, but apart from that, not really interested.

I personally don't know any of them well enough to know what they're personalities are like, should they have one.

The "personality" bit of the title is a bit ridiculous.....it's not, and never has been, about what sort of person they are; it's all about achievement.

Just another excuse for another BBC event with some obscure faces along for the ride and put on your best clothes and get on TV or in some news publications. I never can abide any of that

Gascoigne won the award in 1990 for - Crying in a soccer game FFS !

Maybe there was more deserving athletes that calendar year, but we'll let it lie.